Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,672
# 11
01-09-2013, 03:45 AM
As others have stated this game was fairly close to balanced at one time. Not perfectly balanced of course... still much closer then it is now.

I do blame Cryptic of course... there isn't someone else developing this game last I checked. Therefore they are the ones responsible for things that work as well as things that don't. I think we can all agree more worked then not previously. What has changed is simple. Greed.

It is not hard to blame Cryptic when we all see so many other examples in the market place of developers that do strive for balance. Don't get me wrong I have yet to play a perfectly balanced game outside of chess. lmao No MMO will ever be perfectly balanced, and change in a MMO is one of the reasons we play them, so balance issues are to be expected.

However Cryptic flat out sold balance. Make no mistake about that. It started with low level ships that where clearly designed to be unbalanced to sell them. They then decided that those ships should get goodies usable come end game to help push sell through. When the numbers died down on that, instead of creating new items or content, they simply made those items ship wide universal and watched more money come in.

Then they added a grind system... a system which can be speed up, (at least in regards to item acquisition, after unlocking the ability to acquire them) by spending more money.

They also added lockboxes, an idea OTHER developers have also embraced... however have still managed to maintain balance. There is no reason lockboxes couldn't contain everything they contain now, and ship skins / uniforms / perhaps even refined dilithium reward boxes to help push sales... instead of entirely new purposely designed unbalanced ships.

Doffs, I won't even get goingon the doff system. In general I like the idea... however its clear they think nothing of balance when they introduce new doffs. By that I mean it is clear they again design them to be unbalanced. Why else would anyone spend money in an attempt to procure them.

Frankly I am still here because I love Star Trek and I crave a space combat game. Had I been smart enough to begin playing Eve 7 years ago I doubt I would have spent more then 2 weeks with STO... however as it is I do love STO. However after spending 2 years trying my best to find a suitable replacement MMO for my time... it has simply forced me to admit to myself that seemingly every single Developer in the industry has a more balanced game design then Cryptics. (they simply all make lol ground games )At this point I KNOW it is not that Cryptic does not understand balance... quite the contrary they KNOW EXACTLY what they are doing. Anyone here blaming poor planning ect, is completely wrong. They know damned well that the items / ships / skills / doffs are unbalanced, and it is quite by design. You will also notice that every unbalanced item / ship / doff ect that hits the live server is almost always tailored to be extremely powerful in a PvP setting (just look at the nuke and attack pattern doffs) they would like us to believe that PvP isn't important to them financially and yet every cash drive item they push out the door is tailored to appeal to our pocket books. If Stahl is to be believed STO is more profitable then ever... so don't expect them to change course now.

There are plenty of alternative PvP MMOs we can be playing, and frankly most of us do and simply check back in here from time to time. If you want balanced PvP, or at least to play a game where balance is at least the goal... there are offerings from ArenaNet, Turbine, CCP, Piranha, NCsoft, and even blizzard.

Heaven help Cryptics wallet if one of the upcoming space MMOs turns out to be a quality product.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 366
# 12
01-09-2013, 04:01 AM
There are upcoming space combat MMOs? What, where! Tell me NOW!
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,672
# 13
01-09-2013, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathos1978 View Post
There are upcoming space combat MMOs? What, where! Tell me NOW!
There is a Chris Roberts game coming... and there is a rumor recently that valve has a Space MMO in the works. Your right thought nothing hitting in the next few months or anything that I know of.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,678
# 14
01-09-2013, 04:42 AM
The lower level +1 ships were the start, then came the universal consoles, the oddy and now the vesta.

Doffs are are out of whack, and nearly every single new ability released since S6 started was not ready for holodeck.

These are not natural disasters striking a company doing their best, its the result of non-existant QA, and a development philosophy that embraces power creep and P2W. Only a radical change in Cryptic's management and Systems team could even begin to address these issues.

SO how about those FM for PvP??
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 432
# 15
01-09-2013, 04:43 AM
I don't think that being excessively rude is justified.

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes (technically or politically). I don't design games. All I know is what I see and on the surface it appears that balance was ruined by short sighted attempts to increase revenues, poor to nonexistent quality assurance (testing), and a lack of resources (perhaps even a lack of will) to make careful and timely adjustments.

Nothing worth doing is easy but it certainly doesn't have to be this hard. I think what we need are better long term planning and more reasonable responsiveness when issues arise.
__________________________________________
Foundry: Yet Another Borg Mission
It's terrible but easy, and these Borg are way cooler than the mess STO and Voyager left us.
May not actually be "way" cooler or even "slightly" cooler.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,325
# 16
01-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehale View Post
Nothing worth doing is easy but it certainly doesn't have to be this hard. I think what we need are better long term planning and more reasonable responsiveness when issues arise.
I absolutely agree. And its been said ever since PWE took over. The problem is, the majority of the community are PVE'ers. They don't CARE the engine they just got makes then fly too fast, they don't care the kit just released makes ground buffs/pets too powerful or the newest doffs reduce cool downs on a global scale. They either don't care because it only makes killing NPCs quicker and easier, in most cases they'll happily put more money into the game in order to take advantage of said exploits or broken content. An increasing part of me thinks things like doffs, the Vesta etc are made over powered on purpose because PWE Cryptic are the greedy bastards they are.

Fixes take time to come out because not enough money has been soaked up from the broken content, and its only to keep a very small community happy.

Its sad, and i wish i was wrong. But history speaks for itself. Feel free to keep editing my posts, Bran. I can totally copy-n-paste it back after.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 597
# 17
01-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonfl View Post
There is no need for class balance anymore. Which has made the game horribly un-fun for anyone not flying a tacscort (the only role that still has meaningful synergy between captain skill and ship ablities).

The whole game needs a balance pass, and nothing should be left out. I don't care how much money people spent to get their stuff, if it isn't balanced, it needs to be tuned. There has to be a reason to bring a sci, a tac, and an engineer on teams (PvE or PvP). Right now, there really isn't, aside from the obligitory SNB (PvP only).
lol no reason to bring a sci? even in pve you need that sci healer so tacts can do dps. even in pve you need that engy healer. now for pvp why even bring an engy healer? tacts and sci is all you need. thats why in that 3v3 pandas got rolled. because we had a sci healer. now if its ground i can see your point. just stright tacts with mk12 fire team kit.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
# 18
01-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquitaine985 View Post
I absolutely agree. And its been said ever since PWE took over. The problem is, the majority of the community are PVE'ers. They don't CARE the engine they just got makes then fly too fast, they don't care the kit just released makes ground buffs/pets too powerful or the newest doffs reduce cool downs on a global scale. They either don't care because it only makes killing NPCs quicker and easier, in most cases they'll happily put more money into the game in order to take advantage of said exploits or broken content. An increasing part of me thinks things like doffs, the Vesta etc are made over powered on purpose because PWE Cryptic are the greedy bastards they are.

Fixes take time to come out because not enough money has been soaked up from the broken content, and its only to keep a very small community happy.

Its sad, and i wish i was wrong. But history speaks for itself. Feel free to keep editing my posts, Bran. I can totally copy-n-paste it back after.

It doesn't just hurt PvP. I am a PvE player and I detest imbalance. When one build style is clearly the best by a large margin it hurts the game in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken1981 View Post
lol no reason to bring a sci? even in pve you need that sci healer so tacts can do dps. even in pve you need that engy healer. now for pvp why even bring an engy healer? tacts and sci is all you need. thats why in that 3v3 pandas got rolled. because we had a sci healer. now if its ground i can see your point. just stright tacts with mk12 fire team kit.
For one ESTF a trinity setup is nice. The others it is just better to DPS zerg I'm sorry. Even my tac defiant that has the least amount of tank of any of my ships can tank a tac cube long enough for a high DPS team to burn it down. Now when you have a bunch of failboat cruiser healers that don't even know how to crossheal and your the only one dealing damage yeah the defiant will explode first. Then after 15 seconds swoop in and finish the job.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 80
# 19
01-09-2013, 10:55 AM
I totally agree! People think that programming a videogame is a simple task, but it ISN'T!
I've been programming basic games for a while, and it's not easy too!
Have you ever tried to imagine the logic and the math behind Star Trek Online? If not, you should

PS: good luck with your game, Broken!
P2W means Play To Win

Archimede - Leader and Founder of "Raiders of Starfleet"
...and 21 other characters!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,465
# 20
01-09-2013, 11:10 AM
I'd be curious if a combo of Attack Pattern Doffs/or Tech Doffs and SNB Doffs would be enough to make Sci obsolete?

On the Fed side anyway there are ships for each ship class that can use DHCs and/or pet spam. Why wouldn't an all Tac team w/the Doffs I mentioned have a shot? Granted you control when SNB is used as a Sci captain, but it can be triggered much more in theory w/the Doffs.

I'm not encouraging it, but to me the Eng Captains take longer to kill and are the lowest threat. Many Sci Debuffs/CC Boffs have been replaced in effectiveness by setbonuses/pets/consoles/doff augmentations, so they're on their way out too. Nothing would be more annoying to fight imo than a team of Tac Captains using placate rep proc, Tet glider, Danubes, SNB Doffs, Attack Pattern/Tech Doffs, AMS and depending on the ships they're using they could through in VM/PSW as well.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:19 AM.