Captain
# 1 PVP "monsterplay" idea
02-08-2014, 09:53 AM
An idea i had lingering in the back of my head ever since i played "monsterplay" in LOTRO, was a similar PVP mode in STO.

The idea was resparked somehow, when i did the new feature episode with its premade ship, with premade items, abilities, etc...
imo, this would be a great concept for future PVP content that are oriented around "real" Star Trek events, like WOLF 359, Battle of chin'toka, and others, where Federation and allies fought different hostile species. Even Undine vs Borg would be possible.
Everybody has a small selection of completely equipped ships from both sides, instead of using his/her own ship.
Kind of eliminates the obvious balance issues current PVP has, which aren't gona be fixed anyway. In fact they get worse with each new lockbox.

Probably not so popular idea in regard to generating revenue, since the idea kind of eliminates the need for people to buy new shiny stuff to stay competitive in PVP, but it would certainly attract new people if they see that they can play as the main vilains from the franchise.

So what do you guys think, any additional ideas or critique?
Go pro or go home
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
02-08-2014, 10:18 AM
This is a good idea!

I always thought it'd be cool if you could have PvP where everyone just used a Lvl40 ship of choice, with the default gear and loadout, along with preset boff powers.

You could have some proper slugging matches that way, not just who has the best Crit rate
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We won't go back, you don't know what its like in our Universe, the original timeline had gone, JJ Abrahms is everywhere"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rylanadionysis View Post
just shut up
Empire Veteran
# 3
02-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I don't see that happening...ever.

You have 3 factions, 2 of which still need lots of work. There are a ton of bugs that need fixing.

If you haven't seen the extreme dislike of PVP by the vastly larger PvE community, then I suggest you take a look at one of the many threads where PvP players try to get PvE players to join up and PvP.

The only people who would be interested in such a thing are the small group of regular PvP players, and that group is very small compared to those who utterly despise PvP.

It would be a waste of resources that could be put to better use in FIXING PVP. PvP as a whole needs a great deal of work, and rebalancing. Cryptic has largely ignored PvP for a great while. There is so much that needs to be done before anything like this can be looked at.

Not to sound harsh, but that idea is not one that would work here.
Captain
# 4
02-08-2014, 06:02 PM
you seem to be confoluting "hate pvp" with "hate the sleazy behavior in pvp".

"lolol decloak multi-console one man skud lolol"
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz4tw View Post
can you say attack pattern angry forumers 3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by baelogventure View Post
Considering Ryan broke 25k in a NX, I expect he could easily pull 10k in an Escape Pod with a Hand Phaser.
Captain
# 5
02-08-2014, 06:25 PM
As someone who just recently started to PvP, it's no fun when you try it and get blown up to shreds instantly the same way over and over. In my case it was a2b FAW scimitars. It's pure luck I gave it a second chance with a whole fresh new toon.
Captain
# 6
02-08-2014, 06:26 PM
STO already had monster play for over three years. It was called the KDF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
So yes... you could get everything here for free.
Just like you can get a free steak dinner by collecting dropped pennies in the parking lot.
Empire Veteran
# 7
02-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skollulfr View Post
you seem to be confoluting "hate pvp" with "hate the sleazy behavior in pvp".

"lolol decloak multi-console one man skud lolol"
Nope.

Are you suggesting that the OP's suggestion will bring about a new age of fairplay and sportsman like conduct in PvP?
Captain
# 8
02-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abystander0 View Post
Nope.

Are you suggesting that the OP's suggestion will bring about a new age of fairplay and sportsman like conduct in PvP?
Frankly, yes. With default mod and boff loadout, you have no choice. Call me cynical, but your problem is you don't want the puggers to flock to these matches, leaving regular pvp matches with only premades. It would spell an end to the noob stump feast that is pvp currently - the reason overwhelming majority of player base ignore pvp.
Captain
# 9
02-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblet View Post
Frankly, yes. With default mod and boff loadout, you have no choice. Call me cynical, but your problem is you don't want the puggers to flock to these matches, leaving regular pvp matches with only premades. It would spell an end to the noob stump feast that is pvp currently - the reason overwhelming majority of player base ignore pvp.
Ha, that's pretty naive thinking about how all the sudden people will flock to PVP. I've played games where there was "Monster Play" and there is no sudden change in player participation from such a mode. There traditionally has always been a very sharp, very clear, very wide division between PVE and PVP players. That is fact, and "Monster Play" does not blur that line.

Cryptic's Development Philosophy for the KDF & PVP
Empire Veteran
# 10
02-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblet View Post
You are mistaken.

For one, I have no horse in the PvP race. I don't PvP any longer in STO. I have no desire to. That said, I don't mind that others do, and I think its a good thing that STO has PvP as a way to break the monotony of PvE. I support beneficial additions to PvP gameplay, so that those that enjoy it have fun too. More people engaging in PvP will help bolster the PvP cause, and encourage Cryptic to fix it. STO has room for everyone in my book.

Second, this will only change gear, not attitudes. Unpleasant people will still do unpleasant things, and try to make any pvp experience a bad one. People who hate pvp will not magically flock to the queues. The behavior will not change.

Third is the skill gap. This will do nothing to help players who have little or no experience in PvP. Inexperienced players will still get stomped, and gear won't change that. Only experience and knowledge of game mechanics will bridge that gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaker001b View Post
Ha, that's pretty naive thinking about how all the sudden people will flock to PVP. I've played games where there was "Monster Play" and there is no sudden change in player participation from such a mode. There traditionally has always been a very sharp, very clear, very wide division between PVE and PVP players. That is fact, and "Monster Play" does not blur that line.
This man understands.