Career Officer
# 41
01-11-2013, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I don't do STF's because I know very well I'm not up to it yet--and frankly, I do not want to go through the many sessions of getting yelled at from people who think everyone ought to be perfect, that I can see I would get if I tried...

...Attitudes like what I am seeing here are the reason I don't even ATTEMPT to learn how to do STFs.
I held off on STF's for a long time for the same reason. I finally started doing normals with the chat turned off. I probably make some folks mad, but oh well. I get enough grief in RL. I follow the "rules" and use some common sense and it usually works out ok. Not always, but most of the time.

Porthos is not amused.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-11-2013, 06:19 AM
I personally would rather have people try out the STFs and do horribly than be afraid to play them because they feel they are not ready.
Commander
# 43
01-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedguy View Post
I personally would rather have people try out the STFs and do horribly than be afraid to play them because they feel they are not ready.
From my experience those who think they're not ready yet are about ready.
Most of them have understood it's a good idea to use only one damage type etc.

It's the utterly unthinking players that cause the biggest problems.
They might be Level 50, but it doesn't mean they have any understanding about how to fit a ship.

He's dead, Jim.
Captain
# 44
01-11-2013, 06:26 AM
Why do people always start these threads with a massive rant, and NOTHING constructive to help any new player that wanders in.

Is it really so hard to put something like "if you want to avoid being the subject of this kind of thread, read this: http://www.stoacademy.com/walkthrough/stf/ " at the end of the OP???
Starfleet Veteran
# 45
01-11-2013, 06:40 AM
I go into normal STF's from time to time and show groups how to do it correctly. I do both ground and space.

Anybody else trying that?

The only thing I can't stand is someone who AFK's. Beyond that, whatever happens, happens.

I am not going to be an elitest to the point where I tell others what is wrong with their builds.
I am not going to be an elitest to the point where I tell others what I think they should be doing when they are still close enough to right.

And from what I have read in chat from my fellow elitest, you shouldn't be doing it either.
Captain
# 46
01-11-2013, 06:59 AM
Ah the joys of being done with Omega rep.

Failing the optional doesn't actually matter anymore.

Still, OP I feel your pain. Ever dropped into an STF with two people flying Connies? That's infuriating.
Lieutenant
# 47
01-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Lol, after reading this thread and answering to it, the team and i failed the optional on infected conduit XD
My Let's Plays:
https://www.youtube.com/sovereign001
Captain
# 48
01-11-2013, 08:03 AM
If you are nervous about doing STFs, start with Normal. Start with Cure-Normal, particularly.

Say 'hey, I'm new, what do I do?' and listen. (Cure normal is pretty easy -- I've been in groups where two people disconnected for most of the match and we still got the thing done)

In Elite, go look up the general approaches to doing it. Ideally, go in with a Fleet or channel PUG the first time or two, until you get the hang of it.

Again, tell people 'hey, I'm new, what do I do?'

Communication counts for a lot.
Captain
# 49
01-11-2013, 08:11 AM
I have an answer to your problem. Join a channel designed specifically to the need of people who want to do Elite STFs. PublicEliteSTF is one such channel. Like the name suggests, it's a public channel and you do not need an invite. Simply type [/channel_join PublicEliteSTF] (without the brackets) to join it.

We are a laid back channel, however we do have a few rules, which are there to make sure that everybody has a pleasant experience doing STFs as well as ways to deal with a griefer.
<Click here for channel rules>

Happy huntings
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-11-2013, 10:51 AM
I started out with regular STF`s. I died and I had some troubles but it was decent. Once I got to the point that I was handling and taking down the borg easily I desided to move to Elite. Elite is a whole different ball game and even being very good at regular STF`s doesnt mean youll be great at elite.

It took me a couple months working on my build and respecing my captain not once but twice to get a setup that I could run Elites with, without popping like a party popper every chance. If I go into regular STF`s now, its a bore for me as my shields dont even shudder.

In the end the point is though even in elites people screw up that know whats going on and even in elites you can still die. I still die to this day in elite from time to time at the hands of very lucky one shot kills. I dont know how many times ive been taken out by one shot weapons from 100% shields and hull.