Career Officer
# 21
01-12-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm curious as to how many 'Real Physicists' are out there, that "...benefit Joe Sixpack on a day to day basis"... ?

That's kind of a silly thing to say.

And Hawking didn't get famous by 'faking it', his Peers have given him all those accolades...

Anybody here get an internationally recognized medal lately?

Talk about being high & mighty...

geessss....
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Captain
# 22
01-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Erm.....isn't this thread getting a tad off topic here?
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
"Squeak?"
Captain
# 23
01-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thutmosis85 View Post
Would go with Hawking, at least it's way easier to eat someone in a Wheelchair, than some former SAS guy

Concerning getting out of the wilderness alive, they are both pretty worthless .... would prefer a real Survival Instructor instead ...
Like there's any eatable meat on those bones anyway, I think I'd rather drink my own piss One thing Bear has taught me, which scouting never really focused on, is improvisation and thinking outside the box...

[Edit to add]
And again, Hawking's theories do not actually benefit anyone in any way. I don't deny his ability, I just dispute his relevance

Last edited by marcusdkane; 01-12-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Captain
# 24
01-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
And his science has ALWAYS been borderline insane and borderline impossible
The best science always is.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 25
01-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
I'm curious as to how many 'Real Physicists' are out there, that "...benefit Joe Sixpack on a day to day basis"... ?

That's kind of a silly thing to say.
Not at all, just pointing out the complete and utter pointlessness of Hawking's work. What does he actually do that benefits Humanity in any way?

I'm not denying that Bear is a sell out, I'm just saying, that the knowledge that Bear imparts could potentially save someone's life. He might teach someone something which could save their life...

Quote:
And Hawking didn't get famous by 'faking it', his Peers have given him all those accolades...
I'm not denying Hawking's credentials. I'm simply agreeing that he is a sell out for appearing in shows to try and increase his mass appeal, and equally pointing out that his work does not actually benefit anyone, other than his own bank balance and academic reputation.

Quote:
Anybody here get an internationally recognized medal lately?
And is that supposed to mean no one has the right to hold an opinion on Hawking other than idolizing him?

Quote:
Talk about being high & mighty...

geessss....
I'm sorry if my opinions of Hawking offends you, feel free to not read them
Career Officer
# 26
01-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Not at all, just pointing out the complete and utter pointlessness of Hawking's work. What does he actually do that benefits Humanity in any way?

I'm not denying that Bear is a sell out, I'm just saying, that the knowledge that Bear imparts could potentially save someone's life. He might teach someone something which could save their life...

I'm not denying Hawking's credentials. I'm simply agreeing that he is a sell out for appearing in shows to try and increase his mass appeal, and equally pointing out that his work does not actually benefit anyone, other than his own bank balance and academic reputation.

And is that supposed to mean no one has the right to hold an opinion on Hawking other than idolizing him?

I'm sorry if my opinions of Hawking offends you, feel free to not read them
Thank you for the apology... But in truth, you could have ignored my post just as well.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Commander
# 27
01-12-2013, 10:39 AM
The funny part about theortical physics is that it commonly goes well beyond what we practically understand.

Hell, we have no idea how gravity works or wave-particle-duality, we just know that it exists and roughly what it does.
Theory always postulates similar things, it never, ever conclusively provides any results either way.
Just a concept of how "it could be".

This might not be useless, but it commonly isn't usefull either.

He's dead, Jim.

Last edited by lolimpicard; 01-12-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Captain
# 28
01-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Thank you for the apology... But in truth, you could have ignored my post just as well.
You're very welcome I objected to being called high and mighty simply for saying that Hawking, for all his undeniable intellect, does work which is essentially pointless. Given the subjects he could have put his mind to, I just think people wrongly put him on a pedestal...
Captain
# 29
01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolimpicard View Post
The funny part about theortical physics is that it commonly goes well beyond what we practically understand.

Hell, we have no idea how gravity works or wave-particle-duality, we just know that it exists and roughly what it does.
Theory always postulates similar things, it never, ever conclusively provides any results either way.
Just a concept of how "it could be".

This might not be useless, but it commonly isn't usefull either.
Precisely. No denying the interest to some for the subject (and now popularity thanks to Big Bang) but in the grand scheme of things, it's so pointless. The biggest joke in Big Bang is how Sheldon constantly demeans Howard for being an engineer, not because it's funny, but because Sheldon totally misses the point that without engineers to create the apparatus, physicists work remains nothing but theory, thoughts and opinion, it takes the engineer to make them real
Survivor of Romulus
# 30
01-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Nasa is PAYING to have a satt launched
they no longer have their own manned launches

As to Mr Hawking he is about as well qualified as a few thousand accademics
his "medal" he would not have if he was able bodied in all likelyhood

and his theories are on a par with Brian Cox (total crap)

unproven . unprovable , rubbish

oh the universe is a libra right?

Id rather trust an alpacca than either of them