Rihannsu
# 1 Corner Gas Referrence?
01-12-2013, 01:42 PM
So I was toolin around the academy and noticed the NPC at the information desk was named Wanda Yarbo and I have to know, is this a referrence to the tv show Corner Gas? In the show one of the main characters has the first name Wanda and another has the last name Yarbo. If so good on you Cryptic for recognizing an awesome show probably not seen outside of Canada.
Ensign
# 2
02-11-2013, 08:36 PM
I have no clue, but I would agree. Great show and great reference. My dad went to school in Yarbo - a small town outside of Esterhazy and SE of Yorkton
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2013, 08:44 PM
While I respect your opinion regarding that show, I have to disagree with it. I couldn't sit through a single episode without groaning every five minutes. I'm a Canadian and I work in television, so I'm usually a fan of the stuff we produce, but that was... not our best effort, in my opinion.

That said, perhaps one of the devs disagrees with me. Who knows? Perhaps it is a veiled reference to Corner Gas.
Commander
# 4
02-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon653 View Post
So I was toolin around the academy and noticed the NPC at the information desk was named Wanda Yarbo and I have to know, is this a referrence to the tv show Corner Gas? In the show one of the main characters has the first name Wanda and another has the last name Yarbo. If so good on you Cryptic for recognizing an awesome show probably not seen outside of Canada.
Purely accidental even though the only 3 Canadians playing STO noticed.

"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Believe me, I didn't notice. I never watched Corner Gas enough to remember anyone's name.
Community Moderator
# 6
02-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Wow, I don't know whether to just count days, and congratulate you on the near-miss necro, or count hours, and say "sorry, 7 hours too late, necro!"
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Commander
# 7
02-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Corner Gas is okay.

For Canadian television I prefer Lost Girl and Republic of Doyle, and Heartland.

If one counts joint production Sci Fi made in Canada, then I'd add Stargate Altantis.

I'd love to see these coy references for these shows. I can see a unaligned vessel called Doccubus.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
02-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Wow, I don't know whether to just count days, and congratulate you on the near-miss necro, or count hours, and say "sorry, 7 hours too late, necro!"
Lol

I have no idea what that tv show "Corner Gas" is, never seen it. But I do know who Wanda Yarbo is at Starfleet Academy, and I like pics.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
02-11-2013, 11:12 PM
I remember "Corner Gas". Here in Texas, it used to come on after "Becker" at, like, midnight.
Commander
# 10
02-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrona View Post
Lol

I have no idea what that tv show "Corner Gas" is, never seen it.
Corner Gas is like a situational comedy... just not as funny.

P.S.

It's ok... irl, I know a family member of one of the cast.

P.S.S.

Heartland?

The Friendly Giant and Mr.Dressup had more exciting and more relevant story-lines in comparison!
"Dammit J'mpok! I'm a Warrior, not a Worrier!"

- KDF Ambassador Syon vocalizing her objection to the discussions of possible peace talks with the UFP due to recent Borg and Undine activities.
Hegh'bat, Stardate 66588.8

Last edited by user839020189287; 02-11-2013 at 11:26 PM.