Career Officer
# 51
01-21-2013, 09:08 AM
I do read the short information during page load outs but never saw those mentioned by a previous poster.

In regards to the A, I read somewhere once a very long time ago in a comic book no less that the Enterprise - A was stripped down and given as a 'gift' to an 'alien' government for its personal use. The person receiving the Enterprise than decided to recruit a retired James T Kirk to command the Enterprise once again for a non Federation mission in a stripped down Enterprise. In the end, Kirk survives (obviously and presumably to go onto his death in Generations) but the Enterprise A itself is destroyed defending the alien race from marauding oppressors. I forget the name of the comic book itself and keep in mind this is over fifteen years ago now...

BTW, have you guys seen Star Trek Renegades!?!? Stars Alan Ruck and a host of known Star Trek caharcaters/actors from TOS, Voyager, etc... I watched it the other day after discussing this thread. It was interesting to see Alan Ruck reprise his role as Captain Harriman.

Renegades takes place 12 years after Kirk's 'death' aboard the Enterprise B. The 'B' is under the command of Harriman still and Uhura and company meet aboard a replica of the original Enterprise 1701 (listed as 'M') as a tribute to Kirk. Charlie Evans and another surprise enemy form the original TOS are the core of the story line.

In an unrelated note, I cannot believe Chewie is dead!!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)

Last edited by bugspatteredjack; 01-21-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 52
01-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angarus1 View Post
at least it took a moon to take him out.
That's no moon.

Lt. Commander
# 53
01-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grylak View Post
I haven't seen the loading screen that says Geordie did it. But I was referring to the end of Nemesis, not STO. I know B4 became the new Data thanks to Countdown comics, I was saying that leaving us with such strong hints that was working at the end of Nemesis watered down Data's death from the film.
It does actually say that Geordi did it. Which was probably the biggest surprise of STO. B4 was technically a sentient being. By reprogramming him, Georgi Laforge had essentially murdered him. The TNG writers would never have allowed that. Not after all the work they did to prove androids were people too.

Back to the original thread, the B reported some kind of infection then went silent. It has not been seen or heard from since. There are parallels with Donatra's "disappearance". Strange readings followed by total radio silence. She shows up twenty three years later as a Borg drone.
Survivor of Romulus
# 54
01-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspatteredjack View Post
In regards to the A, I read somewhere once a very long time ago in a comic book no less that the Enterprise - A was stripped down and given as a 'gift' to an 'alien' government for its personal use. The person receiving the Enterprise than decided to recruit a retired James T Kirk to command the Enterprise once again for a non Federation mission in a stripped down Enterprise. In the end, Kirk survives (obviously and presumably to go onto his death in Generations) but the Enterprise A itself is destroyed defending the alien race from marauding oppressors. I forget the name of the comic book itself and keep in mind this is over fifteen years ago now...
I also recall something similar, but from the Shatner/Reeves-Stevens book Ashes of Eden. After decomissioning the A was given to aliens for their defense force and they enlisted a retired or semi-retired Kirk to command it (pre-Generations, obviously). It is then destroyed in battle.

Of course this is soft canon, which is even worse about contradictions than hard canon.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Career Officer
# 55
01-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
I also recall something similar, but from the Shatner/Reeves-Stevens book Ashes of Eden. After decomissioning the A was given to aliens for their defense force and they enlisted a retired or semi-retired Kirk to command it (pre-Generations, obviously). It is then destroyed in battle.

Of course this is soft canon, which is even worse about contradictions than hard canon.
I thnk your right! The name sounds very familiar.... as for it being soft canon, true. But Given the events that took place during 'Generations', I always wished Kirk had just gone down with the Enterprise - A frankly. Certainly would have been truer to his character than his movie death of 'oh my'....

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Survivor of Romulus
# 56
01-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspatteredjack View Post
I thnk your right! The name sounds very familiar.... as for it being soft canon, true. But Given the events that took place during 'Generations', I always wished Kirk had just gone down with the Enterprise - A frankly. Certainly would have been truer to his character than his movie death of 'oh my'....

Read the Shatnerverse books. It'll make you feel better.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Captain
# 57
01-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
That's no moon.
Well, not anymore. The Vong chewed up what was left of it to make more space ships.
Career Officer
# 58
01-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
...But when it comes to the B's end, I hope it's creative.
So the B needs to have a fate that's different, like she was "flown apart" (referencing Sulu's "Fly her apart then") during an emergency and her frame was too damaged to remain in service. (There are military ships and aircraft that actually had that happen).
I thought that worked well for the Galactica in the reimagined series' final jump.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*
Career Officer
# 59
01-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Yes. The story being described here is Shatner's The Ashes of Eden, a novel which was also adapted as a graphic novel. And it's a hell of a story!
Captain
# 60
01-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp26 View Post
Again, read the writing that appears when loading maps or missions. B4 was reprogrammed by Geordi Laforge to be the new Data.
No. The B4/Data story was told in the "Needs of the Many" STO novel. Spoilers..

The Daystrom Institude and Geordie managed to get Data's engrams rebooted inside of B-4 brain. Data with his more sophisticated mind would eventually grow to fill B4's positron brain and overwhelm B4's engrams. So Data started to write a program to wipe his engrams from B4's brain to give his brother to live. Geordie and Maddox were trying to get Data back because the Federation needed him. They feed him information about what was going on to convince him to come back. B4's engrams saw this and knew from Data's memories about people making sacrifices. So B4 sacrificed himself using Data's program to allow his older brother to live.

But not to worry. They have a full quantum level scan of B4. So they can recover his engrams. Once Data has ...

Well that's another story.