Lt. Commander
# 1 The Best MMO
01-15-2013, 07:44 AM
In my opinion.

I know this thread isn't at all constructive...but I feel the need to give my thanks.

This is easily the best MMO I've ever played...and this is coming from someone who wasn't even a Star Trek fan before playing the game.

The mix of space and ground combat is great...and makes it so that you (I) never get bored of either.

The ability to create your own crew. This is by far...one of the best feature of the game.

The Doff system. It's something that I am not always completely focused on while playing actual missions...but it's just another piece to a great game. Being able to start up a nice list of missions right when I log in and/or before loggin out for the night for extra rewards is definitely nice. The rewards isn't even the best part...I really like the involvement of your Bridge Officers. Sure it's something off-hand...but I like being able to set up your department heads.

There is just so much involved to keep my interest.

In short...thank you for what is definitely my favorite MMO.

Last edited by cdrgadley; 01-15-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
01-15-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm glad you're enjoying the game cdrgadley, and hope you continue to do so despite what some people may say later on in this thread.
Member since November 2009... I think.
(UFP) Ragnarök Fleet - Logistics Division Vice Admiral T'Phira; Captain Selena; Captain Altecha; Captain K'Kera; Lieutenant Aydihe Tefx; Subcommander S'ena
(KDF) Lieutenant General Vokno (aka Lady Vokno); Lieutenant General Raylene
Lieutenant
# 3
01-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrgadley View Post
This is easily the best MMO I've ever played...
I would like to bring your MMO repertoire to examination...and possibly your mental sanity onto question.

But, for sake of debate, I shall contest that you have not brought forth a single convincing argument as to what set this MMO apart from other MMOs (which you may or may not have played) as to warrant its crowning as the best MMO ever.

You say it is the best MMO, I say to you: In what manner?
Does it has the best combat? The best graphics? The best gameplay? The most interesting lore? The highest quality of code execution? (hello memory leaks and incessant intermittent crashes) The best of customer support? (there is any?)

As follows, you may see that all your points are all hollow and that you have failed to present any substantial merits as to what distinguishes STO to deserve such praise.

Quote:
The mix of space and ground combat is great...
It is a nice perk, but nothing that is new, to be honest.

Quote:
and makes it so that you (I) never get bored of either.
That statement is very false. A mix of ground and space (or different combat modes/features) is not the recepie for preventing bordom of a game. That has been proven.
The methodology required for a non-bordom is creating a gameplay which pace is flowing and repetitive without feeling stressful, imposed or treadmilling rather interesting and wanting.

Quote:
The ability to create your own crew. This is by far...one of the best feature of the game.
And by far the most lacking and minimalistic one.
The customization of crew is quite basic - namely, mainly, clothing and some actionable "skills". Beyond that you have very limited or no control over them at all.
You can "promote" them, but that is a very empty gesture which serves no true function and could've been removed from the game all the same without the least bit of impact.
Nor can you demote them, or do with them anything beyond some minimalistic Small Unit Tactics in some ground missions.
Beyond that they are of zero use and in the end game there are indeed of nill use.

Quote:
The Doff system.
It is a nice card trading game. And a Dilithium money-sink mechanic. But not much more than that.

Quote:
I really like the involvement of your Bridge Officers. Sure it's something off-hand...but I like being able to set up your department heads.
Again, a highly superficial feature.

In summary, STO is a decent game with a fine promising core that was never fleshed out (and probably never will).
What is available, while largely broken, is catering nicely to a niche that is otherwise unavailable (also, Star Trek; Enterprise; Klingons; yada-yada we love that ****).
But the best MMO? It is not.
And to tell the truth, if I wasn't burnt out on fantasy/D&D I'd probably be elsewhere.
Also, I've got a fleet to run, invested (so to speak) lots of money in STO, got a few friends still play that I like seeing and talking to, so...yeah, I'm somewhat rooted until they shutdown (although StarCitizen is likely to steal me away heavily, already dropped a nice $grand in the kickstart).

# 4
01-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriklein View Post
snip
I guess you skipped over my very first line where I said "In my opinion".

Last edited by cdrgadley; 01-15-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Captain
# 5
01-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Quote:
But, for sake of debate, I shall contest that you have not brought forth a single convincing argument as to what set this MMO apart from other MMOs
Since when does an opinion require proof or even a convincing argument?
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
01-15-2013, 08:33 AM
I'll have to admit that I thoroughly enjoy the space combat aspect of this game, though coming from a first person shooter background, I don't care for ground combat's auto-aim mechanics and lack of incentive to use first-person aim mode.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
01-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptvanor View Post
Since when does an opinion require proof or even a convincing argument?

Since the OP threat title was "Best MMO Ever". I do not see "IN my opinion, Best MMO Ever" there in there title sir.

This is easily not the best MMO ever, especially imo. lol
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by natejam101 View Post
Since the OP threat title was "Best MMO Ever". I do not see "IN my opinion, Best MMO Ever" there in there title sir.
My apologies...I thought that my very first line of the thread saying "In my opinion" would be enough for people to understand that this thread is all about my opinion.

I would change the title if I could.

Last edited by cdrgadley; 01-15-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Career Officer
# 9
01-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Quote:
... I shall contest that you have not brought forth a single convincing argument as to what set this MMO apart from other MMOs (which you may or may not have played) as to warrant its crowning as the best MMO ever...
So , yeah , Dude did say it was his OPINION.

HIS opinion.

Also noted that he knew it wasn't constructive, just wanted to say a nice thing or two.

Honestly, did you just come in the thread to be disagreeable ?

And hey , Commader Gadley. I couldn't agree with you more.
Not just your opinion.
I am sure that many others share it.

My favorite MMO as well.

Good Luck out in space.
Captain
# 10
01-15-2013, 08:41 AM
I agree.

And I've played WoW, Everquest I&II, Saga of Ryzom, Vanguard, Horizons, Asheron's Call, EVE Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, The Secret World, Guild Wars 1&2 (GW1 may not count as a mmo), Rift, Star Wars: Galaxies, Knights of the Old Republic, and probably a few I'm forgetting.

I like STO best because of Foundry, the graphics, ship combat, the way gameplay meshes with the style of Star Trek, and the diversity of things to do.

It could use big improvements, but I'm saying 'best,' not 'perfect.'