Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,400
# 21
01-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
The KDF should never been a faction in the sense of Red vs Blue and neither be some kind of bizarro Federation since the only thing they achieved was pleasing nobody.

People that wanted to play a Gorn ended up playing as Klingon Lizard, people wanting to play anything but a Klingon got stuck with playing as one and people wanting to play a Klingon end up on some strange version of the Klingon Empire.

The playerbase is not there because this is Star Trek Online, playing as a KDF character is not a different experience as a Federation officer but rather as a Klingon no matter what along with like minded Klingons no matter what with a utter pointless and nonsensical war that was only created to provide two excuses ... KDF races choices and PvP.
This, seriously this.


The reason I shy away from making more Klingon characters is because the whole experience isn't Klingon enough.

It has nothing to do with a lack of mission content because at L50 it's all the same anyway across factions.


People constantly whine, and it is whining, about the lack of missions from 1-20.

This is really just a joke, 1-20 takes a few hours fed side unless you are literally stopping to pick daisies and waste time on purpose. 1-20 is the least memorable content in any 1-50 MMO.



I want my Klingons to be Klingons. I don't want them to be Gorn, Orions or whatever other bizarro freak alien you made.

I want those races in game too, but I hate that they were lumped into the KDF and diluted what the KDF should have been.


We ended up with a Klingon empire that wasn't very Klingon and acts like simple thugs and typical "bad guys" - which is a shame because Klingons have come a long way, and accrued greater depth, from their original TV show villain days on TOS.

Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 142
# 22
01-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
We won't get a battleship before the level cap increase. But we may get the heavy escort and a breen cruiser.
You mean like the one we just got from the Holiday event?

I got a feeling we'll get the Jem'Hadar Battle Cruiser, but the Battle Ship (AKA Dreadnought) is definitely out of the question.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,660
# 23
01-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
Then why can't we have a D'deridex in a lockbox? Can someone from Cryptic answer the question, please?
Because they're pretty much categorically ruling out more than three factions?
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,292
# 24
01-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
This, seriously this.


The reason I shy away from making more Klingon characters is because the whole experience isn't Klingon enough.

It has nothing to do with a lack of mission content because at L50 it's all the same anyway across factions.


People constantly whine, and it is whining, about the lack of missions from 1-20.

This is really just a joke, 1-20 takes a few hours fed side unless you are literally stopping to pick daisies and waste time on purpose. 1-20 is the least memorable content in any 1-50 MMO.



I want my Klingons to be Klingons. I don't want them to be Gorn, Orions or whatever other bizarro freak alien you made.

I want those races in game too, but I hate that they were lumped into the KDF and diluted what the KDF should have been.


We ended up with a Klingon empire that wasn't very Klingon and acts like simple thugs and typical "bad guys" - which is a shame because Klingons have come a long way, and accrued greater depth, from their original TV show villain days on TOS.
I recently redid the "night of the comet on one of my KDF toons to get the cane. The funny part is that after the fighting you have to follow Scotty around.

So he makes some comments:

Those are some funny uniforms you are wearing:

My response if I could "We are klingons - but not wearing the cheap TOS era costumes"

What ship are you from:

"The I.K.S. I kill Starfleet"

Oh that's nice. Could you get me a flux coupler.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 235
# 25
01-12-2013, 04:14 PM
They updated 2 of the jem'hadar ships on tribble with the patch (they have done this for every ship that has become a player ship in the past)


Jem'hadar heavy escort

http://i.imgur.com/M6RkG.jpg

new on the left, old on the right.

http://i.imgur.com/MB7qP.jpg

(this is the battleship) thanks to Kizana for the battleship pics
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 255
# 26
01-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenw0lf View Post
Well, because this would be pretty much mean that we will never get a Romulan faction. Cryptic already once stated that they regret handing out the Galor cruiser to the players due to the fact that this killed a possible Cardassian faction. I think they will be more careful from now on with what they'll be putting in lockboxes, so I doubt you guys will ever get Romulan ships for your feds.
I say they give us whatever. Whenever they get around to implementing factions, they can simply delete the faction ships we have and replace them with a new ship with the same exact stats and layout. Everything will be exactly the same except we would no longer have a galor for example, we would have johndoe ship redesign.

Problem. The. ****. Solved.

They got no beef whatsoever taking things away after they go live and we pay for them. So I don't see a problem here. Now, I don't want to lose my JHAS if one day a dominion faction comes into play anymore than the next person, but I rather lose my JHAS for a johndoe ship but still with all the perks a JHAS has that I rightfully paid for, than for someone to go, "oh, we gave them a JHAS. I guess that means we can never have a Dominion faction. Oh weeeell guess we're SoL because CBS said so!" and never have the option to start up my new Jem'hadar soldier so I can run around DS9 and scream Victory is life! to everyone like I'm the biggest nerd EVER.

Of course, if I got some generic piece of crap escort redesign in place of my JHAS, I would not be happy whatsoever but I might just live with it and play my new Jem'Hadar solider for a new JHAS.

This idea sure as hell beats never getting a romulan warbird for example, because they MIGHT get around to implementing a romulan faction someday.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 886
# 27
01-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romuzarii View Post
I say they give us whatever. Whenever they get around to implementing factions, they can simply delete the faction ships we have and replace them with a new ship with the same exact stats and layout. Everything will be exactly the same except we would no longer have a galor for example, we would have johndoe ship redesign.

Problem. The. ****. Solved.

They got no beef whatsoever taking things away after they go live and we pay for them. So I don't see a problem here. Now, I don't want to lose my JHAS if one day a dominion faction comes into play anymore than the next person, but I rather lose my JHAS for a johndoe ship but still with all the perks a JHAS has that I rightfully paid for, than for someone to go, "oh, we gave them a JHAS. I guess that means we can never have a Dominion faction. Oh weeeell guess we're SoL because CBS said so!" and never have the option to start up my new Jem'hadar soldier so I can run around DS9 and scream Victory is life! to everyone like I'm the biggest nerd EVER.

Of course, if I got some generic piece of crap escort redesign in place of my JHAS, I would not be happy whatsoever but I might just live with it and play my new Jem'Hadar solider for a new JHAS.

This idea sure as hell beats never getting a romulan warbird for example, because they MIGHT get around to implementing a romulan faction someday.
While I disagree with the underlining idea (I hate the idea of deleteing ships in favor of generic ones) I can't argue with the underlining priciples behind it.

Truth be told, I am probably much like you. Though I want all the Lockbox ships for all my alts (aproximately 19) the only one I would probably be flying a Galor, for instance, would the be the Cardassian. Because truthfully that is what I want. A Cardie in a Galor. Now while I am currently stuck with a Federation Alien in a Galor, chances are if a Cardassian Union faction were enacted, I would ditch my Alien Cardassian for a Real CU one, Galor and all.

The same would be true of a Romulan with a lock box warbird.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,750
# 28
01-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post

The result, Most players don't care about KDF. Because you are already too invested in whatever your previous character is.
I hate to be a downer, but the reason most people don't care about the KDF isn't that its a short faction, its because they simply don't care about the KDF. Heck, Cryptic is all but hocking it with all the little extras it gets "just because" and people outside the hardcore KDF fans are STILL mostly using it for farming dil.

Short factions where Cryptic is upfront about the faction's future is the way to go. Folks could get their Romulan/Cardassian/etc faction but knowing upfront what to expect. That's what causes all the KDF bitterness, Cryptic was never upfront or succinct about what they should expect.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,397
# 29
01-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyranger1414 View Post
I hate to be a downer, but the reason most people don't care about the KDF isn't that its a short faction, its because they simply don't care about the KDF. Heck, Cryptic is all but hocking it with all the little extras it gets "just because" and people outside the hardcore KDF fans are STILL mostly using it for farming dil.

Short factions where Cryptic is upfront about the faction's future is the way to go. Folks could get their Romulan/Cardassian/etc faction but knowing upfront what to expect. That's what causes all the KDF bitterness, Cryptic was never upfront or succinct about what they should expect.
I agree with this. The KDF might be slightly more popular if it started with level 1, but the overall numbers won't change that much, I suppose.

However, how much work can it be to just add a few ships of lower tiers and a tutorial to be able to play all those species from level 1 on, and have them level with dailies and Foundry missions? That should be possible for all mini-factions... UGC will fill in the holes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,101
# 30
01-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Let's just come out and say it, STO has factions in the first place only because World of ******** has factions. If it weren't copying WoW, the Federation and Klingons would still be allies and we'd get to fly both sides with the same toons. And it would be better.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:35 PM.