Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3451

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3638

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3638

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3584

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 3584

LTS has NOT spent any RL $$$ - Page 7 - Star Trek Online
Commander
# 61
01-10-2013, 05:14 PM
I had this number floating in my head.
I'd imagine STO to earns something between $100.000 and $1.000.000 per month (I basicly imagine a lot of people paying $1)
Let's say $5.000.000 per year -> $416.666 per month.

Total labor costs I'd imagine something like $4.000 per head per month on average (I don't have the slightest idea since I'm from Europe).
Times 50 this is $200.000 per month, which works quite well with the presumed $416.666 and the premise of ongoing expansion (and server costs, profit, et cetera).

It would also mean that at least a good part of the revenue is spent on STO.
In any case: These numbers have no basis in reality (but I tend to get surprised by the accuracy of my wildest estimates time and again, so I have some slight confidence that it's not totally off).

He's dead, Jim.
Republic Veteran
# 62
01-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Once new items are introduced into the C-Store, the demand for Zen will increase. You will then see the exchange go the other way.
If you believe the sky is the limit, you are aiming too low. We must reach beyond the stars - Ambassador Otungku
Republic Veteran
# 63
01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolimpicard View Post
I had this number floating in my head.
I'd imagine STO to earns something between $100.000 and $1.000.000 per month (I basicly imagine a lot of people paying $1)
Let's say $5.000.000 per year -> $416.666 per month.

Total labor costs I'd imagine something like $4.000 per head per month on average (I don't have the slightest idea since I'm from Europe).
Times 50 this is $200.000 per month, which works quite well with the presumed $416.666 and the premise of ongoing expansion (and server costs, profit, et cetera).

It would also mean that at least a good part of the revenue is spent on STO.
In any case: These numbers have no basis in reality (but I tend to get surprised by the accuracy of my wildest estimates time and again, so I have some slight confidence that it's not totally off).
I have full confidence that will not be the case here.

Career Officer
# 64
01-10-2013, 05:18 PM
hmm so I guess I'm one of the few who found a foundry mission that completes within 90 seconds.

if you spent less time whinning and more time trying to exploit the game, you wouldn't worry about the change rate, you would have all the free dilithium you need jumping from alt to alt.

Everything changes, but nothing is really different.
Republic Veteran
# 65
01-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Just add a re-trait token to the C store...and poof watch that Zen go up

Commander
# 66
01-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
I have full confidence that will not be the case here.
You can believe me: I would be pleased.

The accuracy of my estimates is so pervasively good that I am disappointed if an estimate was fairly accurate once again.
It becomes boring and life feels predictable.
I can get a laugh out of the idea of some Cryptic manager looking at the numbers and cringing... how could he know?! But frankly, I'm fine with settling on the numbers being a thought experiment and figment of my imagination.

I'm no business analyst or anything - and I suppose that with some research a realistic estimate could be created.

He's dead, Jim.
Survivor of Romulus
# 67
01-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolimpicard View Post
This is perfectly valid and correct, but you cannot disregard Cryptics influence in shaping dilitihum demand.
The prices would not have developed the way they did had Cryptic not introduced the fleet and reputation projects with a huge dilithium component.
It is consequently very clear that it's not solely the players that are responsible - altho they were willing participants.
Cryptic has changed incentives - and players have responded.
It's absolutely not the case that players "simply decided to settle for a lower exchange ratio".
This wouldn't happen for no reason either way.
Quite right their influence in providing dil sinks can't be ignored. Vanity projects costing 200k dil, various other projects that require smaller amounts of dil. Stocking the stores in the starbase then paying dil and fc for gear. Then the rep system where we have a double hit of the omega system being introduced along with S7 content/rep system.

Everyone wants to spend dil for gear or projects. Despite the dil costs this is an improvement over what it used to be like. Considerably less dil sinks and the dil exchange was a less liquid market. The price could be controlled using 200 to 300 CP through the week. Trying to do the same now would just be a drop in the ocean. Last weekend there was easily $2500 to $3000 worth of zen on the market just at the current market price. A similar value of dil sitting on the buy orders on the other side of the market.

This situation will smooth out as more players finish tier 5 and then finish getting the gear they want. I didn't play much when the rep systems came out so I've only hit tier 4 today. I'm more in need of omega marks than dil at the moment.
Career Officer
# 68
01-10-2013, 05:24 PM
You shouldnt buy their zen points to begin with. Least of all for lockboxes. Dont support this gambling nonsense .... IF you wanted to make a post about you making a fool of yourself you have succeeded.
Survivor of Romulus
# 69
01-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricophoff View Post
You shouldnt buy their zen points to begin with. Least of all for lockboxes. Dont support this gambling nonsense .... IF you wanted to make a post about you making a fool of yourself you have succeeded.
Have you posted in the correct thread?
Career Officer
# 70
01-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devian666 View Post
Have you posted in the correct thread?
Believe it or not, it does speak to the OP (albeit in a harsh way)
I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.