Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,005
# 81
01-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I disagree. It is quite common IRL for designers to make multiple prototype vessels that DO get used, but only one. These prototypes usually have a large percentage of off the shelf parts but are otherwise novel designs. I have no problem visualizing many of the one-of ships as things Starfleet built just to see if it was a good idea.
But none of the ships I listed were one-of-a-kind ships, they were full production runs. We've seen at least two Intrepid-class ships that were not the Intrepid-class prototype, as well as at least four Defiant-class ships that were not the U.S.S. Defiant herself.

The fact that all of these classes of ships were developed and then had full production runs suggests that Starfleet not only commissioned these ships for design and production, but had an intended purpose for them that current ships could not fill (or at least, could not fill as well).
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,005
# 82
01-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Beam Banks (aka the turrets) technically are just as powerful in output as a single emitter on a Phaser Array (strips). Phaser Arrays end up consisting of multiple emitters that linked together give more efficency during combat.

And they could've easily put phaser strips on the models, they just didn't feel the need to.
That doesn't address my point, though -- if those turrets were as powerful as the strips, but took up less room, then why did newer ships still feature phaser strips as a part of their design?


Quote:
And you are wrong about them not modeling older ships, they modeled them alongside the newer ships as well. In fact the remastered Enterprise came from DS9's Tribble episode.
I never said they didn't model older ships. They had a CG Excelsior that was destroyed during the first Battle of Chin'toka, actually. What I said was, when they switched over to CG, you saw a lot more newer ships than you did previously.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,121
# 83
01-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
But none of the ships I listed were one-of-a-kind ships, they were full production runs. We've seen at least two Intrepid-class ships that were not the Intrepid-class prototype, as well as at least four Defiant-class ships that were not the U.S.S. Defiant herself.

The fact that all of these classes of ships were developed and then had full production runs suggests that Starfleet not only commissioned these ships for design and production, but had an intended purpose for them that current ships could not fill (or at least, could not fill as well).
By one-of prototypes, I was really talking about the stuff Okuda and Jein made in their Kitbash fests.....
See: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/ds9tm.htm http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/kitbash.htm

But Voyager was at least in part an experimental vessel. Such as the Bio-Neural gel packs....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,005
# 84
01-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
By one-of prototypes, I was really talking about the stuff Okuda and Jein made in their Kitbash fests.....
See: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/ds9tm.htm http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/kitbash.htm

But Voyager was at least in part an experimental vessel. Such as the Bio-Neural gel packs....
The bio-neural gel packs may have been an experimental technology, but that's a long way from saying Voyager was an experimental vessel -- after all, they did say they could still replace the gel packs with conventional isolinear circuitry.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,808
# 85
01-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
And you are wrong about them not modeling older ships, they modeled them alongside the newer ships as well. In fact the remastered Enterprise came from DS9's Tribble episode.
Nope - the 1701 Connie in DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations" was a physical model. Not a digitally created one. The one in the TOS remastered project was made from scratch (specifically for that project) using the model in the Smithsonian as a reference. They also redid the CGI model to reduce the render time after 6 episodes were produced.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Community Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,659
# 86
01-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Because some of us have been waiting for this game for 46 years.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 911
# 87
01-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Because some of us have been waiting for this game for 46 years.
*ding* Exactly.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,732
# 88
01-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
And this thing: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Insectoid_ship

Hehehe.... It looks like loads of fun to fly.
That's the "Ancients" Droyne ship they lifted from Traveler RPG.

Now THAT would be a rockin MMO!
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.

Last edited by thlaylierah; 01-12-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13,121
# 89
01-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
That's the "Ancients" Droyne ship they lifted from Traveler RPG.

Now THAT would be a rockin MMO!
I suspect it's the other way around.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Beyo...Star_(episode) was originally aired in 1973.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travell...-playing_game) the first volume was published in 1977.
It seems clear to me which came first.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,085
# 90
01-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Chant with me, Bortas Bortas (from ENT), well we did get the KDF battlecruiser that was supposed to be in the episode Trip got pregnant (the Koro'tinga).

If it is an TOS ship, I would like to see the Federation-class battleship or the Archer-class scout with a sprinkling of a TOS edition Miranda-class.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:35 PM.