Career Officer
# 41
01-17-2013, 09:31 PM
I'm honestly inspired to try a lot of things I never have before because of the limits of this challenge. Both from a storytelling perspective and using the stuff the Foundry editor can do.

By no means am I saying that I feel any differently about how unreasonable it is to ask us to do this challenge with NO contacts, No Tholian Ground Mobs not in Enviro suits, No actual Tholian set pieces (C'mon give us the stinkin' bridge !) .......

but I guess if we're being asked to make breakfast with nothing but popcorn, mayo and cayenne pepper for seasoning, we'll have to make do.

So, how long till Challenge #7 ?

Peace, Love and May Your Stories Flourish
- Hippie
Captain
# 42
01-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Space Tholian mobs are on Tribble now, and are going into the patch for Holodeck tonight in just under 2 hours: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...11#post7512111

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Thanks. Just to be clear: It's just npc group mobs though, yes? We can't reskin a friendly Fed ship as a Tholian, we can't set a tholian as a costume, we can't talk to a Tholian, etc.

So we can either kill them in space or kill them on the ground. Or we can use invis walls galore and somehow fake a dialogue with the back of computer console. I guess we could use invis objects with default text and not select a costume.

People probably need a workaround tutorial for this contest.
Career Officer
# 43
01-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
People probably need a workaround tutorial for this contest.

Truth.

'Nuff said.
Captain
# 44
01-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Truth.

'Nuff said.
I'm actually considering it. Some of these tricks are tribal knowledge that shouldn't be necessary in the first place, and they only work because certain things are not working as intended in the first place.

I think I'll do my part to level the playing field when the challenge isn't how to tell a good story but instead how to even tell a story without X, Y, and Z.
Survivor of Romulus
# 45
01-18-2013, 03:19 AM
A question.. the npcs in my mission are driving me insane (falling through the map/dissapearing)... once i've finished the mission, can I publish it for a brief time to see if the npcs actually work or if I need to edit the maps etc?
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 46
01-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
A question.. the npcs in my mission are driving me insane (falling through the map/dissapearing)... once i've finished the mission, can I publish it for a brief time to see if the npcs actually work or if I need to edit the maps etc?
Yes, you can publish it to do a test, but you'll need to withdraw it ASAP -- it would also be best to delete the title/ description and put a placeholder that mentions you are testing and to not play it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Survivor of Romulus
# 47
01-18-2013, 08:21 AM
One thing you can do is publish, go pick up the mission with a captain, then go unpublish. That captain will still have the mission and can play it, but nobody else can see it while you're testing.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Commander
# 48
01-18-2013, 08:51 AM
I know alot of us are disappointed that we can't get Contacts/Costumes for the Tholians, but still we got more toys to play with, maybe it's time we should show some gratitude by using what they've given us the best we can and make some amazing missions for this Challenge.

I am generally surprised they haven't made a bridge and interior for the NX class.
I mean we already got the ship and character costumes/npc!
ATTENTION: UNDINE SPACE & TKON GROUND SETS ALL THE WAY DEVS!.. Q-TRIBBLE, MAYBE!?.. EJECT WARP CORE ABILITY LIKE LAYING A SUPER-MINE, HELL YES!!!.. SPACE HIPPIES FROM TOS PLAYING MUSIC IN OUR FLEET STARBASE, NO, JUST, NO... CAIT & RA'KHOLN ADVENTURE ZONE, YES

Survivor of Romulus
# 49
01-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysmith1 View Post
I know alot of us are disappointed that we can't get Contacts/Costumes for the Tholians, but still we got more toys to play with, maybe it's time we should show some gratitude by using what they've given us the best we can and make some amazing missions for this Challenge.

I am generally surprised they haven't made a bridge and interior for the NX class.
I mean we already got the ship and character costumes/npc!
maybe some enterprise maco outfits? :O
Empire Veteran
# 50
01-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysmith1 View Post
I know alot of us are disappointed that we can't get Contacts/Costumes for the Tholians, but still we got more toys to play with, maybe it's time we should show some gratitude by using what they've given us the best we can and make some amazing missions for this Challenge. !
We're basically providing them unlimited content and it's almost free, unless they are investing massive amounts of money in it, which is doubtful. They should show us some gratitude.

Jokes apart, don't be silly, this challenge sounds like a "create a harry potter episode using the foundry" to most of us and you know we are right.