Commander
# 41
01-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Yeah really. Change out the old systems put in new ones and send the ship back into service. What do you get when you a 2409 model shield on a 2269 model ship? A ship with as tough a shield as a 2409 model ship. :p
I fail to see why not so long as the warp core was updated to provide the correct amount of power for it.

Besides, most of the 2409 versions of the ships would be built from the ground up with 2409 technology, ships do contain a lot of materials that are difficult or impossible to replicate, so smaller ships would use less of these materials and therefore be easier to build.

And it does make sense that starships have non-replicable materials in their construction, otherwise they'd have gigantic replicators in place of shipyards and would just replicate entire ships instead of repairing them.
Career Officer
# 42
01-12-2013, 01:59 AM
i wish they'd wipe away all ToS, Tng, Pre 2409 ships and uniform i came with the promise of 2409 not this attempt at cashing in on the old people that can't adapt and move on people like this have been holding back trek the enterprise being the most face palming decision on a series ever in scifi i want new stuff if i i wanted old stuff i would have watched the tv shows

Swtor did the same crap they blended the prequals, the original movies and bang you got an abomination that appeals to the mainstream people so sad and wasted no wonder the game is doing terrible
Vice Admiral Lufia Rushu
Commander, R.R.W. Ravenclaw
"I would use my Legacy of Romulus title but everyone and their father use that"
Republic Veteran
# 43
01-12-2013, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfleetlufia View Post
i wish they'd wipe away all ToS, Tng, Pre 2409 ships and uniform i came with the promise of 2409 not this attempt at cashing in on the old people that can't adapt and move on people like this have been holding back trek the enterprise being the most face palming decision on a series ever in scifi i want new stuff if i i wanted old stuff i would have watched the tv shows

Swtor did the same crap they blended the prequals, the original movies and bang you got an abomination that appeals to the mainstream people so sad and wasted no wonder the game is doing terrible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQfzwFloVqA
Starfleet Veteran
# 44
01-12-2013, 02:16 AM
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HJxya0CWco
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91851990000&dateline=  1341951426
Career Officer
# 45
01-12-2013, 02:21 AM
if you don't have a counter argument to preserving the proper time line of 2409 then don't post all this ships do nothing but degrade the suppose future time line we are suppose to be in
Vice Admiral Lufia Rushu
Republic Veteran
# 46
01-12-2013, 02:33 AM
So yes, the old ships rock, still have not heard a good reason why we should not have them.
Career Officer
# 47
01-12-2013, 02:35 AM
The simple answer is that Cryptic an sell them better than any new design they might come up with. Many of Cryptics house designed ships look so horrible that I prefer flying the old canon ones instead.
Starfleet Veteran
# 48
01-12-2013, 02:42 AM
Quote:
if you don't have a counter argument to preserving the proper time line of 2409 then don't post all this ships do nothing but degrade the suppose future time line we are suppose to be in
I used to think that. I fought and railed against it for a couple years, but you know what? That ship has already sailed. Wait, scratch that. That ship has sailed, reached its destination, picked up some new passengers and sailed again.

We are so far past reasonable with all the old ships, non-Starfleet / non-KDF ships, ships from hundreds of years in the game's future, ships from the mirror universe, heck, ships from outright enemy factions, that its not even worth bothering anymore. We fought that war, and we lost, badly.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91851990000&dateline=  1341951426
Career Officer
# 49
01-12-2013, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
So yes, the old ships rock, still have not heard a good reason why we should not have them.
that's like the british navy putting the HMS Victory back into service .... its old but still rocks by your definition so surely this ancient first rate will be on line with the newest line of ships now do you see the futility of your statement
Vice Admiral Lufia Rushu
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-12-2013, 03:16 AM
Quote:
In the real world, some weapons and vehicles go on being used with few changes for quite long times. When I was in Iraq, I was a gunner on a truck which mounted an M2 Browning .50 calibre machine-gun, designed in 1933. My particular gun was built in 1939. It was rebuilt several times, but the only changes from the original design were the addition of a safety and mounting rails for modern optics.

The B-52s that the US Air Force currently flies were built in 1960. The current plan is to fly them until 2044.

In the real world, war machines get replaced when an entirely new technology emerges; steam ships replaced sail, steel ships replaced wood, missiles replaced cannons, etc. But if there are no new developments, or if the new technology can just be bolted in to old machines (the current fleet of 50-year old bombers has new engines and electronics inside the old airframes) then there is no reason that the old machines can't remain in service.

If you carry that into the Star Trek universe, there hasn't really been a change in what constitutes a starship. The components have advanced but it's all evolutionary change instead of revolutionary.

As has been mentioned before, the Miranda, Excelsior, and Oberth classes were all shown in service for a century, though the Miranda and Excelsior classes were upgraded extensively. There's no reason to think that trend wouldn't continue.

Last edited by inktomi19; 01-12-2013 at 03:23 AM.