Captain
# 111
01-14-2013, 02:18 PM
I assumed that the Enterprise NCC-1701 was granted the Starfleet Delta in honor of the NX-01 because the Delta was the symbol of Starfleet Command, so what new ship could carry the weight and honor of Starfleet, the Enterprise.
Commander
# 112
01-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarion79 View Post
I assumed that the Enterprise NCC-1701 was granted the Starfleet Delta in honor of the NX-01 because the Delta was the symbol of Starfleet Command, so what new ship could carry the weight and honor of Starfleet, the Enterprise.
Actually, that's a bit of a fault in terms of continuality. Since Enterprise was produced well after the Original Series, they introduced elements that had no place in what had been established in the series universe in order to win fan connection and attachment (the famous star-shift that placed the Klingon homeworld only a few days away from Earth at Warp 5 when it took months to get from Earth to the Federation borders in TOS was another).

The original chevron was the symbol selected for the Enterprise, but the ship had only slightly higher prestige than the other twelve Constitution class ships of the time, all of which had lengthy and honoured histories behind their namesakes the equal of Enterprise (Indeed, look up the histories of ships named Lexington, Exeter, Potempkin, and especially Constitution). The only reason it was adopted by Starfleet as their default symbol was that Enterprise was the only ship of the original twelve to complete her five-year mission without being lost or removed from service.
Captain
# 113
01-15-2013, 09:38 AM
It doesn't matter when or what the series were made, I just see ENT filling in pieces to the larger Trek puzzle, just like STO does. Besides, the USS Kelvin from 2233 and the USS Ariel from 2270 both had the Delta as their ship's patch besides the Enterprise.

I see using the Delta as a way to unify the fleet.
Rihannsu
# 114
01-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Because "to each their own". There are a couple of the more modern shows that I don't particularly care for, but that doesn't mean I'll complain if someone gets their Voyager bundle.

I find the lack of tolerance for diversity that some players have to be perplexing.. the central message of any Trek series just flies over their heads.

The Qin Raptor is from the Enterprise era. And yet I'd bet a good KDF player can pop just about anyone in that ship. If people want to fly ships from other eras/their favorite shows, let them (and as zstore sales/people running around in older uniforms prove, there IS a significant demand for them) You like the new designs better, use them.

Live and let live. Live long and Prosper.
Captain
# 115
01-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarion79 View Post
It doesn't matter when or what the series were made, I just see ENT filling in pieces to the larger Trek puzzle, just like STO does. Besides, the USS Kelvin from 2233 and the USS Ariel from 2270 both had the Delta as their ship's patch besides the Enterprise.

I see using the Delta as a way to unify the fleet.
The use of the Enterprise Delta in the past is pretty much just a retcon to avoid confusing younger audiences.

In fact, much of the Enterprise show was a retcon to avoid confusing younger audiences...
Republic Veteran
# 116
01-15-2013, 11:02 AM
New Old

Armitage
Thunderchild
Zephyr
Oslo
Phoenix
Cerberus
Chimera
Vesta (Was built in a timeline that does not exist in this game and never seen the light of day outside the books so I'll put it in new)
Magellan
Polaris
Sol
Comet
Destiny
Trident
Oracle
Nimbus
Avenger
Vanguard
Emissary
Nomad
Majestic
Noble
Regent
Odyssey
Venture
Celestial
Envoy
Sao Paulo
Vigilant
Gallant
Bellerophon
Cochrane
Discovery
Excalibur
Exeter
Vesper
Gladius
Rapier
Ushaan
Aurora
Quasar
Hope
Horizon
Dervish
Gryphon
Hermes
Maelstrom

NX
Constitution
Miranda
Oberth
Steamrunner
Saber
Cheyenne
Nova (which was seen on screen in the 25th century kicking butt as the Rhode Island)
Excelsior
Akira
Olympic (don't know what to do with this being it was shown in the future in the 25th century so it's technically not old)
Nebula
Ambassador
Galaxy
Defiant
Intrepid
Sovereign
Luna (but would still be in service)
Galaxy refit (Old but was also seen in the 25th century)

I think it's safe to say we are not going to be overrun by old canon ships anytime soon or ever since all the famous girls pretty much are in the game)

Last edited by neoakiraii; 01-15-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Captain
# 117
01-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Even though the Olympic was shown in the Alt 25th Century, the class has been referenced in DS9. The Nova was shown in Voyager as the Equinox.

Actually, the Aventine was commissioned before the events of the Destiny series in 2379 and since you have the Luna in with the old, Vesta should be placed in there too.

You forgot the Centaur.

In re ENT, keep thinking that, since TNG was supposed to be the penultimate Trek, well the first two seasons under Roddenberry's helm. In fact each subsequent series was the upgrade for the new younger audiences.