Survivor of Romulus
# 11
01-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Sollvax you do talk some complete bollox sometimes LOL
Which statement do you dispute??

1 that nasa is NOT working on warp theory and is trying to save money (no active space operations at this time)?

2 that Hawking did an Advert for a comparison website and therefore has NO credibility with many people now ?

3 or that his science is wonky?

Frankly the man is only "famous" because of his highly recognisable voice machine
his science credentials are at best Second rank
And his book is shall we say "poorly constructed" but on the plus side is IDEAL for supporting the leg of a table
Career Officer
# 12
01-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
Which statement do you dispute??

1 that nasa is NOT working on warp theory and is trying to save money (no active space operations at this time)?

2 that Hawking did an Advert for a comparison website and therefore has NO credibility with many people now ?

3 or that his science is wonky?

Frankly the man is only "famous" because of his highly recognisable voice machine
his science credentials are at best Second rank
And his book is shall we say "poorly constructed" but on the plus side is IDEAL for supporting the leg of a table
2 and 3

Personally I thought the mini black hole was utilised in the best way possible, well worth the research and investment to get that annoying git off our screens LOL

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Survivor of Romulus
# 13
01-12-2013, 05:29 AM
Quote:
2 and 3
He sold out

He is now no different from the pop mobility dancer or bear grylls
just an actor

And his science has ALWAYS been borderline insane and borderline impossible
Quote:
Personally I thought the mini black hole was utilised in the best way possible, well worth the research and investment to get that annoying git off our screens LOL
Hmm destroy the planet with an impossible event to avoid a welshman??

What needs to happen is that comparison sites need to be Taxed out of existance
In the same way ppi firms need to be closed down (and anyone working for them fined for getting me out of the bath)

But A "super massive black hole" is an unproven , highly improbable UNIVERSE DESTROYING heap of dingos kidneys
Captain
# 14
01-12-2013, 05:32 AM
Hawking is the Darwin of our time... He puts forth 'theories', but doesn't actually do anything. If he was the genius he claimss to be, he would have worked out cold fusion and how to broadcast energy thus solving the current issues associated with the use of fossil fuels. He should be smart enough, if he wanted to do it, but no... He integrates himself into pop culture (Trek, Big Bang, Adverts ) to ingratiate himself with the uneducated masses, and gain acceptance, and thus acceptance for his theories. Lets not forget, that Darwin accidentally proved (or went a way to proving) the theory of intelligent design, when he and the crew of the Beagle terraformed the Ascension Islands. Nice one, Charlie, that one still gets a chuckle out of me
Captain
# 15
01-12-2013, 06:22 AM
Quote:
He sold out

He is now no different from the pop mobility dancer or bear grylls
just an actor
I agree, he is a total sell out, but, I object to you likening him to Bear Grylls... Hawking spouts a lot mathematical gobbledegook and theories which are of no relevance to the average person in any way shape or form, where Bear imparts knowledge which could potentially be used by the average person to save their life, should they find themself in an unanticipated scenario... Hawking is a professor, Bear is a teacher
Captain
# 16
01-12-2013, 06:36 AM
Quote:
no active space operations at this time
You've missed 2 key parts of the article.

It was published on
Quote:
Nov 26, 2012 10:13 AM
And also, the first 4 words of the are article
Quote:
A few months ago...
and he's been working on it for 18 months.

Also, you may want to contact NASA and tell them they're not doing anything at the moment, as they're launching another satellite on the 28th.

They're also doing ALL THIS... so yeah
Career Officer
# 17
01-12-2013, 06:37 AM
I disagree, he is one of the most notable and distinguished scientists in all of human history. His contribution to cosmology is legendary and his ability to engage the public and make scientists seem like more normal people is second to none. All this whilst being a quadraplegic in a wheel chair.

Hawking needs no defence from me or anyone else, if I or you had achieved a fraction of the things he has done in his life then we would both have a reason to be proud.

Notable Honors: Eddington Medal (1975), Hughes Medal of the Royal Society (1976), Albert Einstein Medal (1979), Order of the British Empire (1982), Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society (1985), Member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences (1986), Wolf Prize in Physics (1988), Prince of Asturias Award (1989), Companion of Honour (1989), Julius Edgar Lilienfeld Prize of the American Physical Society (1999), Michelson Morley Award of Case Western Reserve University (2003), Copley Medal of the Royal Society (2006), 12 Honorary Degrees, Member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences. Cosmos Award from the Planetary Society (2010)

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Career Officer
# 18
01-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I agree, he is a total sell out, but, I object to you likening him to Bear Grylls... Hawking spouts a lot mathematical gobbledegook and theories which are of no relevance to the average person in any way shape or form, where Bear imparts knowledge which could potentially be used by the average person to save their life, should they find themself in an unanticipated scenario... Hawking is a professor, Bear is a teacher
Oh boy ... Bear Grylls "Survival Skills" are probably the best way to get you killed, in a real Survival situation ... you'll probably just break your legs and starve from jumping around in the wilderness (like Tribbles on Extasy), if you move through the "wilderness" like he does ... not mentioning moronic stuff like poisoning yourself with drinking pee ... at least Hawking acutally IS a real physicist ... Grylls is just some guy, who lost his job in the SAS after just 2 years, and had nothing else to do than becoming a media ***** ...
i.E. :
http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/b...d_Inaccuracies
http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/b...Drinking_urine
http://offgridsurvival.com/manvswild/

@ Topic .... NASA should focus on buidling these New Space Shuttles first, which were supposed to be ready 20 years ago (X-33) ... kind of hard taking someone seriosly, talking about Warp Travel, who can't even get to Outer Space, without Russian rocket technology from the 60's

Last edited by thutmosis85; 01-12-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Captain
# 19
01-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutmosis85 View Post
Oh boy ... Bear Grylls "Survival Skills" are probably the best way to get you killed, in a real Survival situation ... you'll probably just break your legs and starve from jumping around in the wilderness (like Tribbles on Extasy), if you move through the "wilderness" like he does ... not mentioning moronic stuff like poisoning yourself with drinking pee ... at least Hawking acutally IS a real physicist ... Grylls is just some guy, who lost his job in the SAS after just 2 years, and had nothing else to do than becoming a media ***** ...
i.E. :
http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/b...d_Inaccuracies
http://www.daughtersoftiresias.org/b...Drinking_urine
Thanks for the links, these could be good for a chuckle I don't deny that Hawking is a real physicist, but as before, he does nothing which is of benefit to Joe Sixpack on a day to day basis, and is a sell out. There may be questions about the validity of Bear's advice (any time he posts anything on facebook, at least one jackass can be guaranteed to post "Drink your piss, Bear" (or some variation on the theme)) But if I was in the middle of a life or death survival situation, between Bear and Hawking, I know who I would rather have with me...
Career Officer
# 20
01-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Thanks for the links, these could be good for a chuckle I don't deny that Hawking is a real physicist, but as before, he does nothing which is of benefit to Joe Sixpack on a day to day basis, and is a sell out. There may be questions about the validity of Bear's advice (any time he posts anything on facebook, at least one jackass can be guaranteed to post "Drink your piss, Bear" (or some variation on the theme)) But if I was in the middle of a life or death survival situation, between Bear and Hawking, I know who I would rather have with me...
Would go with Hawking, at least it's way easier to eat someone in a Wheelchair, than some former SAS guy

Concerning getting out of the wilderness alive, they are both pretty worthless .... would prefer a real Survival Instructor instead ...

PS : Well Grylls was drinking his own piss, and thats stupid in any case (pretty much disqualified him being an "Survival Expert") ... I would even say most people watch the show, just to see Grylls do gross and stupid stuff ... and not to learn anything useful ... there might be some useful knowledge in his shows ... but thats more like 5% at most ... 85% will get you killed, while 10% are just stupid stunts ...

Last edited by thutmosis85; 01-12-2013 at 02:09 PM.