Captain
Just wondering if my Exploration Cruiser Retrofit is still a competitive cruiser in PVP. Statistically, it's replaced by the Odyssey Operations Cruiser, but I never liked the size of that tub of bolts. I'd like to see if the old girl is still a viable choice for an Eng or Sci captain.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Captain
# 2
01-20-2013, 07:54 PM
If you're that worried about the difference between the Galaxy Retrofit and the Ops Odyssey, find someone who can get you to a Tier 4 Fleet Shipyard, and get the Fleet version. The Fleet Galaxy has the highest hull currently available (the Fleet Vo'Quv has/will have more, but I don't think anyone actually has it unlocked), the same 10 console layout as the Ops Ody, and the same Galaxy capabilities you're used to.

That said, 75-90% of the competence of a particular character is in the person in charge. The change from Galaxy-R to Ops Ody or Fleet Galaxy are marginal compared to the player's skill at getting the most out of what's available.
Captain
# 3
01-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoknight89 View Post
If you're that worried about the difference between the Galaxy Retrofit and the Ops Odyssey, find someone who can get you to a Tier 4 Fleet Shipyard, and get the Fleet version. The Fleet Galaxy has the highest hull currently available (the Fleet Vo'Quv has/will have more, but I don't think anyone actually has it unlocked), the same 10 console layout as the Ops Ody, and the same Galaxy capabilities you're used to.

That said, 75-90% of the competence of a particular character is in the person in charge. The change from Galaxy-R to Ops Ody or Fleet Galaxy are marginal compared to the player's skill at getting the most out of what's available.
Of course, but I'm finding as newer ships are released, that the older ones are falling behind, both in popularity and in abilities. The Fleet Galaxy is definitely worth investigating, however. I'll see if I can sneak aboard someone's tier IV starbase and buy a Fleet Galaxy.

And as someone who can withstand a couple minutes of focused fire from a PVPBC assistant coach, I feel my competency leaves little to be questioned (although there definitely is some room for improvement, like anything ).

Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Republic Veteran
# 4
01-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Hmm, sorry, but looks like the Galaxy-R is really superseded in every way by the other endgame cruisers (Excelsior, Oddy variants, Regent. The Fleet Galaxy, with the measly addition of one engineering console, does not fix these problems. Shame that this iconic ship has been so overlooked.
Captain
# 5
01-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Your Gal-R is outclassed in every way by the Fleet Excel. As much as I hate myself for saying this, pick up a Fleet Excel and kiss your Gal-R good-bye.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 6
01-21-2013, 05:22 AM
If you're going for PvP, you're out of luck, but then that game is always going to go to the people who either hyper-optimize to the last point on every character aspect, or those who can afford the most expensive toys (sometimes), or both at once.

I'd say it's still viable for PvE, though, if you care to go for it. That said, it's not going to be top of the line.

Note - I do not have a Gal-R, although I've thought about picking one up, as I love the Galaxy class, though it seems too limiting.
Captain
# 7
01-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Your Gal-R is outclassed in every way by the Fleet Excel. As much as I hate myself for saying this, pick up a Fleet Excel and kiss your Gal-R good-bye.
Which brings up another question, is it worth getting the Excelsior Retrofit if I plan to outfit all my characters with the Fleet Excelsior in the future?

Captain
# 8
01-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardestroyer001 View Post
Which brings up another question, is it worth getting the Excelsior Retrofit if I plan to outfit all my characters with the Fleet Excelsior in the future?
Unlike most fleet ships, the Fleet Excelsior breaks even on the first ship if you get the T5 C-Store version first, since it costs 5 modules normally (2500 Zen), but is discounted to 1 when you have the Excelsior Retrofit (500 Zen + 2000 Zen for the Retrofit). So, yes. It is very much worth it. (All other fleet ships only show savings starting with the second character)
Captain
# 9
01-21-2013, 05:02 PM
I see. And would it be a better cruiser in endgame for out-tanking and damage than the other cruisers I have?

(My cruisers: Expl. Cruiser Retro, Dreadnought
If you count the Vestas as viable tankers, then I also have the bundle)

Captain
# 10
01-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardestroyer001 View Post
I see. And would it be a better cruiser in endgame for out-tanking and damage than the other cruisers I have?

(My cruisers: Expl. Cruiser Retro, Dreadnought
If you count the Vestas as viable tankers, then I also have the bundle)
With what you currently have, yes. What is available? No. The Imperial still vastly out-strips the Excel in damage output, but loses out in tankiness.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.