Captain
# 1 STF Mk XI vs. XII
01-22-2013, 01:42 AM
I'm about to hit tier 3 Omega reputation on my newest toon. And I'm starting to get access to Mk XI equipment.

I am a big fan of the ground MACO set, and I'm also rather fond of the space assimilated engines and deflector as well as the MACO shield. However, I'm not quite certain what I should do in terms of actually picking up the equipment.

Simply put - should I wait until tier 5 is complete and grab XII gear? It'll take me a bit to get enough Omega marks to be able to put together all this gear, but it'll take even longer to manage to get up to Mk XII. I don't know how stark the actual difference is, nor how costly it will be. On two other toons I have been quite satisfied with Mk XI stuff, but as I hardly ever do Elite STFs I simply don't know how much of a difference there is. This is especially so given the set bonuses supposedly get better with higher-level gear as of a recent patch - which is important as one of the reasons I like the MACO ground set is because of the shield capacitor.

I know that to get the MACO XI space shield I'll need T4, but at the moment, I'd already have at least five pieces of gear available at T3 to get (MACO ground XI and Borg engines and deflector XI), so I'd have plenty to chew up my Omega marks for the moment anyway.

Any thoughts/advice on this would be appreciated, particularly in the difference in effectiveness. Thank you for any help you can provide.
Captain
# 2
01-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Borg Set: mk XI works fine.

MACO and Omega: Might want to wait until mk XII. Especially MACO.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
# 3
01-22-2013, 02:15 AM
If you don't do elite STFs it's going to take you a long time to get them, Borg = 2700 mks, MACO = 3000 mks. The difference is minimal, the biggest difference is the costume for the ground gear, the boost to DPS on space and ground is minimal. Probably not worth it unless you want to start running Elite STFs, in which case you should be in a fleet that run them or go with the guys on the PublicEliteSTF or EliteSTF channels, for God's sake don't pug them.
Captain
# 4
01-22-2013, 03:01 AM
I've been wondering about that. Even if you ARE running or planning to run eSTF's, is the difference worth it? I mean, I've got the mk XII's on most of my characters before the rep system, but the differences were on the scale of 1's and 2's to skills points.

If you're a halfway decent player you shouldn't really notice the difference, right?

Heck, on my newer character I'm using both the Jem set and a non-set get-up (positron deflector, efficient engine, regen shield), depending on the ship, and that seems to be working fine too, even in eSTFs (though without the set-boni, clearly).

I'm very much inclined to just get that character the mk XI sets and be done with it.
Republic Veteran
# 5
01-22-2013, 04:44 AM
I'd say aim for the Mk XI sets. At least then you're in a good state for the eSTFs. The MK XII can then be a long term goal. It is better than trying to grind straight to the XII on mediocre non set gear.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
01-22-2013, 04:52 AM
I've done elite STFs in Mk XI gear. Mk XII gear just makes it easier to get the optionals, via better dps. (Still need proper tactics. Even decent Mk X gear with the right tactics, will get through at least ISE alone.)

However, well geared groups in Mk XII gear, 'can' make STF runs seem like the game 'is' too easy. I've blown through CSE, and gotten the optionals on space Hive, with a full elite group, with a tacs. I've also gotten the IGE ground optional, with only mk XI MACO gear on moi. (Again, tactics account for ALOT in elites.)

I will admit, elite gear 'is' a status symbol, as much as gear that gives a nice pve edge, though it's not game breaking beyond all measure. (Don't expect to just go into a pvp match with shiny mk XII gear on, and win, if you don't know 'those' tactics well and pat.)

Overall, for causals, Mk XI is fine. Depending on how/when/whenever the future (possible) level cap increase to be, will be, however be, then all us Mk XII specials, will need to look for shiny 'new' gear to go after, along with the rest of the playing community. (Maybe.)
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=93314053000&dateline=  1378014577
Captain
# 7
01-22-2013, 05:30 AM
Of note, eventually (once Cryptic gets the gating working) you'll supposedly need the Mk XII Maco/KHG to access the adapted sets. Said restriction is currently not working however.
Captain
# 8
01-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Of note, eventually (once Cryptic gets the gating working) you'll supposedly need the Mk XII Maco/KHG to access the adapted sets. Said restriction is currently not working however.
The Adapted set itself is only available in Mk XII, however.
Captain
# 9
01-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
MACO and Omega: Might want to wait until mk XII. Especially MACO.
Does this include both ground and space, or just one or the other?
Captain
# 10
01-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red01999 View Post
Does this include both ground and space, or just one or the other?
Mostly for the ground since unique costume options are unlocked.