Ensign
# 1 Space weapon fire limit?
01-08-2013, 11:58 PM
I seem to vaguely remember from a long time ago that there is a limit to how many weapons can fire at once on your ship, I haven't been able to find any details though. Anyone know if I made this up?

Today I put together the full Omega Adapted Borg Tech set replaced my forward torpedo with the Omega Plasma Torp and the rear torpedo with the Cutting Beam. I ran an elite Infected and it felt great but I noticed I wasn't getting the string of pearls out of the Omega Torpedo (the pretty 5 consecutive shots), when I looked at the weapons it seems it couldn't find time to activate between 3 dual cannons, 2 turrets and the Cutting Beam.

So I'm kind of stuck of what to do about it really, everything auto-firing seems to be doing great DPS but I would like to get those torpedoes off more frequently. Mind you the Plasma Energy Bolts work fine, had a 52k crit on a cube, was very nice to see.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
01-09-2013, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeastie View Post
I seem to vaguely remember from a long time ago that there is a limit to how many weapons can fire at once on your ship, I haven't been able to find any details though. Anyone know if I made this up?

Today I put together the full Omega Adapted Borg Tech set replaced my forward torpedo with the Omega Plasma Torp and the rear torpedo with the Cutting Beam. I ran an elite Infected and it felt great but I noticed I wasn't getting the string of pearls out of the Omega Torpedo (the pretty 5 consecutive shots), when I looked at the weapons it seems it couldn't find time to activate between 3 dual cannons, 2 turrets and the Cutting Beam.

So I'm kind of stuck of what to do about it really, everything auto-firing seems to be doing great DPS but I would like to get those torpedoes off more frequently. Mind you the Plasma Energy Bolts work fine, had a 52k crit on a cube, was very nice to see.
There's no limit on Autofire (I've had all eight beams on my cruiser firing at once), but I DO know that firing multiple torpedos very quickly - something the Omega and Romulan torpedos do naturally, and Photons + Projectile Doffs do as well - can mess with the launcher cooldowns.

Some player advice has been to take those particular torps off cooldown and simply fire them manually when you're in the arc. Can be a pain, but special torps require special treatment sometimes.
Commander
# 3
01-09-2013, 01:15 AM
i've noticed fireing manually/using keybinds to put it as number 1 in the abilitys tray that it seems to have a second or 2 cooldown between each shot few other things with it too if you fire from 9 distance using high yield to get the energy bolt and a target moves away from it in other direction it seems to run out of steam and stop when reaching 10k travel distance from point of fired i watched it a few times same result and it didnt come under any fire i watched its 4400 health then about 5 6 seconds after running out of rocket fule(lol) it vanishes. i tryed this with tholions and klingons in deep space encounters same thing sometimes it hit and didnt do any damage either nor any plasma fire that happened quite a few times against the birds of prey the power of the bolt is enough to destroy it one fireing of one beam is enough to destroy. the times it did hit it definatly vaporized the birds
Ensign
# 4
01-09-2013, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
There's no limit on Autofire (I've had all eight beams on my cruiser firing at once), but I DO know that firing multiple torpedos very quickly - something the Omega and Romulan torpedos do naturally, and Photons + Projectile Doffs do as well - can mess with the launcher cooldowns.

Some player advice has been to take those particular torps off cooldown and simply fire them manually when you're in the arc. Can be a pain, but special torps require special treatment sometimes.
Tried firing it with the turrets disabled and it behaved exactly the same. I have seen it fire 5 consecutive shots but more often then not it seems to get confused and tries firing but actually doesn't. Very odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverofwars View Post
the times it did hit it definatly vaporized the birds
Do love the atomizing effect; no more warp core breaches to dodge!
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
01-09-2013, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeastie View Post
Tried firing it with the turrets disabled and it behaved exactly the same. I have seen it fire 5 consecutive shots but more often then not it seems to get confused and tries firing but actually doesn't. Very odd.

Do love the atomizing effect; no more warp core breaches to dodge!
Who told you to disable the turrets? Like I said, there's no hard limit on how many weapons you can autofire, just that very fast-firing weapons, like using multiple launchers and purple projectile Doffs, or torps with specialized firing routines (like the Omega and Hyper Torpedoes) can go awry because they trigger global cooldowns that mess.

AFAIK, the Omega fires rapidly through a 5-shot magazine with very fast cooldown, then goes through a longer cooldown to "reload". The Rommie torpedo fires in 3-torp "bursts".

Given that these torpedoes are special, and the autofire is programmed to fire all selected weapons as soon as they cool down and have an in-arc target, the game simply cannot deal with the special torpedo "quirks".

And like I said, the common workaround is to take the TORPEDOES off autofire and shoot them manually, NOT the turrets.

Si
Ensign
# 6
01-09-2013, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Who told you to disable the turrets?
Nobody, I was investigating the issue for myself.

I'm leaving it on auto-fire mainly because I'm loathe to start abusing my spacebar. The torps are going out just slightly more spaced out, which may actually work out quite well.

Last edited by dabeastie; 01-09-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Captain
# 7
01-09-2013, 05:46 AM
There used to be a limit to the number of concurrent cannons one could fire. This typically impacted turrets and DHCs, and led to some...annoying workarounds that folks had to do.

I believe said limit was removed back with the ground combat revamp, but I honestly don't remember if that's a 100% accurate timeframe. In any event, there is no such limit at present.
Ensign
# 8
01-09-2013, 05:49 AM
I just noticed the Omega Plasma Torpedo tooltip reads "Consumed on Use".
Lieutenant
# 9
01-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Quote:

Ah..NO. This is a programming issue they have never addressed.
Career Officer
# 10
01-09-2013, 04:18 PM
If not using auto-fire it seems to be a limit of 5 weapons at once. I can hit spacebar and only 5 will go at once.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!