Career Officer
# 41
01-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfleetlufia View Post
Oh noes gear grind is the only end game no company has ever done that before pushing you into dailies to obtain your gear as the only end game content oh wait ...... ALL OF THEM now stop whining and go back to it
And yet clearly you haven't played many of those gear grinds. If you had you would know gear grinds are usually accompanied by....wait for it... content for said gear! The Rom missions are incredibly easy and SLOW and therefore BORING. Mine trap is merely decent, but positively shines when compared to the rest of S7.
Career Officer
# 42
01-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
And I predicted that would be unsustainable, as did everybody else with lots of MMO experience and/or industry knowledge. And look; it was unsustainable.

The only way story content can stay ahead of the average player's play curve is with UGC; a company just can't do it with paid employees, it's not possible.
Well it was sustainable/possible for 6 months ...

I always thought the whole "It took us 1 year to make FE-4, too much resources, not sustainable yaddayadda" statement was kind of funny .... because that would only make sense if they started working on FE 1-3 in 1997 or so ...

Last edited by thutmosis85; 01-10-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Captain
# 43
01-10-2013, 09:29 AM
More than likey as I will have gotten sick of it and add the omega marks which doubles it.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Career Officer
# 44
01-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyranger1414 View Post
And yet clearly you haven't played many of those gear grinds. If you had you would know gear grinds are usually accompanied by....wait for it... content for said gear! The Rom missions are incredibly easy and SLOW and therefore BORING. Mine trap is merely decent, but positively shines when compared to the rest of S7.

sky I've played over 20 mmo's I've reached top level and had some of the best gear in those games i have a full set of the current top gear in world of failcraft I'm quite familiar with the grind specially since its not all that different then grinding rep in mist of faildaria

Maybe I'm just not as easily bored as you after spending years of playing Linage II this game and every game since have been Easy Mode
Vice Admiral Lufia Rushu
Commander, R.R.W. Ravenclaw
"I would use my Legacy of Romulus title but everyone and their father use that"
Captain
# 45
01-10-2013, 09:37 AM
I already stopped over a month ago at T2 before deciding its a waste of effort.

Almost the entire Romulan rep system is fail. All the energy damage type is plasma, so useless in pvp, the Reman and Romulan sets are junk, most of the stuff their is way overpriced for what it does to. Fortunately its mostly unnecessary, I just went to T2 for the crit passive and console then stopped after that since all the items and passives beyond that are mostly useless or mediocre.

I might be interested in Romulan rep if more items were added like a Romulan ground set with unique visuals, and the energy type was something other then plasma. Also marks need to be easier to earn other then epohh farming, I'd like to be able to earn marks at a reasonable rate comparable to omega marks on elite STFs, and not by raising epohh.
Commander
# 46
01-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfleetlufia View Post
sky I've played over 20 mmo's I've reached top level and had some of the best gear in those games i have a full set of the current top gear in world of failcraft I'm quite familiar with the grind specially since its not all that different then grinding rep in mist of faildaria

Maybe I'm just not as easily bored as you after spending years of playing Linage II this game and every game since have been Easy Mode
I have to agree that all the gear grinds are roughly equally dumb.

Even the ones involving interesting content or story become a chore after the fourth time or so.
Repetitiveness still is the key to endgame gear it seems.
Rihannsu
# 47
01-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutmosis85 View Post
Well it was sustainable for 6 months ...

I always thought the whole "It took us 1 year to make FE-4, too much resources, not sustainable yaddayadda" statement was kind of funny .... because that would only make sense if they started working on FE 1-3 in 1997 or so ...
They could have kept going. IF they hadn't added ANYTHING else to the game.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 48
01-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
And I predicted that would be unsustainable, as did everybody else with lots of MMO experience and/or industry knowledge. And look; it was unsustainable.

The only way story content can stay ahead of the average player's play curve is with UGC; a company just can't do it with paid employees, it's not possible.
And yet other MMOs can also regularly churn out new questlines several times a year. LOTRO just released an expansion containing the largest landmass they've ever created, along with over 400 new quests, a continuation of the Epic storyline, new systems (e.g., mounted combat, open tapping, new looting) and are following up with a free instance/raid pack.

I do think it's unlikely that cryptic could maintain a steady supply of FE quality missions; however, expecting new regular mission arcs and the occasional FE should not be too difficult for an MMO company.

It's not a matter of staying ahead of the players in STO's case. STO released with less mission content than most MMOs release with and is well behind the curve for adding new mission content. This would be a case of STO playing catch-up to reach a solid level of mission content, not trying to stay ahead. This is sad considering how they've developed superb storytelling tools/systems and a spectacular environment to deploy them in.

Nothing in an MMO is more boring to me than repetitive "endgame" grind that does nothing other than net new gear to grind the same stuff more efficiently. I'd rather roll a new character and play hundreds (or thousands) of storyline missions again than continue to run the same relative handful of dailies/raids.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Because as with the WW Epohhs, once you've got a chain going, you can keep it going - but despite what people are saying, Epohh tagging is as much of a meaningless grind as any other part of Season 7 - yes, you can make a big pile of Marks doing it, but will you be having fun? I don't see how really.
Which equates to another ham-handed play by Cryptic to over-manage the players. There should be at least two more maps that produce RM's. Epohh herding is about as much fun as fiddling with tribbles, that is to say not at all IMO. What irks me most about this situation is that I haven't seen a word from Cryptic at least addressing this.
Commander
# 50
01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
They could have kept going. IF they hadn't added ANYTHING else to the game.
For FE level content, perhaps. But this does not give a pass on standard story arc content that does not require a plethora of new systems to produce.

The writers/content designers can use existing assets to set up new storylines while the systems, art, and engineering teams continue to design new stuff. Currently, they're letting the Foundry authors fill that role for them, with mixed results.

I'm hoping that all of the new systems, etc., that Cryptic has added over the last year have been in preparation for even better story arcs and mission content (things that couldn't have been done with the old systems perhaps). New systems need engaging content to go with them.

The systems added would truly enhance their already powerful storytelling tools. It could be great. Time will tell.