Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,185
# 21
01-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfleetlufia View Post

as for favorite ships I don't have any you see unlike you I'm not stuck in the past I use the ship that gets the job done and fits the setting be it a Cryptic Design of my 29th cent wells yes the wells is indeed a canon ship from Voyager however unlike your prehistoric scrap yard museums it has not been invented yet
ummmm, your ship should out class everyone since it's from the future, but yet does not...you accept that, but yet can't accept classic ships showing up. ummmm wow

The Following signature is not endorsed by the Dukat administration, and Down with Bajor Party


Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 460
# 22
01-13-2013, 04:54 PM
I have no problem with people wanting to fly thier favourites from the series, although most cruisers and a few other ships look alot alike so I don't understand the excitement over the Ambassador Class. Still if you want it, more power to you.

Me I like the Orion Ships, which while influenced by the Orion Ships on Enterprise, are original designs.

I was disappointed that they don't have the,lience to JJ Abrams Star Trek as it means no Jellyfish or Narada for STO.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,731
# 23
01-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfleetlufia View Post
You say you love Star Trek yet people are refusing to allow it to grow they are stuck in their past Nastolgia being the ruining factor of the time line some of the ships they are requesting is over 200 years old they are way past their service time and don't give me that BS about refitting the Enterprise got decommissioned for being 20 years old they didn't refit her because with the brand new Excelsior there was little point
OK,

I agree, we must let it grow.

That means that according to recent events, Next Gen never happened.

Thanks to JJ we are right back at TOS just with more modern ships.

Too bad they don't get the rights for that, I'd love to fly the New Enterprise.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.

Last edited by thlaylierah; 01-13-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 34
# 24
01-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinumbar View Post
There may be a 'free' version, and a z-store version - like they did with last year's Oddyssey.

That's pretty much what I am expecting, a free barebone version and a +1 zen version
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 68
# 25
01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspatteredjack View Post
Sacrilegious!

I do wish they would make set ships Tier III or V retrofits. Say what you will but if teeny tiny Defiant can pack a punch why not a retrofitted classic?!
The Defiant was and is the Federation's only purpouse-built offensive Warship.

Star Trek is just about the only sci-fi franchise to have gotten it right: the most powerful ships of war would be smaller, not larger (at Starfleet's level of technology) simply because in space combat, inertia is your number one enemy.

You can purpouse-build a ship the size of a Dreadnought to wage nothing but war, but suddenly you're a cumbersome platform and relying (in the shows/movies) on many underpowered 360-degree weapon platforms instead of very destructive fore weapons that you can reliably bring to bear with superior mobility.

It seems like it's very 'cool' among the uninformed on these forums to rip on the Defiant, as if it was unrealistic somehow that it would be one of the Federation's most powerful vessels. In fact, it's anything but unrealistic.

It's all down to warp core miniaturization, making a warp core small enough to supply power to this fearsome weaponry, something the Federation have mastered.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 583
# 26
01-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfleetlufia View Post
star trek was never about the ships, the explosions or the flashy cgi it was about exploring the human condition as stated by Gene Roddenberry himself I don't need to have a favorite ship to be a fan of star trek
Everyone enjoys Star Trek in their own way, you have no right to tell someone how they should experience or enjoy Star Trek. If for someone, it is about the ships, then that is their freedom to enjoy it in that way. I'd rather have more options, than less, let the people play the game how they choose.
"Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat's on fire." - The Doctor

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,465
# 27
01-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurythefirst View Post
The Defiant was and is the Federation's only purpouse-built offensive Warship.

Star Trek is just about the only sci-fi franchise to have gotten it right: the most powerful ships of war would be smaller, not larger (at Starfleet's level of technology) simply because in space combat, inertia is your number one enemy.

You can purpouse-build a ship the size of a Dreadnought to wage nothing but war, but suddenly you're a cumbersome platform and relying (in the shows/movies) on many underpowered 360-degree weapon platforms instead of very destructive fore weapons that you can reliably bring to bear with superior mobility.

It seems like it's very 'cool' among the uninformed on these forums to rip on the Defiant, as if it was unrealistic somehow that it would be one of the Federation's most powerful vessels. In fact, it's anything but unrealistic.

It's all down to warp core miniaturization, making a warp core small enough to supply power to this fearsome weaponry, something the Federation have mastered.
You're ignoring the fact that 40 years have passed since the Dominion Wars. Technologies that the Defiant pioneered, and were not deployed on other Federation ships of that era, can very realistically become commonplace on the rest of the fleet in the intervening time.

Secondly, the Defiant was far from the only warship the federation designed. Look at the various craft originally slated to become part of the anti-Borg task force. Toss those same 40 years filled with constant unrest and intermittent wars, and there is absolutely no reason to believe that a military doctrine and way of thinking defined by the holocaust of the Dominion Wars isn't at the top of many a flag officer's mind.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 272
# 28
01-13-2013, 08:23 PM
admiral layton was partically right for upgrading the excelior class uss lakota in a time of war to have better armed ships. also admiral layton was totally wrong to has tried to over take the ferderation goverment with the military starfleet.

as a rewward captain sisko should have been given the uss lakota as his personal ship for saving earth and stopping from admiral layton's illegeal coup and the defenant would have been still a signed to deep space nine.

as far as older classes starships being in game could be used mostly by cikvian fleets and maitained my federation most loyal cilvians but how were not in starfleet. with such a long war and starfleet to busy fighting and it had too little resorces to fight on the front lines and protect the cilvian fraters and cargo ships. so starfleet allowed the most loyal cilvians to use olders ships and refit the with up to tier 3 current with the condishion of supervision by starfleet and starfleet could use 1 out of every even if cilvians built new older ship classed too. the cilvians would have acccess to all tos ships, early earth starfleet nx and all of nx sister classes and tmp constelation class. starfleet also takes 8 out 10 nx class, conni constitution class, oberth class as starfleets liuetantent officer ships.
i like to see a verson taffie's in the c-store and tier 3 ships and also see more federation freighters in starttrek online
starfleet would own and operate excelior class and newer class of starships even the 25 century starfkeet ships.
Career Officer
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 76
# 29
01-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
OK,

I agree, we must let it grow.

That means that according to recent events, Next Gen never happened.

Thanks to JJ we are right back at TOS just with more modern ships.

Too bad they don't get the rights for that, I'd love to fly the New Enterprise.
As far as I'm concerned JJ Trek never happen its a bad joke an almost parody they might as well have let bay be the director they got about as much respect for their respect ip's established lore as yes today's garbage but la least we'd get more unwanted explosion and maybe not a I pod bridge

some people say jj trek is good but a film that prides it self on being nothing but action with a rather crude plot line is not star trek at least not how Roddenberry saw it but ever since the creator of Star Trek died they have been tearing down his legacy conforming it to the brainless mainstream that can't even open their fly without a instruction manual

Tos, Tng, Ds9, Voy was good .... Enterprise was omg what was they thinking its rubbish and then we got the final nail in the coffin ... the so called Reboot which was nothing but a glorified cash cow

we didn't need more prequel junk what we needed was a director that actually knew what he was doing
First Contact was great, Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis maybe not so much the problem is not the time line setting its how you plan the plot frankly the baku was not that interesting not to mention in TNG there was a plot about the exact same thing and guess what picard was fine with moving those people
Vice Admiral Lufia Rushu
Commander, R.R.W. Ravenclaw
"I would use my Legacy of Romulus title but everyone and their father use that"

Last edited by starfleetlufia; 01-13-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 174
# 30
01-14-2013, 07:56 PM
The t.v series may not have been about combat, but this game is. If you like the old designs, fine, but this game is set in Trek's future. Can you imagine how well Enterprise A would fare against the Undine? Logic dictates more futuristic designs, not less.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 AM.