Survivor of Romulus
# 1 FPS Lag spikes
01-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Hi, title pretty well explains it. I am getting a rather regular FPS lag spike, it does however seem to be object dependant. The more objects the more often I recieve 4 FPS. It is so bad now that I get this unique form of UI lag every 25 seconds or so in the Sol system.

Now, I used to not have this issue, in fact it is a rather recent occurance, getting progressivly worse with each update. I use an AMD CPU on a rather cheap laptop, as my Desktop can't play the game at all despite having way more then the recomended specifications. However it is AMD as well and I am beginning to wonder if there is some kind of compatability issue at work here.

Please note that I watch the lag spikes with FPSGraph 1, and I can see that it is not a seperate process on my computer, in fact I can watch the Game Client eat my CPU, from a regular 60% all the way to 99%...

Please help, is there a setting or is this a compatiblitiy issue which will prevent me from playing the game now?

Update, a new symptom has appeared, not only are the lag spikes much more common with a Plasma Proc in effect, they seem to dedicate to it.

However, if I open the Main Menu while in game, I will go from 2-3 FPS, to 56 FPS. Then when I close the Menu, I lag again. Is my computer hungry, or is there a way to nerf the UI?

Last edited by vegie0; 01-20-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
01-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Try using the reduce CPU/GPU usage setting in the troubleshooting section of the video options screen.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
01-20-2013, 02:58 AM
I am afraid that does not help my issue, all setting changes seem to fail, even the trouble shooting ones. The lag is looking less like a memory leak, and more like poor executables in the code. Since I seem not to eat up memory, but only to increase CPU usage.

So at this point unless somebody knows of some patch I believe I am now unable to play this game. Which is unfortunate, as I rather enjoyed it. :'(
Career Officer
# 4
01-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Good luck with that issue. This game has a large collection of problems that are in no way any priority for them to resolve. If they were, they wouldn't be allowed to get pushed to Holodeck from test builds where they were reported heavily on Tribble. I definitely agree that the game code is the problem because I'm sure you can play much more graphic and CPU intensive games on both of your systems without issues.
Career Officer
# 5
01-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegie0 View Post
Now, I used to not have this issue, in fact it is a rather recent occurance, getting progressivly worse with each update. I use an AMD CPU on a rather cheap laptop, as my Desktop can't play the game at all despite having way more then the recomended specifications. However it is AMD as well and I am beginning to wonder if there is some kind of compatability issue at work here.
Unless you've purchased a laptop specifically made for gaming, most laptops systems are only marginal in graphics performance. Integrated AMD video is superior to Intel, but even then, you can't expect miracles...

What Screen Resolution are you currently running on the STO Client? And have you tried using a lower screen resolution, such as 1200 X 800 ???
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
01-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Well I can tell you the issue is something from the Game's UI pulling a large amount of data. It litterally kills my CPU befor my GPU, so this is a coding/UI issue. This is further supported by the fact that hitting the Esc key and opening the Game's Main Menu will stop all lag. It is a miracle that seems to stop the lag dead in its tracks. However I must remain with the menu open to continue the fix. The only thing that seems affected by this is the UI, since it removes it all from my screen. So in Star Trek terms, Logic says that if the issue is not constant (it comes in pulses), and the issue is alleviated by removing certin in game elements, the issue is with some game code, not with the computer I am using.

Something is bugged, something that pulls an enourmous amount of my computer's resources. It clearly seems attached to my UI, and turning off large amounts of the UI seems to help add time to the interval of lag.

So this is not a problem with my Computer, it is the Game's code.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
01-20-2013, 05:33 PM
yeah I agree with you there...ever since the (1/10) patch I've had FPS spikes like crazy and the only way it stops it seems is having the game menu open.

Im running an AMD Radehon HD 6450 and before the 1/10 patch, i didnt get this kind of fps spikes, especially after i grabbed the latest beta drivers off the site....so it now seems its not a probably on my end but a problem on Cryptic's end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Career Officer
# 8
01-20-2013, 06:44 PM
I just started having weird lag spikes today. Strange.
Career Officer
# 9
01-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegie0 View Post
Something is bugged, something that pulls an enourmous amount of my computer's resources. It clearly seems attached to my UI, and turning off large amounts of the UI seems to help add time to the interval of lag.

So this is not a problem with my Computer, it is the Game's code.
I noticed that you didn't bother answering my question... What Screen Resolution do you have the STO Client set at? And have you tried running at a lower screen resolution???

And how do you know that its a coding issue, and not a hardware performance issue if you haven't tried such a simple test???

Last edited by grouchyotaku; 01-20-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
01-20-2013, 09:01 PM
I tried some of the settings from here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...93&postcount=1

and it helped out quite a bit in reducing FPS spikes and graphic lag

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p