Ensign
I am level 50 KDF science and our fleet is close to tier 3 shipyard. I was flying all types of ships, but the only one oriented toward science was Kar'fi carrier. Now i have more possible "science" ship options, so it is hard to pick one :-) I want to go mainly for controls with possibility to energy draining and partially heal. Possibilities:

1) Fleet varanus: I think the most science oriented ship available to KDF. Definitely using beams or DBBs to get the most of the innate subsystem targeting. Sensor analysis is a nice bonus. Going for GW3, TR, some heals and shield heals etc.

2) Fleet corsair: Half Eng half Sci, 2 more weapon slots + hangar bay against Fleet Varanus, but no subystem targeting, no sensor analysis, no repair platforms. Single beams or Single cannons + turrets build. CC abilities from sicence (GW etc.) + CC abilities from ENG (EWP) is a nice synergy too.

3) KDF Temporal science vessel from exchange: More EC grinding, cause it is much more expensive than 4 fleet ship modules

4) Tholian Orb Weaver: same note as 3)

5) Recluse carrier: Very versatile carrier with 2 hangar bays, strong shields, innate subsystem targeting and sensor analysis. Probably phased tetryon beams, CC abilities, AP:B for pets

That is probably my full list. I don't like Vo'quv, so that is why it is not on the list. I read some topics about some ships with less tactical consoles/BO layout are worthless in elite stfs, but I personaly do not believe that. For heavy science ship i think if you pop up GW + TR (after cd) + AP:B + sensor scan + some of your own firepower with Aux maxed, you could make some nice DPS too, cause most of that bypasing shields.

So i would be grateful for any opinion / advice anyone write here, what do you choose or what would you choose and why or what is better ship and what worse in your opinion :-)
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-19-2013, 10:19 AM
I recommend the Korath, Temporal Science Vessel.

It has a great potential for healing/annoying and control. I use one on my main Sci character, and it has yet to disappoint me.
Captain
# 3
01-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Voquv or Karfi can do all the sci abilities you need, plus packs more of a punch to be useful in elite STFs.
Empire Veteran
# 4
01-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Vo'kov.. all the science goodies and mucking big shi, but has its limitations
Kar'fi definatly a more tactical feel... and hey whats not to love about a Lt.C TAC slot
temporal sci: Definatly king of the beasts here, so if you can swing get it. Now bear in mind there are other choices. In any ship you take your going to to want to look for rimarily SCience and Engineering slots as a SCI..SCi Boff slots are your "special effects" such as gravity well etc, but dont discount engineering boffs.. droping the old nasty plasma train does wonders for the other sides being overly manuverable.. even if it only make them change course to avoid it.

No matter what shi you select your going to want to likely respec do get the most use out of it.
My SCI captain flies a Fleet K't'inga refit instead of a pure science ship and in all other ways goes in swinging. I use my inherent sci captain abilities to enhance my offence, and keep my ship alive.

If you go with a pure sci ship resec to JUST beam weps/energy we accuracy/ damage/energy use. Save the points you would have put into torps to enhance your sci boff powers so your gravaty wells / Tacyons rift last longer and have stronger effects..

Balance ship energy to give you a little more Aux power for the same. Its not just the ship.. Its the synergy between skill tree & layer powers/BOFF's/DOFF's/weapons and systems, and then the ship.

Most importantly don't try to be a Feddy SCI flying KDF. We only have the Gorn ships you can do that with (if for no other reason that its silly easy) Your KDF.. take the road less traveled because your KDF and you CAN.

And if you truely want to mess with people.. get the B'rell retrofit and just load her up with SCI BOFFS. You may never actually fire a shot in combat, but boy oh boy will you be able to do sci stuff! *grin*
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!
Captain
# 5
01-19-2013, 11:50 AM
If you have a lot of skillpoints in Flow Capacitors, I would recommend an Orb Weaver, the Thermionic Torpedo coupled with High Yield and a couple Flow Capacitor Consoles, and a Plasmonic Leech. Your power levels will always be nice and high, any enemies you hit (or splash) with the HY torpedoes will stop dead in their tracks (engines and weapons offline), and you have a Lt. Com tactical, which gives you great options in terms of firepower output. Aside from the Fleet Nova, I like it more than any other science vessel in the game.

Or, get a Recluse, and enjoy the combination of science powers, solid tank, and good DPS, as well as the ability to specialize like no other ship in the game.
Ensign
# 6
01-19-2013, 03:43 PM
I Have 9/9 in Flow capacitor and have points in graviton generators and particle generators too since i was flying Kar'fi carrier, but i have also mostly 6/9 point in attack and eng skill tree (and few of the crucial on 9/9) cause having another skill 6/9 give you more then last 3 points in 2 another skills.

Recluse as highly customizable carrier has advantage that you can switch its specialization, so it will be a long term guarranted fun to play

I take a look at korath time vessel and it looks interesting too. There are some nice possible builds with it.

I will probably pass Fleet Corsair as it seems that one is not much suited to my SCI and if i go for pets, Recluse seems like much better pick.

Edit: I just checked Exchange and find out that Tholian Orb Weaver is the cheapest sci ship from exchange. Cost only about 35M EC, while Recluse and Korath/Wells are 50M EC and more. Is that because people want Recluse and Korath/Wells more often than the weaver, or it is just that there was opened to much tholian lockboxes with Weavers and their price drop?

Last edited by lister1987; 01-20-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Captain
# 7
01-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lister1987 View Post
I Have 9/9 in Flow capacitor and have points in graviton generators and particle generators too since i was flying Kar'fi carrier, but i have also mostly 6/9 point in attack and eng skill tree (and few of the crucial on 9/9) cause having another skill 6/9 give you more then last 3 points in 2 another skills.

Recluse as highly customizable carrier has advantage that you can switch its specialization, so it will be a long term guarranted fun to play

I take a look at korath time vessel and it looks interesting too. There are some nice possible builds with it.

I will probably pass Fleet Corsair as it seems that one is not much suited to my SCI and if i go for pets, Recluse seems like much better pick.

Edit: I just checked Exchange and find out that Tholian Orb Weaver is the cheapest sci ship from exchange. Cost only about 35M EC, while Recluse and Korath/Wells are 50M EC and more. Is that because people want Recluse and Korath/Wells more often than the weaver, or it is just that there was opened to much tholian lockboxes with Weavers and their price drop?
I don't know, but I broke out my Orbie again tonight, and learned something new and fun to do when encountering a group of baddies. Also, I had the web crit and do almost 20k damage to a Negh'Var and a Vor'Cha. Good times.

Step 1: Gravity Well 3
Step 2: Heavy Disruption Torpedo (or Thermionic Spread 3 if range is preferred)
Step 3: Scramble Sensors 3
Step 4: Tholian Web
Step 5: Watch as they waste their time shooting each other with what little weapon power they have left, while the gravity well slowly crushes them; feel free to use Beam: Fire at Will to poke them some more on their way down. They also have no engine power whatsoever, and cannot leave the very center of the gravity well; any splash you do to them will hit the whole group. Then, for the coup de grace, the web does 10k or so damage to each of them. Only the largest ships sometimes survive this, depending on how hard the web hits them.

You can do some seriously Machiavellian stuff with this ship. I actually bought one for my Fed science guy as well, since I have so much fun with it.

Here's a breakdown of the differences between the Wells/Korath and the Orbie:

1. The Orbie has almost 500% of the crew compliment of the Korath.
2. The Orbie comes with the Thermionic Torpedo and Web Generator, whereas the Korath comes with the Tippler Cylinder.
3. The Orbie looks cooler.
4. The Orbie's bridge is way cooler.
5. The Orbie's base turn rate is about half that of the Korath.
6. The Korath is more versatile, due to having more universal slots.
7. The Korath's shield modifier is 1.45, as opposed to 1.4 on the Orbie.

I have both, and the Tippler Cylinder is not my thing; the Thermionic Torpedo, on the other hand, is VERY useful. The Web Generator is also useful, if used in the right situations; it's something I keep in my inventory, and swap in and out as the situation demands. It's great when dealing with enemies whose sensors are scrambled, or with the BoPs/Probes in STF's.

I hope this helps.
Ensign
# 8
01-20-2013, 01:13 AM
Yea actually it helps a lot. Thank you really :-) Orbie has maybe a slower turn rate, and a little bit smaller shield (but 1.4 and 1.45 is not that much difference) but better "special" items on it, that makes up for those two downsides. And since Orbie is about 15M EC cheaper than a Korath, It is valid criterium too.

So now i am oriented more toward the Orbie from that two ships. Recluse is quite expensive in Exchange and i do not have 800 lobi for that, not even close. So the orbie is a favorite ship even against Recluse for me.

So it is about orbie for 35M EC vs Fleet Varanus for about 20M EC (4 ship modules), but when i earn 20M EC for 4 Fleet modules, it is not that hard to make a 35 with them in Exchangein a little time.
Captain
# 9
01-20-2013, 02:36 AM
I've seen some Orb Weavers pop at around 30 million on the exchange, so if you take some time in browsing it, you'll find quite a bit cheaper than your 35 million estimate.

What I can tell you is that the Varanus (the C-store one) is pretty much your typical science ship as Feds have them, only with less shields and not the most manoeuvrable. Fine for debuffing, crowd control, just like any sci ship. Just probably nothing ..."exciting".

The Orb, on the other hand, can function in very much the same way, but also offers you the possibility of a Lt. Comm Tac, brings two potentially fun to use goodies (depends on personnal preferences) and also has one very interesting advantage:

The Orb Weaver comes with one Commander and TWO Lt. Commanders, one of which is universal. Only carriers and the Fleet Norgh BoP have a similar setup.

You can actually use any existing boff ability on this ship when sloting a tac in the uni slot.

(Plus the Orb looks sort of cool. )
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Add Tier 6 staple KDF ship types: Carrier and Bird of prey.
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Captain
# 10
01-20-2013, 02:36 AM
Everyone goes for the expensive stuff, yet no mention of the plain old BoP? Set the Commander and one other boff station science, one tac, and one eng, you get a damn fast ship with DHC mounts, battle cloak, and a full suite of sci abilities. If anything the incredible speed and lets you lay down science abilities exactly where and when you need and still have your heavy fore weapons on target. The only shortcoming (from a sci point of view) is the lack of a bonus to aux power, but nothing stopping you from jacking the power up manually to compensate. Its never gonna shield tank like a fed sci ship, but with better speed and offense it can be a nice agressive (and appropriately Klingon) tradeoff. Works well with the Borg 3-piece set too (if you already have it), since the low shield modifier loses the least from the low-capacity Borg shield and all the healing bonuses help make up for the BoP's fragility. Its a fun setup.