Career Officer
So, for the 3rd time today I warp into a half completed (Optional Failed) Infected Space Elite. We completed it and sure I got my loot but it got me thinking.

The person I replaced may have had internet issues but when an "Elitist" or indeed anyone rage quits after a failed optional this effects not only the team they were in, but also the poor sod waiting to start a game, seeking maximum reward

Please don't get me wrong I know I am PUGing and I could STF with premade teams and this is not a dig at failing optionals - I am sure we have all been there at one point or another.

In my opinion I would think it would be fairer to stop players being put into missions that have already been running, then again would this be fair to the team who had to suffer the rage quitter in the first place........

What are your thoughts internet?

P.S. This is just a PvE thought and I genuinely would like to hear peoples thoughts
Being first at any cost is not always the point.

Last edited by laetans1; 01-15-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Fixing More Typos - Damn You Dyslexic Fingers
Career Officer
# 2 PVE New or Existing?
01-15-2013, 01:32 PM
I would like to see the option of joining a new or existing in the PVE Que - similar to that of the PVP Que.

I, too, see the point to helping out a team that had a member leave or whatever reason (D/C, Rage Quitting, PUG, Trolling). However, it would also be a nice feature that if you did get put into an already existing instance of an STF - that the cool down be reduced.

I've been thrown into a KASE with 4 cubes out, 8/10 on the vortex passthrough and only 3 players. I think we actually completed it, of course not with optional, however then we have to wait the hour cool down. I didn't even get to really play...

I would at least like the option of choosing if I can go into an already existing match, or a newly created match.
Career Officer
# 3
01-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by franc275 View Post
I would like to see the option of joining a new or existing in the PVE Que - similar to that of the PVP Que.
As someone who has not really PvP'ed I didn't know this option even existed - If its there for PvP why not PvE

Quote:
I, too, see the point to helping out a team that had a member leave or whatever reason (D/C, Rage Quitting, PUG, Trolling). However, it would also be a nice feature that if you did get put into an already existing instance of an STF - that the cool down be reduced.
Indeed,either that or if you did opt to join an "in progress" all hell's broke loose STF the perhaps be awarded bonus marks for helping your fellow trekkies

Last edited by laetans1; 01-15-2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
Captain
# 4
01-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Luckily I only encountered one elitist jerk in an ISE that failed the optional due to someone blowing a generator from the first transformer too early. That was one of my more painful STFs. Might have encountered others, but elitist jerks are generally quiet when the STF is doing well.
Captain
# 5
01-15-2013, 02:11 PM
I myself am one who does not care so much about optionals. f we get it, great, if not, at least we finish victorious.

But yes, these elitists are one reason why I never PUG, the other reason being the people who do Elites, and have absolutely no idea what to do at all, who jut go into Elites without ever doing a single Normal......But back on subject, I got tired of seeing "noobs" messages in chat even when we were doing the 10% rule. I have been in a few Infected matches where more than one person would quit immediately upon failing the optional. So far, Infected seems to be the one most prone to this.

The way I solved this was to just quit trying my luck at PUG, and stick to the Fleet private matches.

I successfully completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE.
My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, ISS Queen Elizabeth, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord

Click here to view my DeviantArt.
Captain
# 6
01-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Sorry but when you are in a group of people that refuse to read chat and do stuff like attack generators while the cube is still alive there isn't much point in staying around for a hopeless situation like that.
Career Officer
# 7
01-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaleff View Post
I myself am one who does not care so much about optionals. f we get it, great, if not, at least we finish victorious.
Could not agree more

Quote:
Sorry but when you are in a group of people that refuse to read chat and do stuff like attack generators while the cube is still alive there isn't much point in staying around for a hopeless situation like that.
I understand your point but would say the three things that I accept (and think that everybody should understand) when PUGing:

1. Its Random

2. Not everyone speaks english and this game is a world wide game

3. Its only a game

I guess its not as bad when its a Khitomer Space or Cure Space because they can at least be outright fails, ISE on the other hand can go on and on and on and on until your eyes bleed and your fingers are bloody stumps

Last edited by laetans1; 01-15-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Note to self - Proof Read before posting - Typo Fix
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
01-16-2013, 04:39 AM
If nothing else at all, it all boils down to the rage quitters needing more time and effort, if ever, to achieve the reputation tiers, and get all the gear. (Unless they have it all, and therefore look even dumber for just wasting their own time, most of all.)

Yeah, it's all pixels... it's just a game. I'd rather play a game and enjoy myself, rather than go outside into a really cold world, outside my wind and snow drift blasted window, right now. Heh.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=93314053000&dateline=  1378014577
Republic Veteran
# 9
01-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Going by the idea of a choice of joining an in progress STFs, why not remove the 60 minute cooldown for them? Or at least reduce it to 15 minutes or so. This would be good incentive for players to join them, and would go a long way to helping out the poor guys stuck in the STF a player or two down, maybe with the optional failed.
Rihannsu
# 10
01-16-2013, 08:13 AM
The optional is just 15 lousy omega marks. A drop in the bucket. Even the random variation of the end reward is at least twice that. I laugh at the poor guys who get so wound up over missing that to take the leaver penalty instead of finishing the STF and getting the real reward.

So you end up in a half-finished STF, so what? You could have missed the optional anyway, had you been with that team from the start. And who knows the next team could be even worse. At least half-finished, it will take slightly less time to do than if you had been there the whole time.