Republic Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 96
# 1 Foundry Frustration
03-16-2013, 10:36 PM
I am not an author, but I am an active player, and I want to start off by saying that I believe, or I want to believe that the concept of the Foundry can be a revolutionary part of this game giving it an ongoing creative flow of material.

With that said, my own experience is that the game mechanics are so poor that two of the seven Foundry missions I recently attempted to play I could not complete. BOFFS getting stuck in walls, beam in points un-findable, basic game-play functions not working...I don't see how this is sustainable, and I don't see how the Foundry becomes the content answer Cryptic is looking for. Take for example the mission "Checks and Balances." This is really a well conceived story, well written, at least the part I was able to get through, but after about an hour of trying I gave up...couldn't find the beam in point. I regulary play Elite STF, and have comnpleted all the episodes, so I know how the game works. There are about 3,000 reviews of this mission...most really good, but about 10% of people gave it 1 or 2 stars why? Mostly game mechanics issues. So it seems to me there needs to be some improvements in the tools authors are given to work with so they can bring working content to the players. For now I'll go back to repeating episode missions...or move on to another game.

Anybody else frustrated?

Last edited by vulcanmonk; 03-16-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: punctuation
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 113
# 2
03-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Your complaint had been ours since day one. Well mostly day one. The tools we are given are inadequate to produce missions up to cryptics caliper game mechanics wise. The story lines are easily a rival to theirs

Additionally the foundry has always been rife with bugs. I have noticed that playing through one time is fine, than playing it another I get stuck at some point.

I urge you to give us the benefit of the doubt, and play more missions. There are some awesome ones out there and more in development.

Last edited by gammadelta2; 03-17-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 68
# 3
03-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanmonk View Post
I am not an author, but I am an active player, and I want to start off by saying that I believe, or I want to believe that the concept of the Foundry can be a revolutionary part of this game giving it an ongoing creative flow of material.

With that said, my own experience is that the game mechanics are so poor that two of the seven Foundry missions I recently attempted to play I could not complete. BOFFS getting stuck in walls, beam in points un-findable, basic game-play functions not working...I don't see how this is sustainable, and I don't see how the Foundry becomes the content answer Cryptic is looking for. Take for example the mission "Checks and Balances." This is really a well conceived story, well written, at least the part I was able to get through, but after about an hour of trying I gave up...couldn't find the beam in point. I regulary play Elite STF, and have comnpleted all the episodes, so I know how the game works. There are about 3,000 reviews of this mission...most really good, but about 10% of people gave it 1 or 2 stars why? Mostly game mechanics issues. So it seems to me there needs to be some improvements in the tools authors are given to work with so they can bring working content to the players. For now I'll go back to repeating episode missions...or move on to another game.

Anybody else frustrated?


yeah........it's actually the moon you have to go too not the planet, no idea why the author said planet but there you go.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34676144000&dateline=  1356220537
Ensign
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 28
# 4
03-17-2013, 11:09 AM
First off, I wanted to apologize about not being able to get through "Checks and Balances."

I've been trying to e-mail everyone who leaves a review that mentions the problem with the planet individually, but that can get time consuming and I sometimes get a little behind.

The problem is that there's an "interact with planet" task that used to work but, after a recent patch, no longer works.

Unfortunately, since it's a spotlight mission, I no longer have the capacity to edit it. I've filed a bug report and contact PWE customer service, but all I've gotten is that they're aware of the bug and will fix it someday.

In the meantime, yYou can continue to play through the broken part by skipping the planet altogether and heading toward the small moon on the right as you enter the map. This will trigger a map change. The only problem is that you lose some vital information by doing this.

If you want to play through (and the rest of the mission apparently works fine), here?s the information you?ll be missing. I?ll put it in black text to avoid any spoilers for anyone else:


1) The Deferi ships were all attacked by a ship using phasers and quantum torpedoes.
2) That ship was the Eldridge, which is missing.
3) The archive on Lae'nas was attacked and is in ruins. All the Deferi there are dead. The Preservers are gone.
4) Prof. Olpar reveals that there is actually a second archive on the smaller moon. This was were the bulk of the Preservers were in stasis because it was more geologically stable than the planet.
5) You decide to check out the second archive.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 5
03-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanmonk View Post
Anybody else frustrated?
Very, in fact I spent a lot of time working on a Foundry mission (a follow-up to the Undine arc 'Assimilated' mission) and ultimately gave up in frustration with the toolset.

Things that made the mission I wanted to build unfeasible:

Invisible walls are hopelessly broken and allow players to aggro opponents they shouldn't be able to (this is exploited in ground STFs too).

Inability to assign enemies as 'friendlies' (you can drop in friendly Feds/KDF or neutral creatures but they'll fight with factional weapons - I wanted 'friendly' Undine but this simply isn't possibly since the only way you can get them is to disguise animals as Undine and they die in seconds making the exercise pointless).

Zero control over how your mission scales for groups - I wanted tougher encounters against a handful of powerful opponents for group play - instead STO simply spawns more enemies.

The system as it stands can be used to create simple, story-driven content (and even allows for some interesting 'hacks') but complex game-play is impossible with all the bugs in the Foundry.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,494
# 6
03-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fu11ofstars View Post
The problem is that there's an "interact with planet" task that used to work but, after a recent patch, no longer works.

Unfortunately, since it's a spotlight mission, I no longer have the capacity to edit it. I've filed a bug report and contact PWE customer service, but all I've gotten is that they're aware of the bug and will fix it someday.

Contact Brandon directly and let him know this has happened to your mission. Basically , stay in contact with the guy who is responsible for the Spotlights. If anyone can help you, it will be him.

Last edited by hippiejon; 03-20-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 7
03-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Very, in fact I spent a lot of time working on a Foundry mission (a follow-up to the Undine arc 'Assimilated' mission) and ultimately gave up in frustration with the toolset.

Things that made the mission I wanted to build unfeasible:

Invisible walls are hopelessly broken and allow players to aggro opponents they shouldn't be able to (this is exploited in ground STFs too).

Inability to assign enemies as 'friendlies' (you can drop in friendly Feds/KDF or neutral creatures but they'll fight with factional weapons - I wanted 'friendly' Undine but this simply isn't possibly since the only way you can get them is to disguise animals as Undine and they die in seconds making the exercise pointless).

Zero control over how your mission scales for groups - I wanted tougher encounters against a handful of powerful opponents for group play - instead STO simply spawns more enemies.

The system as it stands can be used to create simple, story-driven content (and even allows for some interesting 'hacks') but complex game-play is impossible with all the bugs in the Foundry.
All this have simple and well-known workarounds. Your invisible walls will work fine if you choose the tall version and set them at Y = -20.

You can costume neutral targs or even friendly NPCs. The neutral ones won't fight no matter what, the friendly ones will help you.

It does spawn dreadnoughts at some point (4 players for a battleship group). The game is quite good at handling difficulty.

Complexity comes with the tricks you learn.

Last edited by diogene0; 03-20-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 8
03-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
All this have simple and well-known workarounds. Your invisible walls will work fine if you choose the tall version and set them at Y = -20.
Nope - plasma grenades and similar AoE effects can still aggro stuff behind these walls (it's a game-wide bug, not restricted solely to the Foundry).

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
You can costume neutral targs or even friendly NPCs. The neutral ones won't fight no matter what, the friendly will help you.
Done that - a Targ won't live very long against a Borg drone though - I wanted to put together a mission where you fight alongside some Undine to free members of their crew that have been taken for assimilation. Making them Feds/KDF means they run around firing Disruptors or Phasers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
It does spawn dreadnoughts at some point (4 players for a battleship group). The game is quite good at handling difficulty.
Say you want a Borg Cube and several Spheres in specific places though - you can set that up for single player, but when someone joins you (and this is designed to be a group mission) they spawn all over the place. Basically, you have no control over how the Foundry handles team missions.

What I wanted was a tougher Cube/Spheres - what I got were multiples that broke the setup for the mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
Complexity comes with the tricks you learn.
I applaud the ingenuity of some of the Foundry authors out there, but all the hacks and tricks in the world don't compensate for the fact that the toolset is broken.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 129
# 9
03-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
I applaud the ingenuity of some of the Foundry authors out there, but all the hacks and tricks in the world don't compensate for the fact that the toolset is broken.
So true man... so true.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 806
# 10
03-20-2013, 06:26 PM
You'd think with the big push to get everyone playing and creating Foundry missions they would have the common sense to invest more time and actually fix the system to a decent standard before trying to push everyone into it...

Oh wait, guess not, that would be sensible after all..

***Disenchanted***
Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:30 AM.