Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
I'm curious to know how many people out there use ground weapons *other* than pulsewaves. Yes, we know, pulsewaves are pretty nifty, but there's a lot of other options!

For everything that isn't borg, I roll with an auto-rifle and a compression pistol. These weapons have a similar sort of intermediate range, and complement eachother very well.

Auto-rifle: Medium-long range on the primary attack, very high rate of fire, with a cone expose attack that has no appreciable activation delay.

Compression pistol: Solid intermediate range weapon, very high rate of fire, its exploit does "most" (80%?) of the damage of a sniper rifle but the activation and recharge time is much faster.

So, typically run and gun with the auto rifle until somebody gets exposed then switch to my pistol and give them charged shot. The guns have similar DPS so there's no pressure to switch back once the exploit shot is taken, unlike a sniper rifle which has fairly low DPS. You can pull your sidearm for the exploit, and keep on shooting without hurting your damage output.

Your personal weapon choices?
Commander
# 2
01-11-2013, 06:33 AM
High Density Beam Rifle.

It's basicly a Pulsewave with a lot of range, sort of a mix between a Sniper Rifle and Pulsewave. Very versatile.

I like the pistols, too: Compression, Dual, Stun.
They have their uses, altho their shorter range makes them a bad choice in some situations.

He's dead, Jim.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-11-2013, 06:34 AM
I only use Dual Pistols...and Sweeping Strikes.
Commander
# 4
01-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Sniper rifle, usually equipped alongside a pulsewave for versatility. I can swap between long and short-mid range very quickly.
Commander
# 5
01-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrgadley View Post
I only use Dual Pistols...and Sweeping Strikes.
I used to be a Dual Pistol person myself... damage, man, but they're not great for STFs so I kinda don't get around to using them anymore.

Hmm, maybe taking the thread one step further:
Which weapons do you like to put on your BOffs?

Personally I tend to have:
Melee Tacticals, Nanopulse or Fleet Bat'leth, nowadays.
Ranged Tacticals, Dual Pistols or Split Beam Rifle.
Sci with a Stun Pistol.

He's dead, Jim.
Career Officer
# 6
01-11-2013, 07:21 AM
I change it up whenever I get bored with different weapons.

Assault Minigun + Split Beam: Laying down minigun fire and following up with a split beam attack yields wonderful results. I use this mainly in colony invasion along with fire team.

Dual Pistol + Sword: Works nicely for close encounters. Used mostly with operative for stealth attacks.

Blast Assault + High Density (both with knockback): Something I started using awhile back for support, mainly in The Cure ground.

Anti-Proton Carbine + Compression Pistol/Sniper: What I use against the Borg. Expose targets with carbine, finish with pistol or sniper depending on what's needed. Used with fire team or operative and full Omega set.

Are you surprised? Shocked? I don't use a pulsewave against the Borg! Trolololol! I started using this after seeing idiots with pulsewaves run up to Borg in STFs, thinking they're pro-l33t, only to be wiped out by tactical drones. I've yet to see anyone outside of my fleet use pulsewaves without getting killed...a lot.
@HyperLimited
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
01-11-2013, 08:13 AM
I use the Jem"Hadar Beam Pistol with anti-coagulant ammo. It is actually pretty good for a mission reward weapon. It's pretty much a mini high density beam rifle.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
01-11-2013, 08:13 AM
Minigun. They rip through anything except Borg, and with the Omega passive that slows adapatation, they're almost as good on Borg.

Ever since that patch that buffed that passive, adaptation has been so slow for me that it hardly matters. With a sniper and pulsewave I went through an entire elite Infected with only two adaptations and never having both weapons locked out at once. With a minigun in regular missions (elite difficulty) I'm only hitting adaptation every 2-3 groups.
Career Officer
# 9
01-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Defo the minigun on my KDF Tac officer. I dont even unequip it vs borg (needless to say they adapt fast against so many little shots) but its just to badass not to use. But yea i love the Pulsewave on my Fed Science officer (sorry!) Its just to much fun.
Empire Veteran
# 10
01-11-2013, 08:47 AM
My fav are the splitbeams, they deal a lot of damage up to three targets at long distance. A tac with fireteam can vap three targets on a lucky crit, And the splitbeam has a low cooldown as well.
O'm also fond of the sniper, more damage against single targets then the splitbeam, but with the general spam of npcs, anything that can kill more then one target at a time is preferred.

-= ISE: 12:19 -=- CSE 12:41 -=- KASE 11:59 -=- HSe 8:06 total =-
-= KAGE 5:43 =-
[7:07] [Combat (Self)] Your Dual Disruptor Banks - Overload II deals 123086 (41096) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.