Captain
# 31
01-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
I'm not sure if CBS is saving the 'B' for the books or perhaps a future video trek adventure, but I don't believe that STO can do much with it at this point.
They will never make another movie or tv show that is like the TNG or TMP.It is strickly JJ show now as Berman and Braga failed at it miserably.You never kill off an icon Generations Kirk ,Nemisis Data.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp26 View Post
We all know what happened to the Enterprise C. Went through time portal, Captain died, future Tactical officer hitched a ride, went back through portal, fought four Warbids and boom. Ship destroyed and crew taken back to Romulus. The Enterprise B vanished without a trace. How about a mission that explains what happened to her?
Dont expect that to ever happen, the lawyers at CBS and the micromanaging of STO has already done so much damage they would never allow such a thing.
Captain
# 33
01-18-2013, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
They will never make another movie or tv show that is like the TNG or TMP.It is strickly JJ show now as Berman and Braga failed at it miserably.You never kill off an icon Generations Kirk ,Nemisis Data.

You kill them off, you just kill them off well.

Spock in Wrath of Khan.

Kirk and Data didn't have good send offs.

The loading screens in STO tell you the Ent-E was the first to encounter an 8472 singularity. The rest of it I got from a thread here on teh forums, asking what happened to the E. Apparantly, it was a story written in a Star Trek magazine, where Shon (Captain of the Ent-F) went to Data, where he is retired and now lecturing at a university, looking for some advice and guidance prior to taking the F on her maiden voyage. Data related the story of the E's final mission in that story. I haven't read it personally, but that's the tale folks were posting on here.

As for Harriman, he struck me as a newly promoted Captain. Someone with no space experience under his belt yet, literally just promoted. After all, every Captain has to have that first command, and a quick run around Pluto is a good way to get your Captain adjusted to his new ship, his new crew. See how everyone works together. I'm sure lots of Captains are like that first time out. But I can see him becoming a great captain as he grew into the position.

I like to think he continued on with the B straight after Generations (no gap of another captain) and had many years in command. I read somewhere he made first contact with 17 new species.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Career Officer
# 34
01-18-2013, 02:41 AM
Data's "death" was abrupt, but a powerful moment. Kirk's death was just a plain tragedy, where we expected to be grand and he instead went out with whimper.

But when it comes to the B's end, I hope it's creative. So far we got the 1701 self destructing, the A decommissioned, and the D destroyed. Cryptic never fully let on with the E if she was captured, scuttled, or abandoned. The C supposed to been self destructed, but then there was tales of the hull being dragged to Romulus to be displayed.

So the B needs to have a fate that's different, like she was "flown apart" (referencing Sulu's "Fly her apart then") during an emergency and her frame was too damaged to remain in service. (There are military ships and aircraft that actually had that happen). Maybe tie that to the Tomed incident like some stories suggest.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Captain
# 35
01-18-2013, 03:25 AM
While I agree that Data's death was powerful, alot to do with the shocked after effects and little memorial afterwards, all of that power was taken away by having those hints at the end that B4 was becoming Data. I have no issue with that plot (though I do with B4 in general), by introducing such a blatant obvious sign that data was coming back so soon after we had seen him die took away the impact. At least for me.

Granted, at the end of Khan, we saw Spock's torpedo on Genesis, but that was it. His torpedo landed on Genesis. There was no hint he was coming back until into the next film.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Career Officer
# 36
01-18-2013, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspatteredjack View Post
However, as an actor I still think he lacked presence much in the same way as Chris Evans did when acting along side Robert Downey Jr. in the Avengers. Both great actors in their own films but put together and unfortunately one lost presence somewhat.
Avengers was basically Iron Man 3 with a really strong supporting cast. Seriously, think of all the major moments that didn't have Iron Man present (and stealing the show).

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk

Last edited by darkjeff; 01-21-2013 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Broken code fixed
Career Officer
# 37
01-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Data's "death" was abrupt, but a powerful moment. Kirk's death was just a plain tragedy, where we expected to be grand and he instead went out with whimper.

But when it comes to the B's end, I hope it's creative. So far we got the 1701 self destructing, the A decommissioned, and the D destroyed. Cryptic never fully let on with the E if she was captured, scuttled, or abandoned. The C supposed to been self destructed, but then there was tales of the hull being dragged to Romulus to be displayed.

So the B needs to have a fate that's different, like she was "flown apart" (referencing Sulu's "Fly her apart then") during an emergency and her frame was too damaged to remain in service. (There are military ships and aircraft that actually had that happen). Maybe tie that to the Tomed incident like some stories suggest.
Has to be said, a few of the ships to carry the name 'Enterprise' have had pretty short lives.

NX-01: Fleet Museum (according to the travesty of an episode that was "These are the Voyages"

NCC-1701: Auto-destruct following around 40 years of service

NCC-1701-A: Retired - length of service not really known, as she wasn't comissioned as an 'Enterprise' and though Roddenbury is said to have thought her to be the USS Yorktown prior to re-naming, nothing in canon confirms this and other sources claim other pre-enterprise names for the ship

NCC-1701-B: Comissioned 2293. Fate not known (in canon), although we DO know that her sucessor, the Enterprise-C, was in service by 2332

NCC 1701-C: As noted, in service by 2332. Lost at Battle of Narendra III 2344.

NCC-1701-D: Launched 2363, destroyed in 2371 by the B'uttUgly sisters in a rustbucket BoP/warp-core breach/crash landing.

NCC-1701-E: 2372 - ?

STAR TREK BATTLES - HIGH DPS PLAYERS NEED NOT APPY
Career Officer
# 38
01-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by age03 View Post
Brent Spiner has said in various interviews that he thought it was time for Data to be killed off as he himself had visibly aged out of the role.

I think TNG was masterfully done, but it did take them almost a full season to find their legs. DS9 took things in a completely different direction, and I enjoyed it immensely. I even came to like Voyager. Enterprise, on the other hand, was a great premise that unfortunately didn't really resonate with the fans (including me). At least it explained why some things in Trek are the way they are.

I really think it's a shame that George Takei is 75 now. I really would have liked to see a few seasons of ST:Excelsior. Apparently that was the other option besides ST:Enterprise. Excelsior could have done an excellent job of in canon bridging the gap between TMP and TNG.
Survivor of Romulus
# 39
01-18-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
NCC-1701-A: Retired - length of service not really known, as she wasn't comissioned as an 'Enterprise' and though Roddenbury is said to have thought her to be the USS Yorktown prior to re-naming, nothing in canon confirms this and other sources claim other pre-enterprise names for the ship
Yeah I seem to remember something about that. That it had been built and was going to be the Yorktown, then when they found out they'd need a new Enterprise they renamed it and gave it to Kirk. Sucks to be the guy in line to command the Yorktown though.

Maybe it was from one of the movie novelizations? Wasn't ever said on screen though.

I think it was the same idea with the second Defiant. They had one in the shipyards called the Sao Paulo, but Ross pulled some strings and got it sent to Sisko and renamed.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspatteredjack View Post
+1 Would love to read more about the 'E' as well and the 'B'. Did Picard simply retire then or did he pass away? It's just so strange to me that the 'E' in particular has so little history. Stranger even that Data would have been given command of her, survived yet is no longer in the STO universe?!?

As for the 'B', the actor who playeed her captain really didn't have the presence to do the ship and her name justice in my opinion which is a shame, because generally I think he really is a good actor. (I forget his name now, sorry).

BTW, thanks for the replies...
DOES NO ONE ELSE READ THE WRITING BETWEEN MISSION LOADS! Picard retired from Starfleet and became Ambassador to Vulcan. He married Beverly Crusher and they have a son. Data became captain of the Enterprise E which became the first ship to cross through an Undine rift into fluidic space. The ship returned to Federation space, but it was heavily damaged. No information has been given about what happened after it got back from fluidic space.