Career Officer
# 1 Polarize Hull ineffective?
11-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Has anyone tried out the skill polarize hull very recently? I acquired a science officer with the skill. When I encountered the Romulan warbird with the tractor beam, I tried to break free with Polarize Hull. But, it had no effect at all. So, I tried it with the Borg Cube in Cure Elite. Graphically, it looked like it was breaking off but a split second later it was caught hold again. There are other way to get away from the tractor beam but I was hoping that Polarize Hull would help me.
-- Vice Admiral's log, stardate 57134.2
... I began to panic and asked my human companion of the meaning of toon. He replied that it was something that was not real. I protested to him that I was walking and running and killing. What did he mean that I was not real? He replied that everyone knew the universe was a computer simulation. Occasionally, he had to accompany another toon too.
Captain
# 2
11-12-2012, 05:13 PM
It works fine for me. Maybe you don't have enough Boff skill points invested in it yet.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Career Officer
# 3
11-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks. I will check on it.

Edit: The boff had 7 points on the skill. I wonder what I did wrong. More testing later.
... I began to panic and asked my human companion of the meaning of toon. He replied that it was something that was not real. I protested to him that I was walking and running and killing. What did he mean that I was not real? He replied that everyone knew the universe was a computer simulation. Occasionally, he had to accompany another toon too.

Last edited by tostrek2012; 11-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Captain
# 4
11-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I've noticed that polarize hull doesn't always work to break free of tractor beams even though in the tool-tip it says it offers immunity to them. I've stopped using polarize hull because it only seemed to work maybe 60% of the time, and then when it did work, it didn't offer full immunity as I would still be slowed by the tractor beam.
Career Officer
# 5
11-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks. I think you are right. It worked twice for me during the testing. But, I was blown to pieces by heavy plasma on other occasion.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
11-12-2012, 07:55 PM
I don't know if this is a bug, but poralize hull had never worked against Borg tratctor beams, at least not for me. However it always gave me the inmunity against everything else
In every time,
in every place,
the deeds of men
remain the same...
Captain
# 7
11-13-2012, 12:09 AM
There probably is some hidden atribute that compares the strenght of tractor beam to strenght of your polarize hull + your resistances.

tooltips matter little in STO, as a lot of them are wrong and relics of the past.

For me, polarized hull works against borg tractors, but I have 6/9 in inertial dampeners.
Career Officer
# 8
11-13-2012, 12:11 AM
What other power are there to break tractor beams? I wouldn't mind getting rid of PH if I could.
A contract is a contract...(but only between Ferengi).
Captain
# 9
11-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstarswe View Post
What other power are there to break tractor beams? I wouldn't mind getting rid of PH if I could.
Attack Pattern Omega. Seriously PH is a good power against tractors, and especially tractor beam repulsors.
Republic Veteran
# 10
11-13-2012, 02:03 AM
another thing is the more tractor beams on you, the harder it is for you to break. so if a romulan hits you with a couple of those cloaking tractor mines along with their own tractor beam, Polarize hull wont do squat, APO however will.

Polarize hull however isnt just about breaking tractor beams so its not completely useless. remember it gives resistances. Polarize hull + brace for impact will lower your damage from straight to hull torp shots a lot.

also, higher versions of Polarize hull are likely more efficient at tractor breaking and such.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.