Lieutenant
# 101
01-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
40 years have passed Klaitu. You really want to tell me that a person of faith, after a lifetime of service as a soldier for her people, can't continue that service as a shepard and guide to her people in the role of a priest?

Kira was there for the fall of Cardassia and Sisko's ascension. Two events that have the capacity to effect a person in any number of profound ways. One of which may very well have planted the seed that led her to the road to becoming Kai.
I'm not saying that it's impossible for her to become Kai.. not anymore impossible than for Jake Sisko to become Kai.

It's just ridiculous.
Captain
# 102
01-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaitu View Post
She's never referred to as the Emissary's right hand at any point during the series.. at least, not that I can recall.
More than once Sisko went to bat for Kira against any number of different organizations and individuals, usually to his own detriment. Starfleet, the Bajoran Provisional Government, Kai Winn just to name a few. And more than once Kira did the same for Sisko. Not to mention the level of trust and respect that developed between the two during the Dominion Wars.

If that doesn't earn her the label of "right hand", I don't know what would.

Quote:
I mean, since it's non-canon, we can just make up any story we want about Kira.. maybe she's Kai because she has the remnants of that prophet inside her from when she fought Jake Sisko. Maybe she was immaculately concieved by the prophets a la Anakin Skywalker..
I guess you missed the parts where we're shown Kira's father and mother.

Quote:
Everyone's got their own opinion, but I personally think it's the wildest stretch of credibility for Kira to do a complete 180 and become a politician after having been no-nonsense freedim fighter for her entire life.. not to mention the fact that she'd have to advance to Vedek, which in itself is a high ranking position.
Sure. I mean it's not at all possible that a hero of both the Dominion War and the Occupation, who was one of the Emissary's closest friends, allies and advisors (not to mention his right hand) would be able to rise through the ranks just a smidge faster than some other people.
Captain
# 103
01-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Quote:
I'm not saying that it's impossible for her to become Kai.. not anymore impossible than for Jake Sisko to become Kai.

It's just ridiculous.
So your argument now is basically "Kira can't be Kai because I don't want her to be Kai"?

It's frankly a lot more plausible than Data fully digitally re-incarnating withing B4, yet you're apparently fine with that.
Lieutenant
# 104
01-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Quote:
I guess you missed the parts where we're shown Kira's father and mother.
This didn't seem to stop Sisko from being concieved by the prophets.

Quote:
Sure. I mean it's not at all possible that a hero of both the Dominion War and the Occupation, who was one of the Emissary's closest friends, allies and advisors (not to mention his right hand) would be able to rise through the ranks just a smidge faster than some other people.
Oh, so that's why General Eisenhower rose to the rank of Pope..
Starfleet Veteran
# 105
01-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Quote:
^^^ This. It's entirely plausible that Kira could become a Kai after her stint on DS9. The Bajorans are a spiritual people and we know Kira was one of the faithful. I could see here returning to a simple, more spiritual life as she reaches old age.
Lieutenant
# 106
01-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Quote:
So your argument now is basically "Kira can't be Kai because I don't want her to be Kai"?

It's frankly a lot more plausible than Data fully digitally re-incarnating withing B4, yet you're apparently fine with that.
I'm not saying that Kira can't be Kai.. she clearly is according to the story. It's just a poorly written story where whoever tacked on didn't understand the original.

And also to be clear, Data reincarnating is also stupid, but for entirely different reasons. At least Data's return has a seed of possibility planted in an actual Star Trek production.

Data's reincarnation is stupid because it guts the plot of Nemesis, not to mention the whole line about "he should have the potential to become more than he is". Personally, I don't translate this as "he should have the potential to become me again after I die".

That's just me.. there are plenty of people who hate Nemesis just because Data dies. I'm not one of those people.
Captain
# 107
01-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Oh, so that's why General Eisenhower rose to the rank of Pope..
Eisenhower was a Presbyterian.
Captain
# 108
01-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
I'm not saying that Kira can't be Kai.. she clearly is according to the story. It's just a poorly written story where whoever tacked on didn't understand the original.
The writers are not the ones misunderstanding the Kira character.
Lieutenant
# 109
01-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Eisenhower was a Presbyterian.
If he became leader of the Presbyterian church, that might be relevant.
Lieutenant
# 110
01-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Quote:
The writers are not the ones misunderstanding the Kira character.
Show me any canon information showing Kira to be interested in politics. I'll accept even the slightest hint or vague indication.

So far as I know, Kira only ever hated politics and detested bureaucracies.