Lt. Commander
Things cost to much dilithium. Is this game still worth playing? I was not having a problem with this until a moment ago. I went to Starfleet Academy. I tried to reassign Uncommon duty officers. They wanted 2500 dilithium.

Since when does it cost dilithium to upgrade officers?

All of my friends constantly complaining the dilithium rewards are way to small. And everything costs to much. I am beginning to understand why all my friends have either stopped playing or are almost never online anymore.

Stuff that used to be basic and easy has suddenly become hard.

I understand the Play for Free model. I really do. But this goes beyond the norm.

Cryptic and Perfect world--Do you have to charge for everything?
Ensign
# 2
01-13-2013, 05:06 AM
Dil is the shiz, yo!

Best option is to farm energy credits and buy what you need from other players.
I don't like dilithium mining aswell.
Captain
# 3
01-13-2013, 05:30 AM
All players can easily grind more dilithium per day than they could ever refine. The problem is the refining cap. Doubling it would go a long way towards making the grind hurt less.
Captain
# 4
01-13-2013, 05:51 AM
Do you actually enjoy *playing* the game? If so, keep playing. If not, what does it matter what the currency rewards are?
Lieutenant
# 5
01-13-2013, 05:59 AM
I'm sure you have the capacity to comprehend, that even something you enjoy very much, can be sucked dry of enjoyment because of lack of progress. The game can be fun, but no matter how fun something is, in an MMO it's a waste of time if it doesn't feel like progress.
Ensign
# 6
01-13-2013, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurythefirst View Post
I'm sure you have the capacity to comprehend, that even something you enjoy very much, can be sucked dry of enjoyment because of lack of progress. The game can be fun, but no matter how fun something is, in an MMO it's a waste of time if it doesn't feel like progress.
Yes, indeed.

One of the most appealing features about STO is that it's free to play. You are not losing on sub. money, and all your stuff will be there (until the servers go down). MMOs often have this trend of userbase coming and going as people take breaks.

Perhaps, if you are frustrated, a quick break is in order. I was utterly bored with the game some months ago, and now everything is OOOH SHINY again. I am sure this cycle will repeat.
Captain
# 7
01-13-2013, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
All players can easily grind more dilithium per day than they could ever refine. The problem is the refining cap. Doubling it would go a long way towards making the grind hurt less.
I disagree.

By keeping the refinement cap as it is, then Cryptic can set the dilithium costs on progression assignments such that in order to complete a season's content, a person relying on refinement cap alone (no Zen purchases to use on the Dilithium Exchange) will take essentially the entire season. The availability of marks further controls the flow, as they are generally introduced through dailies in any particular quantity, and those not fixed to dailies are usually awarded one at a time.

We've been wanting them to release content at our pace of consumption, which they have repeatedly indicated is impossible. And it really is. No matter how much content they release, and no matter how often they release it. it will never be often enough to satisfy the community. So what they are doing is setting the pace of progression through the content the can release to keep us from blasting through it.

You know? I don't feel like it is that much of a grind since I adopted a casual approach to it. I am not in any sort of race to complete the Starbase, Embassy, Omega or New Romulus content. I log in, do whatever I feel like doing, and however long it ultimately takes is just how long it takes. I do have to say that earning dilithium is now way easier than it used to be. With my extremely casual playstyle, before I was not earning anywhere near the refinement cap. Now even with that casual pace, I come pretty close.

The trick is not doing the same thing over and over. Mix it up. Do multiple types of content. If you don't DOff, try it. Gather resources and sell them on the exchange, earn enough EC to buy the DOffs you need to successfully complete ALL assignments within a given sector block, prioritizing the colonization assignments, track fleet movements, confiscate contraband, etc. Don't sell your contraband on the exchange just to get EC... Take it to one of the security officers in the game that give you an DOff assignment to turn it in for 2000 Dilithium Ore. If it is dilithium you are after, run Omega or New Romulus rep missions to collect 50 marks and turn them in for 500 dilithium. Do Foundry for 960 Dilithium every 30 minutes. Most yellow DOff assignment grant 50 Dil. If your arsenal of DOffs are blues and purples, you should hit critical success on a lot of them. That will net you some solid Dilithium results.

But the Dilithium cap needs to stay. They have to be able to regulate how long their content lasts. If we quit trying to blast through it as fast as possible, then maybe it won't feel like such a chore.
I'm glad you like this game.

As for me... I like games that I can play, not games that try to play me.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
I disagree.

By keeping the refinement cap as it is, then Cryptic can set the dilithium costs on progression assignments such that in order to complete a season's content, a person relying on refinement cap alone (no Zen purchases to use on the Dilithium Exchange) will take essentially the entire season. The availability of marks further controls the flow, as they are generally introduced through dailies in any particular quantity, and those not fixed to dailies are usually awarded one at a time.

We've been wanting them to release content at our pace of consumption, which they have repeatedly indicated is impossible. And it really is. No matter how much content they release, and no matter how often they release it. it will never be often enough to satisfy the community. So what they are doing is setting the pace of progression through the content the can release to keep us from blasting through it.

You know? I don't feel like it is that much of a grind since I adopted a casual approach to it. I am not in any sort of race to complete the Starbase, Embassy, Omega or New Romulus content. I log in, do whatever I feel like doing, and however long it ultimately takes is just how long it takes. I do have to say that earning dilithium is now way easier than it used to be. With my extremely casual playstyle, before I was not earning anywhere near the refinement cap. Now even with that casual pace, I come pretty close.

The trick is not doing the same thing over and over. Mix it up. Do multiple types of content. If you don't DOff, try it. Gather resources and sell them on the exchange, earn enough EC to buy the DOffs you need to successfully complete ALL assignments within a given sector block, prioritizing the colonization assignments, track fleet movements, confiscate contraband, etc. Don't sell your contraband on the exchange just to get EC... Take it to one of the security officers in the game that give you an DOff assignment to turn it in for 2000 Dilithium Ore. If it is dilithium you are after, run Omega or New Romulus rep missions to collect 50 marks and turn them in for 500 dilithium. Do Foundry for 960 Dilithium every 30 minutes. Most yellow DOff assignment grant 50 Dil. If your arsenal of DOffs are blues and purples, you should hit critical success on a lot of them. That will net you some solid Dilithium results.

But the Dilithium cap needs to stay. They have to be able to regulate how long their content lasts. If we quit trying to blast through it as fast as possible, then maybe it won't feel like such a chore.
Most of what you say makes sense. But my main point is. Why does it have to cost Dilithium for everything we do in the game. DOFF upgrades. I mean really. That's just plain petty!!
Captain
# 9
01-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurythefirst View Post
I have ample "capacity to comprehend" that it's a line of thought that's just plain ridiculous. Yes, MMOs use progress bars and level ticks and such as a psychological trick to keep people playing... but really, if you like the core of the game then what do the rewards actually matter? I play the game because I like the fundamentals of the space combat model. The equipment meta-game on top of that is just icing.
Captain
# 10
01-13-2013, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztoppers View Post
Most of what you say makes sense. But my main point is. Why does it have to cost Dilithium for everything we do in the game. DOFF upgrades. I mean really. That's just plain petty!!
You don't NEED Dilithium to opgrade your DOffs. Sell particle traces and stacks of Data Samples like I said. Any gear you loot and do not have a use for, take a minute to sell it too. Price it to move. I don't mean price it so low that it is next to worthless, but come down below what the market currently has it going for. Remember, there are thousands of others playing this game. One person's trash is another person's treasure.

It just takes some patience. Particle Traces are quick EC. I've never put a set up that didn't sell withing a few minutes....

Doing the Dilithium-based DOff upgrade is for convenience. You can pretty much find whatever DOff you need rather than hoping someone drops one on the exchange. Convenience costs. They want you to buy Zen and convert it to Dilithium. Some do, even with the Zen-Dilithium exchange rates where they are... Why? Because doing so allows them to go beyond the daily refinement cap.

But like I said, you can find the DOffs you need on the exchange. So if you want to hold onto your Dil, earn EC off sales and you'll get it.
I'm glad you like this game.

As for me... I like games that I can play, not games that try to play me.