Lieutenant
# 21
01-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer1 View Post
Personally, I would like to see STO create their own interesting characters that are NOT based off of previous Star Trek characters. Actually develop a real personality for them and make them distinctive. This can take place over several "seasons". We don't need to have Chekhovs high school sweethearts third child from her second husband second cousin twice removed.
This is what happens when you leave Cryptic to their own devices.. they come up with Finnegan's great granddaughter.
Career Officer
# 22
01-14-2013, 11:07 AM
I think it comes down to money.

To get a voice actor from the shows and license their likeness is, in the cases of most of the popular characters, going to be quite expensive. A standalone game can justify that because people will want to buy the game and play it.

A free to play MMO? It is really hard to figure out exactly how much in new sales it would generate. Cryptic probably does not want to shell out a ton of money to add something to the game that is not necessarily going to pay for itself, as much as I am sure they would love to as Star Trek fans.

My bet is Denise Crosby was willing to license her character and do the acting for a lot less than Brent Spiner or Patrick Stewart.
Survivor of Romulus
# 23
01-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Icheb of course is DEAD
all the borg children would be by now (drones have a restricted use time)
Career Officer
# 24
01-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
I think it comes down to money.

To get a voice actor from the shows and license their likeness is, in the cases of most of the popular characters, going to be quite expensive. A standalone game can justify that because people will want to buy the game and play it.

A free to play MMO? It is really hard to figure out exactly how much in new sales it would generate. Cryptic probably does not want to shell out a ton of money to add something to the game that is not necessarily going to pay for itself, as much as I am sure they would love to as Star Trek fans.

My bet is Denise Crosby was willing to license her character and do the acting for a lot less than Brent Spiner or Patrick Stewart.
^^^
Yep - and remember, they're bringing Denise Crosby in for content related to the game's Third Anniversary celebration (IE - a event that will get a lot of press in gaming circles and may, as a result, bring more new players in to try that game as a result <--- And that's why they're willing to pony up the extra funds for it; as it amounts to an stronger advertisement for the game at a time they'll also get some 'free press' due to the Anniversary.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 25
01-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer1 View Post
But part of the problem of this games characters is that most are either characters from DS9, Voyager or TNG or are the "great-great somethings" of a character. Akira Sulu is a perfect example of that. They need to be creative and make their own (and likable) characters
In all fairness, as a trek fan, I tend to wonder about how this or that connects to the other. So I like little references to descendants of known names from ENT, TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY characters, whether their roles were big or small.

Having said that, I also believe that it is now time for STO to start trying to establish its own core presence. This isn't ENT, TOS, TNG, DS9 or VOY. We're decades past Nemesis which was the latest official canon material we have. There needs to be an established to-tier group of characters that are unique to this era. There needs to be a major central theme more to do with galactic affaird and less to do with individual ships and their crews, thus giving all captains a chance to get involved in the events. That's why, even though it cannot be denied that it is a grindfest, I like the New Romulus content. It is representative of a galactic plot development that we get to be a part of and have unfold around us. It's not like the mission content we were originally presented with. But one could level from 1 to 50 just doing New Romulus if they wanted to. Just doing Tau Dewa Doff assignments with optimal DOffs can net a decent amount of Dilithium.

The idea of drawing both KDF and UFP players together, while allowing both to retain their individual faction identities but not forcing conflict is pretty good, and a logical precursor to ending the formal state of war between the two.

There's still a lot that needs to be addressed with the game, but I feel that there is finally a sense of direction on Cryptic's part. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but nothing Cryptic could ever do would be.

The NR content sets up the Iconian plotline we know is coming. Sela's return will likely be the lighting of the proverbial fuse. And events of Season 8 will likely be where it explodes, bringing about significant change:

KDF and UFP sign new peace accord, bringing New Romulus into the alliance.

We may see a playable Romulan mini-faction born, granting us access to Romulan and Reman races. Possibly even Cardassians. Keep in mind that this would be an alliance, not the Klingons, Romulans and Cardassians joining the Federation. The Iconions are hinted at being the next bigbad that everyone will have issues with.

Anyway... the 25th century Trek Universe depicted in STO needs a solid establishment of plot, major players in the upper echelons, and most importanlty, its own identity just as each series of Star Trek has had its own identity.

If Cryptic can manage to get recognizable veteran Trek actors involved without breaking the bank in the process, excellent. But that won't really make or break it as a Star Trek experience.
No... Cryptic doesn't need new management... It just needs its management to pull its head out of its collective butt and get the give:take ratio back to being 1:1...
Republic Veteran
# 26
01-14-2013, 11:38 AM
the 22nd Century had Archer, and crew....the 23rd century had Kirk, and crew, the 24th century had Picard, Sisko, Janeway, and crew....the 25th century needs it's own characters.

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Lieutenant
# 27
01-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
the 22nd Century had Archer, and crew....the 23rd century had Kirk, and crew, the 24th century had Picard, Sisko, Janeway, and crew....the 25th century needs it's own characters.
Like.. kurland?
Republic Veteran
# 28
01-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaitu View Post
like.. Kurland?
Ohh God Noo Never Mind I Take It All Back!!

(^^all CAPS)

Bring me Picard, Worf, and the billions of the bastard descendents of Kirk.

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party

Last edited by neoakiraii; 01-14-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Career Officer
# 29
01-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Quote:
The obvious exception here is Worf, who kind of actually looks like worf.. and Spock, who kind of actually looks like Spock. Bones looks like bones.

Then you have Scotty, who doesn't look like Scotty.. Holo leeta, who doesn't look like Leeta.. the list goes on.. Taris, Sela, the female changeling, Klag..

So, what gives?
I asked a character artist I know in the industry about this a few months ago. I was asking why it's kind of tough making a unique face in STO compared to some other games.

Apparently the reason lies with that 'complexion' category we have in STO. There's essentially less than half a dozen textures for faces of a given gender (generic, asian, aged, etc.). Imagine taking the most aged skin and trying to create Betty White. It's simply not happening. Without actual new textures for the faces, you can morph individual features and colors, but the skin itself is pretty much the same.

In contrast, although City of Heroes didn't have as much face-morphing ability, they had dozens of actual different face textures. We've had plenty of uniforms, but almost no texture updates. For example, a wrinkly Ferengi face that suddenly gets smooth at the neckline and is not incorporated into the body texture skin. It was enough of a fight to just get Trill spots to go 'all the way down' way back when.

I'm pretty sure their character artists are fully onto z-store uniforms now as opposed to adding hair, complexions, or additional body textures. Or on Neverwinter. >_>

zen
Career Officer
# 30
01-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Quote:
So, what gives? I can understand that the laws behind likenesses are complicated.. but you'd think that the actors themselves would have the rights to their own likenesses, so why doesn't Leeta look like Masterson?
I believe in Leeta's case, it's just limitations of the existing tools; it is intended to be her likeness, and they licensed it from her. It's her doing the voice as well.

If the character looks at all like the actor, it must be licensed; even if limitations of the engine mean it doesn't look very much like them, it's an attempt to model their image. If they haven't licensed the likeness, you won't see the character at all. Any character you see in the game that is modeled after an adult actor is licensed. I wouldn't know what the terms of any of those licenses were, since I don't work for Cryptic.

Now, if the actor was a child, and the character is all grown up, they can use him or her, because it's not the actor's likeness; this is, as has been pointed out, the case with several characters in the game.