Lieutenant
# 11
01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Been playing less then two months with my engineer captain. Been running around with tier four ship looking to upgrade in the near future and been looking over the odyssey builds. With the card my children gave me I am close to ZEN for odyssey pack (three ships). So my question is getting the 3-pack and putting all three consoles into one ship a trap? I have yet to see anyone running either of the two break off consoles.
Rihannsu
# 12
01-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfistcoh View Post
my question is getting the 3-pack and putting all three consoles into one ship a trap?
Its perhaps not as the Bortas as all consoles play well with each other as the Odyssey does not allow to separate and have the Aquarius deployed at the same time but worker bees function at all time.

Also here is what the set gives you.

+0.5 Flight Turn Rate
25% recharge time reduction to the Odyssey Console Set
+12 Starship Hull Plating
+12 Starship Armor Reinforcements
+12 Starship Electro-Plasma System
Lieutenant
# 13
01-22-2013, 12:55 PM
How is the AI on the Odyssey separation components? I seem to recall one thread the tactical ones likes to close and gets caught in dying ship explosions.
Captain
# 14
01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Quote:
How is the AI on the Odyssey separation components? I seem to recall one thread the tactical ones likes to close and gets caught in dying ship explosions.
Some disagree, but in my experience, horrid.

The saucer can sometimes put up a bit of a fight and will occasionally be of help. The Aquarius - if it somehow LIVES that long - can provide a nice damage boost in some situations, but it's extremely frail.

If I recall correctly, at some point they made the AI a little smarter about flying into warp core breaches. This may have actually been reverted out in a later patch. However, all things told, I wouldn't rely on them. In fact, the only reason I have the Aquarius equipped on my Odyssey is for the set bonuses, and the fact that I like to feel that my ship is 'complete.'
Captain
# 15
01-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Been playing less then two months with my engineer captain. Been running around with tier four ship looking to upgrade in the near future and been looking over the odyssey builds. With the card my children gave me I am close to ZEN for odyssey pack (three ships). So my question is getting the 3-pack and putting all three consoles into one ship a trap? I have yet to see anyone running either of the two break off consoles.
I run all three consoles. I wouldn't call it a "trap." I'm not sure what you mean by "break-off consoles," though I'd guess that you mean saucer separation and the Aquarius. I see the saucer sep fairly regularly, but keep in mind that it's often a 'let's get serious' button, so you may not see it all that often unless the mission starts going pear-shaped.

That said, there are definitely drawbacks, namely the fact that your ten console cruiser goes down to seven available slots. Would it be smarter to just ditch the Aquarius and Work Bees, or at least the Aquarius? I don't know, really. The Work Bees are definitely a bit helpful, though, as they can heal teammates from further away than most healing abilities (15 KM as opposed to 10 KM, often the difference between rescuing a comrade and surveying space debris).

I can say, however, without a doubt that I would never give up the saucer separation. That's the feature that sold me on the Odyssey, really. Even if I don't use it all that often, having the 'emergency fight mode' button is a good one to feel, and it helps a bit when you're frustrated with the Ody's handling to know that you can fix it if you really have to, at least for a little while.

The set bonuses are... so-so in most regards. The stat bonuses will let you squeeze a little more power from Emergency Power abilities and transfer power a little faster, and will boost your resistances by about 1% each. Not huge. However, they also help the Odyssey move a little faster, and - perhaps most important - they cut down the cooldowns. I believe a previous poster mentioned this, in fact. So they are hardly magical, but they are there, and if you're particularly used to using the Odyssey's toys, the synergy will help you get more out of them.

That said, it's perfectly viable to fly the Odyssey as a gigantic space whale with NO special consoles and populate the console slots as you see fit, although I can't say I'd necessarily recommend it, especially if you have the three pack.
Captain
# 16
01-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Quote:
my question is getting the 3-pack and putting all three consoles into one ship a trap?
It could perhaps be considered a trap in the sense that the game makes it sound as though the Odyssey is the ultimate ship, and it isn't. It's a decent ship if you can use it well, but that can be tricky because of the low turn rate. The consoles are nice, but you still have to work with the fundamentals of the ship.

Since you've only been playing for 2 months and it took me nearly that long to get to endgame, I would recommend that you spend some more time playing around with stuff at endgame before deciding whether to buy something this expensive. The basic Assault Cruiser and Star Cruiser are perfectly viable for endgame content, as are their mirror versions which are available for fairly cheap on the Exchange. Those should give you a clearer idea of what exactly you want in your ship, and then you can get whichever one fits that best. Plus there's the Ambassador coming out soon, so you'd have that to choose from too.

Unless of course you're planning to spend $1000 on the game, in which case, go for it, but get a lifetime sub first thing so you get the free zen from that.
Lieutenant
# 17
01-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the advice. Before I pick to upgrade to ship that cost Zen or lots of other currency, I need to get better with my star cruiser. Playing with three piece Breen set and like the extra features but my shields are going down faster.

I played CoH for eight years and learned how to squeeze out performance on builds without dropping down large amounts of influence. I joined a fleet last night and visited the base and drooled over the option they have available. I believe I need to find the niche in terms of style/equipment and then could do a ship upgrade .. got the breen ship in my bank so I migth give that a try. I am enjoying the game and would consider if they had a sell on lifetime to go that route.
Rihannsu
# 18
01-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Just one thing.

The Separation console is in operation but I think its the Tactical that benefits most from separation because not only you get more firepower due to the 3 tactical consoles and because the Tactical gets +10 to weapons/+5 to shields/+5 to aux as the Operations get a flat +5 to all, in separation the Tactical gets +20 to weapons/-5 to shields/- 5 to aux as the Operations gets +15 to weapons/-5 to shields/+5 to engines/-5 to aux ... I think extra 5 to weapons on a cruiser beats 5 to engines because of how engines currently work.