Captain
# 121
01-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
This thread was originally about how the characters from the Tv shows are tied to this game in unorthodox, strange, and poor ways. Now it's about fictional politics on a fictional world from a fictional universe.

I can't turn my back on you guys for a week can I?
To be fair, it's mostly now about how a a character from the show is tied in such a way that someone finds strange and poor, while others see the tie in as a completely plausible evolution of said character.. It just happens to include fictional politics and religion at the same time.

Last edited by stirling191; 01-15-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Captain
# 122
01-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Fictional politics and fictional religion. There's a "song" I'd link for this, but then I'd have to give myself a warning.
Heh, you can always PM me if you still want to share.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."
Republic Veteran
# 123
01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Wait this was not about Spaceballs??? But, I brought my Flamethrower for nothing; Kids really love it
Commander
# 124
01-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Make this in the Foundry. I will tip you even if it's bad.
Haha!!! Syberghost, you're on.
Career Officer
# 125
01-15-2013, 01:53 PM
A couple of things:

Re: Kira/Kai Kira. The Pope analogy was used. The recognized first Pope was not a religious scholar but was a buddy of the religion's founder. There have been multiple Popes who were soldiers or with little background in religious scholarship until later in life. The current Pope was a member of a certain German paramilitary organization for kids if memory serves.

Furthermore, religions frequently are started by or led by people outside the religious hierachy. This includes: Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, Scientology. Three out of the five were founded by people who had some military service record. And so was Star Trek, which parallels Scientology enough that you could write an entertaining book comparing and contrasting the movements. And with Christianity, the first Pope as recognized by Rome is a guy who sliced a soldier's ear off and the first biblical scholar of note was Paul, a Roman soldier.

I'm just talking history here, not challenging or affirming anyone's beliefs.

As for the STO fiction:

The only comic STO recognizes is Countdown, the J.J. Abrams film prequel; it gets referenced repeatedly in the game.

There are, however, several text features which Kestrel (the lead game writer) did as STAR TREK ONLINE fiction entries for STAR TREK MAGAZINE. These detail Data's last mission, Data's current status as a college professor, the end of the Undine war, and several other key details. If I remember correctly, Stahl suggested he'd like to reference those updated events in the game itself eventually.

There is also a tie in novel called "The Needs of the Many" but almost nobody seems to reference its elaborations on the Path to 2409. It wasn't a bad book but it is written in a jarring World WarZ style and my understanding was that Pocket basically approached the author, introduced him to Kestrel, handed him STO's notes, and had him write 300 pages in 45 days or so.
Commander
# 126
01-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
What about Harry Kim at Cirini Prime?
And do we know what Ezri Dax is up to at the moment? I'd quite like to have her cameo in an STO story I'm writing, but it would be helpful to know where she is.
Community Moderator
# 127
01-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Blame JJ for that. Cryptic got the idea from the Countdown comics that JJ put out that explained the prologue of the 2009 movie.
Nope. Cryptic's done backstory in comics before, for City of Heroes. I was actually surprised not to have seen any for Champions Online. So has that other MMO from that company named after particularly inclement weather.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Starfleet Veteran
# 128
01-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Nope. Cryptic's done backstory in comics before, for City of Heroes. I was actually surprised not to have seen any for Champions Online. So has that other MMO from that company named after particularly inclement weather.
Not sure what that has to do with my response.

Guy commented that the Data resurrection idea was Cryptics, but it was from JJ's comic. Which Cryptic integrated the idea into the STO storyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
And do we know what Ezri Dax is up to at the moment? I'd quite like to have her cameo in an STO story I'm writing, but it would be helpful to know where she is.
Ezri? Haven't seen her in game, but I believe she was mentioned in the Path to 2409.

Last edited by azurianstar; 01-15-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Captain
# 129
01-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjeff View Post
Eisenhower didn't serve under Jesus, nor was he possessed by God to duke it out with Satan, so I don't see how his failure to become Pope means anything.
Besides, Teddy Roosevelt did that without God's help just because he was bored one Saturday.
# 130
01-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Not sure what that has to do with my response.

Guy commented that the Data resurrection idea was Cryptics, but it was from JJ's comic. Which Cryptic integrated the idea into the STO storyline.
It's hard to say. They consulted on the comic. The uniform designs there were done by Cryptic's concept artists, IIRC.