Lt. Commander
# 41
01-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
While I agree that Data's death was powerful, alot to do with the shocked after effects and little memorial afterwards, all of that power was taken away by having those hints at the end that B4 was becoming Data. I have no issue with that plot (though I do with B4 in general), by introducing such a blatant obvious sign that data was coming back so soon after we had seen him die took away the impact. At least for me.

Granted, at the end of Khan, we saw Spock's torpedo on Genesis, but that was it. His torpedo landed on Genesis. There was no hint he was coming back until into the next film.
Again, read the writing that appears when loading maps or missions. B4 was reprogrammed by Geordi Laforge to be the new Data.
Commander
# 42
01-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp26 View Post
DOES NO ONE ELSE READ THE WRITING BETWEEN MISSION LOADS! Picard retired from Starfleet and became Ambassador to Vulcan. He married Beverly Crusher and they have a son. Data became captain of the Enterprise E which became the first ship to cross through an Undine rift into fluidic space. The ship returned to Federation space, but it was heavily damaged. No information has been given about what happened after it got back from fluidic space.
Given that it had encountered an entirely different universe and returned damaged, it isn't unreasonable Starfleet would decommission the ship and put it in a research dock to study everything that had been done to it by being in that universe (when the very laws of physics change, it's important to know how when other ships might encounter the same incident). That could take years, and you can't have a starship, let alone the flagship of the fleet, sitting unmanned and in commission. By striking the ship from the lists, the hull becomes available to the Corps of Engineers for extended study, and you can now free assets to support a new ship. This is especially true if the ship was so heavily damaged that it's hull was beyond full restoration.
Career Officer
# 43
01-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Has to be said, a few of the ships to carry the name 'Enterprise' have had pretty short lives.

NX-01: Fleet Museum (according to the travesty of an episode that was "These are the Voyages"

NCC-1701: Auto-destruct following around 40 years of service

NCC-1701-A: Retired - length of service not really known, as she wasn't comissioned as an 'Enterprise' and though Roddenbury is said to have thought her to be the USS Yorktown prior to re-naming, nothing in canon confirms this and other sources claim other pre-enterprise names for the ship

NCC-1701-B: Comissioned 2293. Fate not known (in canon), although we DO know that her sucessor, the Enterprise-C, was in service by 2332

NCC 1701-C: As noted, in service by 2332. Lost at Battle of Narendra III 2344.

NCC-1701-D: Launched 2363, destroyed in 2371 by the B'uttUgly sisters in a rustbucket BoP/warp-core breach/crash landing.

NCC-1701-E: 2372 - ?
What is the point in your response to my post? All I did was summarize how the Enterprises ended and suggested one different for the Enterprise-B than the merely being blown up.
Captain
# 44
01-21-2013, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Again, read the writing that appears when loading maps or missions. B4 was reprogrammed by Geordi Laforge to be the new Data.
I haven't seen the loading screen that says Geordie did it. But I was referring to the end of Nemesis, not STO. I know B4 became the new Data thanks to Countdown comics, I was saying that leaving us with such strong hints that was working at the end of Nemesis watered down Data's death from the film.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Survivor of Romulus
# 45
01-21-2013, 06:14 AM
Quote:
DOES NO ONE ELSE READ THE WRITING BETWEEN MISSION LOADS! Picard retired from Starfleet and became Ambassador to Vulcan. He married Beverly Crusher and they have a son. Data became captain of the Enterprise E which became the first ship to cross through an Undine rift into fluidic space. The ship returned to Federation space, but it was heavily damaged. No information has been given about what happened after it got back from fluidic space.
I do, but I never read that bit about the Enterprise and fluidic space.
Career Officer
# 46
01-21-2013, 07:00 AM
Quote:
I was saying that leaving us with such strong hints that was working at the end of Nemesis watered down Data's death from the film.
It prevents nerdrage if there is a glimmer of hope. How much hate did that guy who killed Chewie get?

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk
Captain
# 47
01-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjeff View Post
It prevents nerdrage if there is a glimmer of hope. How much hate did that guy who killed Chewie get?
Spock had no glimmer of hope. He was dead and buried. Kirk had no glimmer of hope in generations.

Wait.... Chewie died?

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 48
01-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Wait.... Chewie died?
Yeah. October 1999. They dropped a moon on him. And then Star Wars fans had several years of novels (of varying quality, as usual) about extragalactic aliens trying to take over the galaxy.
Rihannsu
# 49
01-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoknight89 View Post
about Organic Borg trying to take over the galaxy.
I Fixed it.
Survivor of Romulus
# 50
01-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoknight89 View Post
Yeah. October 1999. They dropped a moon on him. And then Star Wars fans had several years of novels (of varying quality, as usual) about extragalactic aliens trying to take over the galaxy.
at least it took a moon to take him out.