Lt. Commander
# 1 A Tablet that runs STO?
01-25-2012, 04:38 AM
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...specifications

I was looking at this and it seems to me that it's getting REALLY close. A really competent computer tech could probably upgrade the processor (which is close to the minimum) and add a video card. (External probably being the easiest option.) The absence of a dedicated video card is the only thing that would keep a tablet like this from maxing out ******** and a tablet just a step up from this plus a graphics card could run STO, especially if it could be optimized for high detail settings and low resolution.

I think it's not at all implausible to think we'll be looking at MMO gaming tablets for under $1200 in the next eighteen months. It's really just a matter of a graphics card and better battery life at this point since MMOs don't generally benefit more from more than two cores and cool running dual core laptop processors exist that can support it. SSD like this is affordable and probably also good for temperature and there are graphics cards that would probably work.

This comes close, like I say. Anyone seen anything closer?

You routinely see people indicate they'd spend $2k for a gaming laptop from Alienware or the like but I'm really captivated by the idea of a tablet that could run STO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-25-2012, 04:47 AM
The Ipad2 and Iphone4s are the best bets are they have the fastest GPU in any tablet or phone I have seen. The Iphone even beats all other tablets.

Cryptic do not have a licence for mobile devices. There was a talk on how we cannot manage Doff via mobiles due to lack of a licence.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-25-2012, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsey
The Ipad2 and Iphone4s are the best bets are they have the fastest GPU in any tablet or phone I have seen. The Iphone even beats all other tablets.

Cryptic do not have a licence for mobile devices. There was a talk on how we cannot manage Doff via mobiles due to lack of a licence.
Pls no... only because its there is the apple logo on it its not the best...

The Ipad 2 uses a ARM 1GHz dualcore... ARM is optimized for low power.. but also has horrible performance for everything that is more demanding then Webbrowsing or your standard applestore game...

The tablet linked in the OP has a fully fledged dualcore I5 mobile cpu and runs circle around everything in that regard from apple.

It even runs windows 7 so you just could install any game you want.

The only problem I see with this is, that it only runs a Intel GMA HD.. cause this cpu is previous generation (Arrendale) instead of sandybridge. So you probably only can play on low...

I would like to see the same tablet with a i5-2467M.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-25-2012, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
Pls no... only because its there is the apple logo on it its not the best...

The Ipad 2 uses a ARM 1GHz dualcore... ARM is optimized for low power.. but also has horrible performance for everything that is more demanding then Webbrowsing or your standard applestore game... .
The CPU is not what matters the GPU is. http://uk.gamespot.com/infinity-blad...video-6346438/ that to me looks like enough power to run STO, not on max mind you. I did not say Apple just because its Apple. I said apple as they have the best GPU out so far I have seen on a tablet or phone.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-25-2012, 05:13 AM
It should run, but not well. It beats my laptop in CPU, same memory, worse (edit: not same, had to double checkt he laptop) video. That laptop can run it on low, but the framerate's choppy without half resolution turned on.

The Sahara Slate i500 should be able to run it on medium settings... if you're willing to drop an extra $700 over the EP121's price.

ipad 2 won't even come close to running STO on its own for reasons that Hornet barely began to touch on - It can't run PC software AT ALL, hardware or not, but it still could actually be your best bet with a remove desktop app, in which case it would actually run on your PC and display on the ipad. Downside being unless you're on your home wifi, the latency will crush you.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-25-2012, 05:38 AM
Why again do we link cgi marketing trailers when we have the real game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HemAXkVS7Fk

Infinity blade mostly consists of still images where only the char and a mob moves hardly that demanding and also would even on 5 year old intel GMA garbage. And infity blade 2 is based on the same engine.. so yeah. go figure. :p

And if we go by tablet gpus, nvidias tegra 3 is the current king in this section. Then again it still sucks compared to a sandybridge based mobile cpu. (in cpu and graphic department)

And the CPU matters, especial in MMOs, they are way more often cpu bound then gpu bound, WoW is a nice case where you can get more performance in crowded cities with a cpu upgrade and the same gpu.

Anyway, neither apple nor Nvidia, Samsung or TI with its current ARM chips have the power to run games as "complex" as STO, since one factor is also that no one beside Nvida supports the DX api.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-25-2012, 05:44 AM
iPad's battery life is nice but I think if you're looking at the future of gaming on things like that, it's cloud gaming.

That's one area where I think STO and Cryptic's games could really expand but they'd need to be modded to be significantly less twitch based to account for added lag.

The Cryptic engine could be pretty good as a platform for a cloud-based MMO but action would need to be closer to turn-based, which the engine supports but the implementations we have of it don't.

That said, I think it would actually be doable to have an "STO Mobile" with a cloud service that could also be played on Macs, if Cryptic had the right licenses from CBS.

You'd just need an alternative combat mode and retouch the missions to work with that system. You could probably even share social hubs and let people on the PC version choose whether to play it in PC mode or mobile mode... and with a cloud gaming wrapper around it, you'd have Mac compatibility.

Personally, I'd like to see Cryptic partner with a cloud gaming service for Mac users anyway. There is that extra lag involved and it would discourage PvP heavily on Mac (to a point where Cryptic might just want to disable PvP for cloud users) but it would expand STO's audience on Macs, low end PCs, and even tablets... and I still think that while Mac is a minority of the gaming market, a social format like MMOs will lose an entire guild of twenty people if the two Mac users have to install Bootcamp or a couple of people have trouble with system specs. It could also bypass a lot of the system compatibility issue complaints if everyone had the option to use the cloud version of STO, even with PvP disabled.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-25-2012, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
Why again do we link cgi marketing trailers when we have the real game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HemAXkVS7Fk

Infinity blade mostly consists of still images where only the char and a mob moves hardly that demanding and also would even on 5 year old intel GMA garbage. And infity blade 2 is based on the same engine.. so yeah. go figure. :p

And if we go by tablet gpus, nvidias tegra 3 is the current king in this section. Then again it still sucks compared to a sandybridge based mobile cpu. (in cpu and graphic department)

And the CPU matters, especial in MMOs, they are way more often cpu bound then gpu bound, WoW is a nice case where you can get more performance in crowded cities with a cpu upgrade and the same gpu.

Anyway, neither apple nor Nvidia, Samsung or TI with its current ARM chips have the power to run games as "complex" as STO, since one factor is also that no one beside Nvida supports the DX api.
Those are not marketing imagines but direct form the game. I linked to Infinity Blade 2. You linked to Infinity Blade1 there is a big graphical difference. Infinity Blade 2 is the Unreal engine.

Tegra 3 is not king itís massively behind in power. Nice CPU but the Tegra tablet GPU is slower than phones and a good year behind everyone else. Slower than the year old Ipad 2 as well. For a next gen chip Tegra 3 is rubbish at GPU.

You are also wrong on DX support where Tegra is behind and the most limited. PowerVR have full DX10 support unlike Tegra.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-25-2012, 06:13 AM
In order to home cloud STO you will need an app (for android and iOS) called Splashtop.

this app lets you basically remote control your desktops screen from a tablet giving you a mobile touch screen"splash top" of what your computer is displaying.

thus far using it on my Advent Vega i have managed to play (from annoyware in the house):

* World of ********
* Silk Road Online
* DC Universe Online
* Star Trek Online
* any number of older PC games

Now i must say away from my own wi-fi network and using 3G services through tethering to my phone and even other Wi-Fi hubs outside the home that frame-rate can be sluggish and movement is....difficult to say the least but last week i was able to go to my friends house for a few beers and show him what STO F2P was all about.

for the test we used his home network to remotely link to my desktop, a usb hub, usb mouse and keyboard, turning the tablet into a mini could based PC.
It worked well enough to create a character and play the starting mission with minimal lag.

so not exactly good for end game but y'know what? if onlive can pull this out of the bag properly iwith a suitable interface i'd play it on my Vega.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-25-2012, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsey

Where do you come up with this nonsense? (please don't take that as a direct insult, it's just simply how i view the statement ) My Asus eepad transformer prime walks all over anything coming out of cupertino ( as does my HTC phone but i'm not here for a fanboy war )

As for the OP. Sure, the hardware is getting there and STO is not particularly demanding. Upgrading tablets can't be done because of the machine soldering needed for tiny parts and external graphics via a port? i can't see it working better than the gpu on a tegra chip to be honest.

The main problem lies not with the hardware but with the software. Unless you are waiting for a windows 8 tablet ( and I am, very much looking forward to that ) then Cryptic are not going to pay a dev team to port it to a bespoke OS like apples or even to Android. IMHO.
Closed Thread