Cryptic Studios Team
# 41
01-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Oh, also... been meaning to notify you of this one:

Placate Immunity currently does not work correctly. I can't say that I understand the "code" reason for this, or the circumstances in which it was failing, but I know that our Programmers just recently found and fixed the reason for it behaving incorrectly.

This bug may have resulted in you being affected by a Placate when you were supposed to be immune.

The "global immunity" proposal from my previous reply is only now a possibility, since this bit of code has reportedly been repaired.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Captain
# 42
01-28-2013, 09:55 AM
The thing i dont get is that when i got the t4 placet thing from rep system. When i fire at enemy npcs they show a 10s placet thing, yet even tho it was suppose to only be a 2s placet to prevent them from targetting me tho they were still shooting me as normal. I thought this seemed a bit weird tbh. Any thoughts on that bort?
Captain
# 43
01-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I've been watching this thread, just FYI. It's obviously a point of concern for PvP, but we'd like to see about addressing it in a way that won't have a negative impact on the PvE usefulness of these abilities.
?
simple anwser, turn off the rep systems for pvp.

that solves EVERY problem you'll ever encounter with the reputation system causing undue problems with pvp in this game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Career Officer
# 44
01-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Oh, also... been meaning to notify you of this one:

Placate Immunity currently does not work correctly. I can't say that I understand the "code" reason for this, or the circumstances in which it was failing, but I know that our Programmers just recently found and fixed the reason for it behaving incorrectly.

This bug may have resulted in you being affected by a Placate when you were supposed to be immune.

The "global immunity" proposal from my previous reply is only now a possibility, since this bit of code has reportedly been repaired.
bort, really the t4 placate passive is really not that bad. it only affect 1v1 games. the main issue is the adapted maco (khg shields). this has been an issue for a very long time. if you add an immune to the shields and every other placate problem solved. its just that t4 mixed with adapted shields brought the issue into the light.
Captain
# 45
01-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Bort, most games including mmos use a dual info set which means they have a sp or pve set of abilities which work for that gamemode and then there is a pvp/mp set of abilities which work for that for balancing issues.

You cannot use 1 set for both, it will cause far too much bad balancing issues. Which i think you can see has resulted in quite alot of gameplay issues on both sides due to the decision made by cryptic to use the 1 set of data.

My advice would be to get a programmer onto a way to divide this up or at the least a tagging system in place so its less work and in that event you simply tag items you want to be disabled in pvp/mp that are tuned for sp/pve. Thats probably the easiest way tho not the quickest still, after the programming bit is done it would still take a few days worth of time to go in a tag powers for it but still, nothing is ever a quick fix in the world of game development.
Career Officer
# 46
01-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Quote:
I
How would this community feel about a global Placate immunity period being put in place, after being on the receiving end of any of these procs? And if that sounds reasonable, what sort of duration would be expected on such an immunity buff?

Bort it might also be good to approach the issue from other systems affected by placates:

Ex:

1) Slightly increasing the time needed to re-acquire a target to maintain Sensor Analysis. (Systems issue, possibly easy fix)

2) Better UI tools for acquiring targets - right now the choice is either turn almost everything off to more easilyacquire enemy player targets and risk eating tricos or other destructables or keep everything on and be potentially mired in a field of over-saturated targets (pets & mines primarily).

Kind of related, but separate, as the team continues to tune things around the new rep system (such as the shield regen passive reduction) - any chance we will see a respec token handed out?

We've had quite a lot of boff power changes, a few rep powers changes but no respec token since S5.

I know it's lucrative from the C-store, but it's pretty typical of most MMOs to at least give these out when powers changes are implemented. (I realize this isn't your area, but maybe you could bring it up?)

Cryptic Studios Team
# 47
01-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Diving headlong into a dual-functionality system like you suggest is basically agreeing to double our workload, for half the benefit. It may be seen immediately as being good for the PvP community, but in the long run it will mean that our precious few man hours that are slated for bug fixes and balance will be spent even less frequently on PvP. Once we segregate it off, this small community will again be a minority too small for frequent consideration.

You don't want that. It's not in your best interest, no matter how good it looks on paper.

We don't want that. It means our quality and quantity of fixes both suffer, and every new piece of gear or power require twice as much development and prototype time and effort.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Career Officer
# 48
01-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptskeeteruk View Post
Bort, most games including mmos use a dual info set which means they have a sp or pve set of abilities which work for that gamemode and then there is a pvp/mp set of abilities which work for that for balancing issues.

You cannot use 1 set for both, it will cause far too much bad balancing issues. Which i think you can see has resulted in quite alot of gameplay issues on both sides due to the decision made by cryptic to use the 1 set of data.

My advice would be to get a programmer onto a way to divide this up or at the least a tagging system in place so its less work and in that event you simply tag items you want to be disabled in pvp/mp that are tuned for sp/pve. Thats probably the easiest way tho not the quickest still, after the programming bit is done it would still take a few days worth of time to go in a tag powers for it but still, nothing is ever a quick fix in the world of game development.
first off they said they will not can not do that. second who is to say what can and cant be used in pvp? example is jump console, its not op its just unique. but some players do have a problem with it. reason is a big fat recluse can always time a subnuke with it. so are we to go with gent rules in pvp towards some of these consoles? sure ide love to ban ams in pvp, who wouldent? but then ide have to agree to ban a jump console just because a few players thinks its not fair at all. see this is the main reason we dont have dual systems.
Captain
# 49
01-28-2013, 10:48 AM
What about higher sensor rating that actually protects against placates ? I understand that you probably cant make it "fail" against certain treshold, But why not let the duration of immunity be increased by sensor rating.
Captain
# 50
01-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Quote:
You don't want that. It's not in your best interest, no matter how good it looks on paper.
Personally, I've never wanted it and have never even thought it looked good on paper. I've always seen it as lumping a broken system on top of another broken system where if they had planned the system from the start better or attempted to fix the initial broken system...but oh well, that's neither here nor there.

I'm glad it's a no.
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel