Lieutenant
# 1 Best Cruiser for a Tac.
01-19-2013, 09:29 AM
So i'm looking to upgrade my ship. I've been running an Assault Cruiser for awhile now and thought its time for an upgrade.

So far I've heard either the Excelsior Retrofit or the Assault Cruiser Retrofit. However, I don't really know which would be better. Anyone have any idea on which would be better fit?

I have also heard that there will be new ships released in a month or 2 that would make both those cruisers obsolete. That has made me re-think if I should even buy a new cruiser now, or wait and hope the new ones are better.

So what do you guys think? Should I get an Excelsior or Assault? And if I should, which one and why?
And if I shouldn't get one, and I should wait, do you guys know what ships will be released or at least maybe have an idea of what we will be able get access to?

Thanks for the help in advance.
"The Easiest Day, was Yesterday"
Career Officer
# 2
01-19-2013, 10:22 AM
The fleet excelsior is great for a tac as well as the regent or the tac odyssey. I would personally wait until the final stats of the ambassador class comes out which will be soon.
Career Officer
# 3
01-19-2013, 10:26 AM
The Breen cruiser is actually epic as well...
Empire Veteran
# 4
01-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Well, we won't truly know for awhile what the new ship are going to be, so until then, can't really say one way or the other about it.

That aside...

Yes, the Excelsior is an excellent tac-heavy cruiser. It's got the best base turn rate of any Fed cruiser, making it much easier to move around, and even realistically use a single cannon/turret build (I use it).

The Regent is also a great cruiser. Lt. Cmdr and Lt. tac slots give you a lot of possibilities. When I used to fly it, I ran it as a beam boat with double FAW 2, double TT 1, and an APB 2.

The Gal-X is fun, but it really lacks in two areas: Turn, and tac BOFFs. It can use DHCs, but a lack of good, constant turn isn't always easy to deal with.

Normal Assault Cruiser can still be good if nothing else, just because it can help you get used to a Fed cruiser with a slightly heavier tac layout.

In terms of lockbox ships...

Galor is great, has an awesome base turn, comes with the Spiral Wave Disruptors (and allows you to buy more of them). Slightly more science intensive than the D'kora below, but an excellent ship. Can make good use of a single-cannon/turret build like the Excelsior.

The D'kora is probably my favorite lockbox ship. Good turn rate (can be boosted by the console that comes with it), Lt. Cmdr and Ensign tac slots, can use DHCs (and make them work well). Doesn't have quite the tac-heaviness as like the Regent, but still very impressive and able to hold it's own.

Career Officer
# 5
01-19-2013, 10:43 AM
arguably the Fleet Excelsior and likely once one gets a Tier 5 Fleet, the Fleet Assault Cruiser are both probably the best Tactical Cruisers. The Fleet Assault Cruiser in particular due to the bridge officer layout being identical to the Regent and it having 4x Tactical Consoles makes it probably the most viable as a Tactical Cruiser. The only problem with the Assault Cruiser is that it has a poor turn rate (in comparison to the Excelsior). However it is still a superior turn rate in comparison to the Odyssey and the Galaxy-X.
# 6
01-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalgo View Post
The fleet excelsior is great for a tac as well as the regent or the tac odyssey. I would personally wait until the final stats of the ambassador class comes out which will be soon.
I agree, I would wait till the Ambassador stats are released before I make a final decision on cruiser.
Commander
# 7
01-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainamericax View Post
So i'm looking to upgrade my ship. I've been running an Assault Cruiser for awhile now and thought its time for an upgrade.

So far I've heard either the Excelsior Retrofit or the Assault Cruiser Retrofit. However, I don't really know which would be better. Anyone have any idea on which would be better fit?

I have also heard that there will be new ships released in a month or 2 that would make both those cruisers obsolete. That has made me re-think if I should even buy a new cruiser now, or wait and hope the new ones are better.

So what do you guys think? Should I get an Excelsior or Assault? And if I should, which one and why?
And if I shouldn't get one, and I should wait, do you guys know what ships will be released or at least maybe have an idea of what we will be able get access to?

Thanks for the help in advance.
The two best offensive cruisers fedside atm are the Regent and Excelsior. The Regent has a great bridge layout and the wide angle torpedo launcher is great because it will enable you to fire at targets during your broadside. The Excelsior also had a decent bridge layout with a LTCmder tac station which allows you access to some nice tac skills and it is the most maneuverable of the cruisers fedside which makes it A LOT more fun to fly. The Excelsiors maneuverability and LtCmd tac slot also makes it one of the only cannon viable cruisers. It also has the transwarp drive, which obviously doesn't help combat wise, but is nice for getting around the map. If you are interested in the fleet upgrades the fleet Excelsior is available at Tier 3 shipyard and has 4 tac consoles which helps it put out some good dps numbers. The fleet assault cruiser also has 4 tac console slots, but isn't available till tier 5 so unless you belong to a great fleet that ship is probably out of reach for the time being.

U.S.S. Mary Celeste
Career Officer
# 8
01-19-2013, 02:51 PM
good things come to those who wait, but greater things come to those who take.

Tjae a crack at one of these ships at anytime to get the handling down and refine yout skill as a captain for them and then when the better ships come out make the switch. It will be far easier then a transfer from any other ship type, hell you might find you like these ships more then those.

I hope they make my crazy epix ambassador though lol 500 smackaroos for it and i will pay asap
Career Officer
# 9
01-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Used the Regent for a while. Good ship. Looked at getting the Tier III Excel but just left the fleet and well, so much for that. Noticed only one tact cmdr slot though, rest mainly engineers. As a tact capt. I'd prefer more tact slots.

Honestly, Breen ship has been an amazing ship. Great turn rate, several universal slots and good tact capabilities. Tough ship too! Pointless saying this though if you dont already have it.

Would try out the fleet Excel if I were you, and if anybody would be kind enough to invite me their fleet so I can get one, Id be much obliged! Lol
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Lieutenant
# 10
01-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

I may wait after hearing about the Ambassador, but i'm only worried that it's going to be another Odyssey repeat. And that was a major disappointment in my opinion. I also saw the Fleet variants and was interested in getting one, but the work and cost to get one would take awhile for me since I basically just starting playing again recently from a 9 month break.
"The Easiest Day, was Yesterday"