Career Officer
# 81
03-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Don't know if this has already been said but if it has then it needs to be said again.
The Sovereign doesn't need a fix, it needs an entirely new model, the current one is low poly and frankly hideous from some angles where the window lines jerk around.
Captain
# 82
03-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1gamer View Post
I would also say before any new ships, fix the old ones and give use more interior/bridges for the game, in the right size.
Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Don't know if this has already been said but if it has then it needs to be said again.
The Sovereign doesn't need a fix, it needs an entirely new model, the current one is low poly and frankly hideous from some angles where the window lines jerk around.
Yeah, there's quite a lot of issues with the Sovereign model in general. I was looking at my 16inch model of the Enterprise-E the other day, and that thing had more accurate details than the ship in this game.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Ensign
# 83
03-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Think it's time, that the Community solves the Model problems.
Always the Community has done much better work instead of the Game Studio, look at Bridge Commander. Whole new Ships much better with great details like in the movies than the default ones.

It's a shame... Cryptic's progress with Content is really slow they should spend 20% of their ressourcen wo enhance the current Models to become more like in the movies
Lt. Commander
# 84
03-15-2013, 10:02 PM
I think the Klingon Bird of Prey is the worst of the lot, its the most iconic non Federation ship and its impulse engines are horrendous, detailing is off...it needs a revamp.
Captain
# 85
03-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirte86 View Post
Think it's time, that the Community solves the Model problems.
Always the Community has done much better work instead of the Game Studio, look at Bridge Commander. Whole new Ships much better with great details like in the movies than the default ones.

It's a shame... Cryptic's progress with Content is really slow they should spend 20% of their ressourcen wo enhance the current Models to become more like in the movies
quite, as i said before there is more than one way to monetise a player base. turning a lot of them into unpaid devs is one way.

though im not sure the errors in those models on page one are inherent errors in the models, or errors from converting or rendering the model for or in the game engine.
t6 cruiser? keep it, i'd rather have aux to dampers 3.
as it turns out, an intrepid would lose a fight with a connie.
and thats canon.
! the power of plot compels you.
Lieutenant
# 86
03-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Same people... making the same excuses for Cryptic's incompetence.... Bridge commander was much better and more effort was put into it. Oh and it didn't sell this rubbish anyway.
Captain
# 87
03-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janewaywarrior View Post
Same people... making the same excuses for Cryptic's incompetence.... Bridge commander was much better and more effort was put into it. Oh and it didn't sell this rubbish anyway.
try breaking out a cad system. you can get one called blender for free & see how that goes.
its a pain in the a** to do, even if the get the design spot on, there is no guarentee the model will come out the same way when rendered by the game engine.

especially if you need to export / convert the format of yo0ur mesh for the engine to use.
which can turn your mesh into an angry looking extra spiky photon torpedo.

then you patch the engine and it decides its going to render things differently again...
t6 cruiser? keep it, i'd rather have aux to dampers 3.
as it turns out, an intrepid would lose a fight with a connie.
and thats canon.
! the power of plot compels you.
Career Officer
# 88
03-16-2013, 09:24 AM
These things won't get fixed because there's no money to be made by fixing them.

The best we can hope for is that one of the ship artists gets enough free time (and inclination) to do a fix - much like Borticus is trying to fix PvP balance issues during his coffee breaks.

Cryptic aren't going to outsource this to the players either since a new mesh and some texture maps isn't going to fix an in-game asset - it'd still need to be hooked up to the ship mechanics and that would need one of the Devs working on it.

Until Cryptic realize the importance and the benefits of working with the community on long-standing issues and major changes to the game, things will just carry on as they are.

The way to get what you want is to get organized and stop spending money.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Captain
# 89
03-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Trust me, I've already stopped pouring my money into this game since... a long time ago. It won't really affect anything though, ten other thirteen year old kids with huge allowances will make up the difference.

We can only get the Devs to bump these issues up in the fix-it list as legitimate immersion-breaking issues, as opposed to someone's pet project in a half-hour lunch break. I'm hoping someone is watching this thread, seeing the number of complaints about the issues with these ships, and reprioritizes them.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Captain
# 90
03-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Game designers have a resource budget for how much detail they are allowed to put into a ship, there is no such thing as a curve in 3d computer graphics, it's all polygons, little triangles connected together, 15 to 20 thousand polys is about normal, a hundred thousand would be extreme and a million polys would be insane, there is an associated limitation on the size of the materials file(paint job) attached to that ship. They are not going to waste what limited budget they have adding some minor curve or whatever that would never even be seen in normal game play. This is not a single player game with one big detailed ship against a bunch of distant targets, it's multiplayer where in some areas there can be a hundred ships all working independently along with all the bits of scenery that also have to be rendered, the graphics engine has to be able to accommodate that and it has to be able to run on a wide range of computers, not just high end machines with the most expensive graphics cards, so trade-offs of detail for performance have to be made.
Certainly there are designs with serious flaws that need to be addressed, but anyone expecting studio model perfection can just keep on dreaming, because it's not going to happen.
If you want the devs to take this thread seriously, then be realistic and reasonable in your expectations.

Last edited by maxvitor; 03-16-2013 at 10:54 PM.