Career Officer
# 1 Species Retrait
01-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Q: (keeny75) Will / Can there be a way to change the species that we are? When I first joined STO I opted for human than later on you released playable Caitian faction in the c-store. I would love to be a Caitian but I don't want to start again from scratch to do it.

Dstahl: Now that we are working on a way to respec your traits, this is one option we are considering, but we haven?t made a final decision. We generally aren?t looking for players to be able to swap their species back and forth as easily as a respec, but we do appreciate that some players may have made a decision that they would like to change. Once we get the Trait respec in game, we will make a call on whether we will open up this option. If there are others that feel strongly about this, it would be good to see some of opinions in the forums.

First off, I know there might be a thread or two on this and if it gets merged so be it, but here's my feedback.

When I started, I had the Joined Trill species from a pre-order bonus, but if memory serves, it wasn't 100% ready/you weren't able to create one yet, so I went with a human. Not regretting that decision and I do have a Joined Trill, but the mere option is something I would like to see. There have been times I have thought about wanting to change a toon or too. Currently, I wouldn't mind changing my Lethean to a Klingon (or maybe a Gorn) since I only have one KDF toon.

I wouldn't mind if it had a larger price tag to it in order to discourage players from "swapping species" at whim because I tend to agree with it being something harder to do and much more consistent. For me, it would be a rare occurrence in using that option if it is implemented.

Last edited by intrepidfox03; 01-11-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 2
01-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Re trait yes, re species no

“confession is good for the soul”

Starfleet Veteran
# 3
01-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Seriously...dont think its gonna happen. Dstahl was just blowing off that answer. Dont take it literally...but even if you do...he did not shed any light on it...just made it darker
Career Officer
# 4
01-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Here's my take:

Introduce rep-style projects, accessible at the Drozana transporter room at a special Ferengi NPC who is a transporter accident researcher:

Corrupted Pattern Buffer Log: Personal (Species) (Gender)

Corrupted Pattern Buffer Log: Bridge Officer (Species) (Gender)

These generate an item which is redeemable for a special bridge officer or species respec that is one quality level above the inputs.

The project requires something like: Two BOs, 25k dilithium, 50k in commodities.

Combine two purple Vulcan BOs? Get an Elite Quality Vulcan BO. Combine two blues for a purple. Combine two greens for a blue. Combine two whites for a green. Ala the DOff grinder.

The reverse also works to split BOs out, again like the DOff grinder.

A Corrupted Pattern Buffer Log: Personal project (aka species/gender respec) requires two Elite BOs of a species, 100k dilithium, and 500k in commodities.

What this does is mean that you can only respec to species you can get four purple BOs of. This is how you disqualify androids/Borg. Because you can only get one at a time of each. (You could get playable Fed/KDF Romulan this way. And BO/Marauding species respec options could open up if you added KDF Ferengi/Fed Gorn etc. BOs to other commendation categories, fleshing out their rewards. And if somebody wants a Jem'Hadar or Breen, you'd need to add three more places to get purple Jem'Hadar or Breen BOs.)

This creates a BOff sink as BOs are, generally, getting way too cheap relative to other items of similar value.

Additionally, you could add special Corrupted Pattern Buffers via DOff assignments, reputation, DOff packs, and lockboxes. For example: a Bynars ground grand prize lockbox awards a Corrupted Pattern Buffer: Personal (Bynars) which changes your character into a pair of Bynars. Meanwhile, you offer Bynars bridge officers as more common rewards which can be upgraded in quality to provide a Corrupted Pattern Buffer: Personal (Bynars).

Corrupted Pattern Buffers could also provide hybrid BOs and hybrid species respecs. For example, half-Romulan, half-human BOs with inputs requiring half of one and half of the other.

The whole thing is vaguely dark from a roleplay perspective but you could have the Ferengi and supporting text address this somewhat so that the Captain doesn't know the outcome even if the PLAYER does.

As for Joined Trill/Liberated Borg... Maybe the answer there is to allow people who have those unlocks to claim a token in place of the bridge officer requirement that can be used to respec over to those species.
Captain
# 5
01-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Re trait yes, re species no
If they introduce Romulan or Cadassian ingame or any new species, I hope they'll introduce respecies. A lot of player are using the Alien template to be one of those species, and it would be unfair to tell them they have to redo the game and lost everything they have or stay alien.
I currently have 2 half romulian, and I wish I could respecies into Romulian if they become available.
Republic Veteran
# 6
01-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
If they introduce Romulan or Cadassian ingame or any new species, I hope they'll introduce respecies. A lot of player are using the Alien template to be one of those species, and it would be unfair to tell them they have to redo the game and lost everything they have or stay alien.
I currently have 2 half romulian, and I wish I could respecies into Romulian if they become available.
It is perfectly fair for them to make you re roll a character I have an alien Romulan, and it would be fair for me to have to re roll a new Romulan....I don't know any mmo that lets you re species.

“confession is good for the soul”

Ensign
# 7
01-11-2013, 05:14 PM
As a new player to sto, and new to mmo's, I didn't have a clue which species to pick. I would love the chance to re-species now I'm more experienced. Maybe they could limit it to only once? That way people won't change at whim.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
01-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
Moot point, if they introduce Romulans or Cardassians, it will more than likely be as new factions in a paid expansion, then you'll have no choice but to re-roll.

No to re-species.
=\/= ================================ =\/=
Centurion maximus92
12th Legion, Romulan Republic
12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
Career Officer
# 9
01-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Re-species is a must if they introduce any more IP species that have been attempted in the alien generator. I have a Denobulan, and if they made it so I could upgrade to a 'real' one with something like the ability to placate by inflating his face, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. That's two transactions, if you include the re-species.

It just wouldn't be fair to have to throw away all your character's progress in order to become more authentic.
Lieutenant
# 10
01-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
I don't know any mmo that lets you re species.
The MMO with the highest reported population numbers does, so its not all that unheard of