Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 865
# 21
01-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken1981 View Post
lol no reason to bring a sci? even in pve you need that sci healer so tacts can do dps. even in pve you need that engy healer. now for pvp why even bring an engy healer? tacts and sci is all you need. thats why in that 3v3 pandas got rolled. because we had a sci healer. now if its ground i can see your point. just stright tacts with mk12 fire team kit.
Aside from NWS, I have never seen any PvE content in this game that requires anything other than pure DPS. STF's? DPS is enough. Fleet Actions? DPS is enough and the only way to place high. Fleet Events? Again, DPS is enough. Can you provide an example, other than NWS, where anything other than DPS is required?
Quote:
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIYOTT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ: Have you wondered that maybe all the things they've added to the gaem lately is to literally make PvP unbearable? Because everything they've added has no use in PvE at all; we know the big boss hates 14 yo min maxers
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,495
# 22
01-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonfl View Post
Aside from NWS, I have never seen any PvE content in this game that requires anything other than pure DPS. STF's? DPS is enough. Fleet Actions? DPS is enough and the only way to place high. Fleet Events? Again, DPS is enough. Can you provide an example, other than NWS, where anything other than DPS is required?
To be fair the fleet mission where you buy time for freighters to get out doesn't require DPS as much as it requires remote repairs and CC. In fact more often than not I'll see a Tac waste time killing NPCs that have already killed the freighter.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 865
# 23
01-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2wsucks View Post
To be fair the fleet mission where you buy time for freighters to get out doesn't require DPS as much as it requires remote repairs and CC. In fact more often than not I'll see a Tac waste time killing NPCs that have already killed the freighter.
That is 1 case where 3 sci ships with TBR and GW can do the mission by themselves. However, I have also been on multiple runs where escorts spamming CSV have done just as well, with 0 healing of the freighters.
Quote:
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIYOTT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ: Have you wondered that maybe all the things they've added to the gaem lately is to literally make PvP unbearable? Because everything they've added has no use in PvE at all; we know the big boss hates 14 yo min maxers
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,427
# 24
01-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Again I have to disclose that I come from a spoiled background where devs took balance extremely seriously (Allstars, LoL). Actually, because the games were PvP-centered they'd focus on balance even to the expense of game stability. One of those two games was heavily monetized and while it has a lot of problems, "balance" within the game's own context isn't one of them. So it's not impossible to run a PvP, tournament-level game for profit by any means.

I would have a lot more sympathy for Cryptic if they'd simply playtest new content before randomly dumping it onto the server (or even worse, reverting to old, buggy patches of the game). They've had countless offers from the community, we've practically begged them to accept our help and it's been turned down. There's really no excuse on the, "We're pressed for time" front as far as I'm concerned. Does anyone here honestly believe the Rommie ground DOffs were tested even once? If so I have some timeshare in Florida to sell you.

Frankly I think starting a PvP training event for new players -- when the devs know fine well that the state of the game is terrible -- is insulting, and I can't even imagine what they're telling those players to expect to see in the queues. This is no fault of the organizers by absolutely any means, my finger-pointing here is aimed squarely at the devs who've been happy to accommodate while constantly deflecting worried questions about the game's sorry balance.

You either take PvP seriously or you just don't put it in the game. It's that simple, and from what I can tell Cryptic takes their game's PvP component(s?) about as seriously as they do a wino at a job interview so I'll gladly reciprocate in kind. My patience is just running so thin at this point.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 865
# 25
01-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
Again I have to disclose that I come from a spoiled background where devs took balance extremely seriously (Allstars, LoL). Actually, because the games were PvP-centered they'd focus on balance even to the expense of game stability. One of those two games was heavily monetized and while it has a lot of problems, "balance" within the game's own context isn't one of them. So it's not impossible to run a PvP, tournament-level game for profit by any means.

I would have a lot more sympathy for Cryptic if they'd simply playtest new content before randomly dumping it onto the server (or even worse, reverting to old, buggy patches of the game). They've had countless offers from the community, we've practically begged them to accept our help and it's been turned down. There's really no excuse on the, "We're pressed for time" front as far as I'm concerned. Does anyone here honestly believe the Rommie ground DOffs were tested even once? If so I have some timeshare in Florida to sell you.

Frankly I think starting a PvP training event for new players -- when the devs know fine well that the state of the game is terrible -- is insulting, and I can't even imagine what they're telling those players to expect to see in the queues. This is no fault of the organizers by absolutely any means, my finger-pointing here is aimed squarely at the devs who've been happy to accommodate while constantly deflecting worried questions about the game's sorry balance.

You either take PvP seriously or you just don't put it in the game. It's that simple, and from what I can tell Cryptic takes their game's PvP component(s?) about as seriously as they do a wino at a job interview so I'll gladly reciprocate in kind. My patience is just running so thin at this point.
I actually told Sargon, during the BootCamp makeup session last Saturday, that I was starting to feel guilty about throwing new players into the mess that is STO PvP. There is just so much broken/unbalanced stuff out there that it seems wrong, to me, to actually encourage people to play it.
Quote:
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIYOTT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ: Have you wondered that maybe all the things they've added to the gaem lately is to literally make PvP unbearable? Because everything they've added has no use in PvE at all; we know the big boss hates 14 yo min maxers
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,427
# 26
01-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonfl View Post
I actually told Sargon, during the BootCamp makeup session last Saturday, that I was starting to feel guilty about throwing new players into the mess that is STO PvP. There is just so much broken/unbalanced stuff out there that it seems wrong, to me, to actually encourage people to play it.
I've been super on the fence about lending a hand, originally I was all gung-ho about the idea but one issue after the other has just filled me with total doubt about the game. I'm more than happy to help new players and teach them the few things I know but I haven't found an answer as to how to let them in on the cold hard truth. Many of these players don't have the luxury we do of in-house games or rules matches between clean teams, and the queues are a total Wild West really.

I can just see new players getting AoE-subnuked by a timeship or AMS -> tric bombed for the first time or having their buffs randomly disappear from SNB DOffs and they'll quit out of frustration because what I taught them didn't prepare them for it. Sure, we can give them the appropriate countermeasures, but the bottom line is that we shouldn't have to and we'd be prepping them for a game that's fundamentally not enjoyable to play.

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,360
# 27
01-09-2013, 12:50 PM
My opinion - PvP balance isn't really worth anyone's attention until the actual PvP gameplay options are developed into more than an afterthought. I'm not even interested in taking it into account when planning individual character builds. I'll do what's fun for me, not what optimizes me for spending hours corkscrewing to the top of Arena over and over, or trying to convince people to actually capture in Capture and Hold.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,495
# 28
01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonfl View Post
That is 1 case where 3 sci ships with TBR and GW can do the mission by themselves. However, I have also been on multiple runs where escorts spamming CSV have done just as well, with 0 healing of the freighters.
Idk, at least from my limited experience of doing them on the KDF DPS won't do it alone vs Tholians, KDF, Fek (sp). At minimum HE and TT are needed until the incoming debuffs/dps are reduced.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 81
# 29 I am liking it.
01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
I have been here since launch and have participated in a lot of pvp over that time. I did quit after the STFs started giving end game gear, but only to acquire competitive gear for pvp. Since those builds were not ideal for pvp I took a hiatus. Now that I have the rep system on the way, I started to pvp again.
Hate to say it, but I am liking the balance: the game feels a little slower and when I am in a dog fight there is always a point where I either feel like I have him or I know that he has me. Contrary to how I used to feel, which was vulnerable all the time. I would not claim to be an expert, but I am liking pvp over the last 3 weeks.
It goes without saying that they can improve the pvp content, i.e. maps, objectives,etc.
If you have not been in pvp for a while you should try it out.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 563
# 30
01-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2wsucks View Post
To be fair the fleet mission where you buy time for freighters to get out doesn't require DPS as much as it requires remote repairs and CC. In fact more often than not I'll see a Tac waste time killing NPCs that have already killed the freighter.
With a high enough DPS you could BFaW and/or Scatter Shot and draw aggro away from the freighters.

We never wasted any heals on those things, we just drew aggro away and repaired ourselves.

So yes, everything in this game IS skewed towards having DPS.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02 PM.