Career Officer
# 21
01-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I'm gonna nip my imagination on this in the bud, personally, and assume he's talking about D7s as the Klingon 3rd anniversary counterpart to the Ambassador and the Andorian destroyer from Enterprise. I don't think he's talking FEDERATION TOS ships.
Party Pooper...
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Career Officer
# 22
01-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hravik View Post
Barring a new deal being made, anything assets wise (aside from the Hobus thing we have for story) from the new movies are a nono. Paramount has the movies, and Cryptic only has a deal with CBS.
Prior to some reorganization, Cryptic did deal with Paramount for the Excelsior and the WoK uniforms, if memory serves. CBS didn't control the pre-JJ Abrams movies the whole time and Paramount cooperated with Cryptic in the design phases, which is why the WoK jacket was released with Paramount Home DVDs. I think that all got shifted over to CBS at some point.

A deal could be possible but it would almost have to be tied to a product Paramount wanted to sell. Ie. STID tickets, a deluxe ST 2009 DVD/Bluray, or some other movie merch.

My preference would be to see the Kelvin uniforms, J.J. uniforms, and starter ship bundled into the Star Trek game from Namco, with an ad and/or downloader for STO.

It would encourage people to play both games and discourage rivalry. And I could see Paramount perhaps going with that.
Rihannsu
# 23
01-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptskeeteruk View Post
I would love to see the original bop from tos not the crap lookin thing from enterprise which cryptic have put in even tho its really old even older than the tos ones.

Also id love to see a first federation ship in the game as a random event of sorts and see how barok or whatever his name was is doing.
Balok. And Yeah, that would be interesting. The Fesarius is HUGE though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hravik View Post
Barring a new deal being made, anything assets wise (aside from the Hobus thing we have for story) from the new movies are a nono. Paramount has the movies, and Cryptic only has a deal with CBS.
I'd be surprised if CBS didn't put a clause into the movie deal saying they have the rights and can do whatever with them.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 24
01-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captiandata1 View Post
maybe there was a canon uss kelvin ncc-514 in the prime universe that looked more like tos went to investagate a phenoma that turned out to be the nervana coming to the past and was changed to the jj uss kelvin ncc-0514

You seem to be missing the point (or I am misreading what you are saying).

Cryptic can't use any ship/uniform/etc from the JJverse, because they don't have the rights to it. Cryptic's license is with CBS who only owns the TV shows/TAS/and the movies up to Nemisis. Anything in there is fair game via the agreement with CBS. Anything outside of that (Barring a few books) is a No no.
Captain
# 25
01-11-2013, 10:23 PM
And tbh who would want the rights to the new star trek movie stuff, its all alot of insults to traditional and established trek. I hate reboots and i hate the new trek films, i mean id watch em but i still hate em. :p

So hopefully sto will keep that stuff out of the game.
Career Officer
# 26
01-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
You seem to be missing the point (or I am misreading what you are saying).

Cryptic can't use any ship/uniform/etc from the JJverse, because they don't have the rights to it. Cryptic's license is with CBS who only owns the TV shows/TAS/and the movies up to Nemisis. Anything in there is fair game via the agreement with CBS. Anything outside of that (Barring a few books) is a No no.
Actually, I think Cryptic might be able to work around with the Kelvin.

Technically speaking, the Kelvin was just a Saladin-class with a TOS Consitution engineering hull on the upper pylon. And since the TOS design is nothing even close to the JJ Kelvin, I think Cryptic could add it to the game without any issues, since the licencing is technically with the Kelvin seen in the movies.

And to me, it would be better if Cryptic had a TOS Kelvin than a JJ Kelvin, since it would fit better with the Prime design genre. But of course those who like the JJ Kelvin would probably like to see it in game as well, so hopefully they could work things out.
Career Officer
# 27
01-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Actually, I think Cryptic might be able to work around with the Kelvin.

Technically speaking, the Kelvin was just a Saladin-class with a TOS Consitution engineering hull on the upper pylon. And since the TOS design is nothing even close to the JJ Kelvin, I think Cryptic could add it to the game without any issues, since the licencing is technically with the Kelvin seen in the movies.

And to me, it would be better if Cryptic had a TOS Kelvin than a JJ Kelvin, since it would fit better with the Prime design genre. But of course those who like the JJ Kelvin would probably like to see it in game as well, so hopefully they could work things out.
I don't think Cryptic could show or reference the "Saladin class" though. Yes, it appeared onscreen in an MSD but it appeared FIRST in Franz Joseph's technical manual, published by Del Ray, which falls outside the Pocket Books license, and wasn't called by name in the film.

I suspect they have about as much rights to the Saladin class as they have to the 1984 Chevy Cavalier Sedan, which turned up in the background of Star Trek IV. It was a third party design from a third party source, used for flavor.

At best, they might be able to use the unmodded MSD in the background, restricted to exactly how it appeared in STII and STIII.
Career Officer
# 28
01-11-2013, 11:54 PM
I'd say there's a better case for the Ralph McQuarrie Enterprise design as that was commissioned for a film (ostensibly work for hire for Paramount on a project CBS most likely inherited) and the model itself was used in STIII and in TNG.

And it's not about being pretty or being canon. It's about who owns what.
Career Officer
# 29
01-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Don't forget it was used as in the wreckage scenes in Best of Both Worlds and the space junkyard.

But we will find out if they were referencing the Saladin or not, but not sure if Franz Jospeh has design rights since he based the Saladin, Hermes, and Federation classes off the Consitution.
Career Officer
# 30
01-12-2013, 12:43 AM
While I'm also hopeful, I agree that TOS doesn't have to mean Starfleet vessels at all. Between the original broadcast and the remastered version made later, there are additional designs to draw from.

Just as examples, remastered Fesarius (from The Corbomite Maneuver) or the remastered Orion ship (from Journey to Babel).

Another thought is that TOS can also represent the TOS-era films as well.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Admiral Quinn was never over ALL of Starfleet << Link
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link