Ensign
# 1 Is there a way to....
01-22-2013, 01:17 AM
I'm new to Foundry and have ambitions that outstrip my knowledge (and likely my talent as well). I've been unable to find these items, and I'm hoping that someone can tell me:

1. Is there a "inactive holodeck room" map? You know, the black walls with the white gridlines?

2. Is the Crystalline Entity available on a space map?

3. Can I fly the player's ship close to a star? Not dangerously close, and not necessarily as close as you can get to a planet, but I want it to seem really bright, and hopefully light up the surface of the ship and any nearby floating rocks.

3. Failing that, I'd like to have a floating gateway whose "other side" is close to a star, so from this side we see the glaring brightness. (Even better, when we're beside the gate, we can see the beams shining through).

Thanks
Rihannsu
# 2
01-22-2013, 05:56 AM
1: no. BUT there is a prop you can put on a regular map that has that look.

2: no

3a: no

3b: see: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=508871
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
01-22-2013, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by svwilson View Post
I'm new to Foundry and have ambitions that outstrip my knowledge (and likely my talent as well). I've been unable to find these items, and I'm hoping that someone can tell me:

1. Is there a "inactive holodeck room" map? You know, the black walls with the white gridlines?

2. Is the Crystalline Entity available on a space map?

3. Can I fly the player's ship close to a star? Not dangerously close, and not necessarily as close as you can get to a planet, but I want it to seem really bright, and hopefully light up the surface of the ship and any nearby floating rocks.

3. Failing that, I'd like to have a floating gateway whose "other side" is close to a star, so from this side we see the glaring brightness. (Even better, when we're beside the gate, we can see the beams shining through).

Thanks
1. There is actually a holodeck asset you can place on any ground map. I've never used it personally but it's designed that way so that you can have the holodeck fade in/out.

2. Not that I know of.

3. There's a trick I used to do which involved a gas giant with the "sun" light on the opposite side behind the player. The light causes the bloom effect to make the planet seem to glow. Unfortunatly, with Sn 7 the lighting broke and only the default light works right now. You may still be able to get it to work if you can figure out which direction the default light is coming from. A few Nebulae placed around the planet may add to the effect.

4. There are a number of portal effects, but I'm not sure if any of them have the look you want.

@greendragoon
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
01-22-2013, 07:34 AM
I've been experimenting with creating a "star" on a spacemap and came up with this in another thread.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=22

Since I made that screenshot I've actually pulled the nebula clouds in closer to the planet, which makes it look much better.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Rihannsu
# 5
01-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Here's the result of one of my experiments: http://marhawkman.deviantart.com/art...rime-349935867
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
01-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Trinary system? Awesomeness!
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Rihannsu
# 7
01-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Well... not really. :p I does kinda look like it but... that's a surprise. It's part of my challenge entry. But... the two foreground objects are former brown dwarfs that got heated up when the primary expanded. I can't really say why just yet.

This one I made by layering a blue-red-ish supernova remnant over Vorn, then carefully positioning a large white star in the middle.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
01-22-2013, 10:21 AM
I also used one of the supernova backdrops. Beautiful things, aren't they? Mine will be in the challenge as well. I'm playing around with having the player start some kind solar flare to destroy an enemy fleet.
Rihannsu
# 9
01-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Cool, in my case the star has started to shed mass into the rest of the solar system. It has a small nebula surrounding it. The Brown Dwarfs heated up from absorbing soem of the ejected material.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!