Rihannsu
# 21
01-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Perhaps you aren't understanding why the Tricobalt Mines received a nerf that they received. And even this nerf was so small it's hardly noticeable..

Because of the Bug.. where if one effect causes a crit, all the rest of the effects associated with the original effect Crits..

This effected Dispersal Pattern Beta. Which ment If just ONE of the mines from a Dispersal Pattern Crit. The entire pattern crit.

What that in turn did was turn Tricobalts into something that was not intended.

Now after the patch, the Tricobalt was not Nerfed as bad to where even the word Nerf doesn't fit. It was toned down, or tweeked. Because honestly they still do MASSIVE damage compared to other weapons. And can still Crit for silly damage as well. Just not quite as bad as before. But still enough. Trust me.

Don't want to trust or believe a word I'm saying? Fly a Tactical officer in a B'rel-Retrofit (or Fleet Retrofit) with the Enhanced Battle Cloak and flutter around Ker'rat with an All Torp + Tric Mine build. See for your self.
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
Career Officer
# 22
01-19-2013, 12:45 AM
I test flew my Chimera tricobalt minelayer w/ DPB 3; it is still ok but it was not what it "customized" to be. It can still contribute to the STF runs but not satisfying. The reason that I used a minelayer ship was because I didn't want to use cannons. I am going back to ground battle after one month of absence. I will join you in space occasionally with my other ship; a defiant with antiproton dhcs.
-- Vice Admiral's log, stardate 57134.2
... I began to panic and asked my human companion of the meaning of toon. He replied that it was something that was not real. I protested to him that I was walking and running and killing. What did he mean that I was not real? He replied that everyone knew the universe was a computer simulation. Occasionally, he had to accompany another toon too.
Captain
# 23
01-19-2013, 05:55 AM
For me the trick with the tric is gone. I have the B'Rel with enhanced battle cloak and I blew up Borg Cubes in that Klingon, defend the Empire, mission. With one run, mines placed well just right under the cube, it went boom. That was the case with 5 out of 6. Now it happens just 1 out of 6. Also, since the Cubes seems to be on alert after the first hit (good AI) you need 2 or 3 runs, with a one minute cooldown. That is no longer effective.

My set up was Tricobalt mines , blue, mk XI, pattern B2, on normal level. Just a set up out of the box. Like I said, with the long cooldown, there is just no fun in waiting it out to make your second or third run.

A second mine unit might a solution, but the Cube will often fire a heavy plasma after you, so I like to have a torpedo launcher in the aft.

It looks to me that the real nerf (in my scenario), is in the fact that the cube can see them sooner, before they are activated. They are sometime all shot down and in most cases one or two, which is enough to survive.

However I found out that plasma mines do remarkable well. The DoT seems to tick pretty well. I can get cubes out with two runs. The advantage is that you can keep going, there is hardly any down time because of cooldowns.

Another thing. Blowing those Cubes up with trics was awsome fun and very profitable. They dropped mostly two items, often a green MK X or XI sometimes a blue. That is gone to. After the patch I did several missions (KDF, defend the empire - Borg invasion), there are hardly any drops. Is this intended?
Career Officer
# 24
01-19-2013, 06:08 AM
I'm quite happy with the changes, it will make PvP better and stops the 1 shotting of trannys and the like. In my Galor Engineer I have 2 Tric mines with DSPB2 and aux to bat, so I drop them every 30 sec. I noticed they don't do as much damage but by a long way they still do the most damage. Our fleet ran ISE in 9min 12 sec last night in no small part due to Trics.

Seems fine to me, oh and there was a long discussion post started by Bort IIRC for players to make their opinions and suggestions.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Captain
# 25
01-19-2013, 06:45 AM
I regularly PvP and PvE and can vouch that tricobalt hasn't been nerfed enough.

How can you tell that something is OP? Replace one type of the same thing with another. Remove tricobalt and replace it with chroniton, or transphasics, plasma, quantum, or photon of the same mark and modifiers. How much of a performance difference do you see? Replace a DHC/beam/turret of one energy type and replace with another energy type. How much of a difference do you see? That is right, tricobalts are still wayyyyy more OP than they should be. I would know, because I still regularly use them in ESTFs.

Beside, 2x mines equipped brings your overall cooldown to 30 sec, which is the same as DBP cooldown. There is absolutely no room to cry about long cooldown.
Ensign
# 26 inevitable
01-19-2013, 11:34 AM
ah had to happen somone always complains that the kid over the roads toy is better, in mmo world the easy solution is to go break the offending toy

never a fan of nurfs, any of my ships that dont pack aceton asimilators have warp plasma, some have both most run pets or are beam fire at will boats, i think ive died in pvp about 4x to tricobalts since dispersal was changed to effect them. that was only from lucky spike hits should be safe from them now lol.

but ever since they nurfed hy tricobalt torps this was on cards unfortunately, u cant just nurf 1 thing u have to nurf everythig to keep it fair, cause once youve broken the kid over the fences toy...

the cycle continues
Captain
# 27
01-19-2013, 04:08 PM
are... are people actually complaining that they can't one shot things anymore O_o....

seriously?

...seriously!?

-sighs-
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Rihannsu
# 28
01-19-2013, 07:47 PM
YEah, tric bombing cubes is still quite effective....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 29
01-19-2013, 11:13 PM
The change to damage is not a problem. It actually is better due to more consistent damage based on your build. Im actually doing more consistent damage with them than before.

...the REAL nerf is to the stealth status. This is a huge problem because in PVE it makes NPC's automatically trigger AOE beams (it didnt do this before) so if you drop mines they are instantly taken out.

If you drop them outside the 2km detect range they have now and hope they fly into them.... the AI will again, insta AOE-beam them when the mines come into detect range.

The only way to make a mine drop work now is to saturate the AI with other things it can shoot at that triggers their auto-beam fire at will attacks...

and that means dropping a breen cluster on them (12 mines) while the tricobalts home in....and even then its damn hard to get a tric hit.

They simply need to reverse the stealth detection nerf and keep the damage nerf.
http://media.tumblr.com/160cacdb395f8340dac90864182ebe16/tumblr_inline_mx9yxhItkb1qg9pkt.jpg
Empire Veteran
# 30
01-20-2013, 01:15 AM
About the stealth thing. I found an interestingly good combo if you use HG/Adapted MACO space set. Namely the MEF ability it has. It cloaks all your mines really well, at the cost of preventing another cloak from working at the same time.

It's only once every 3 minutes and all that, but it is effective. And if it cloaks other stuff, like your allies and such, all the better.

Closed Thread