Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Empire Veteran
Greetings All,

I got a pretty good deal on an Orb Weaver Lox Box ship and although I don't really think I'd use the ship very much I was interrested in using the console on my Recluse Carrier.

I'm not sure if I want to crack open a 35-40 million EC lockbox ship just to use the special console but it does seem kind of cool to be able to trap targets in place for a few seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-23-2013, 10:51 PM
I would say NO. The orb weaver console is kind of cool, but it is flawed. In many circumstances it fails. It starts to build the web and it fails. It will work in standard PvE missions when you are going 1v1 with an enemy i.e. deferi dailies. Not all that useful in STF's. The Recluse is a nice ship. It has more hull strength than any fed ship and most klingon ships. It is very slow though.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 3
01-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgorillapx View Post
The orb weaver console is kind of cool, but it is flawed. In many circumstances it fails. It starts to build the web and it fails. It will work in standard PvE missions when you are going 1v1 with an enemy i.e. deferi dailies. Not all that useful in STF's.
The Web is designed to fail when used too close to an enemy that might not fit inside. In those circumstances, the catastrophic failure of the web formation is accompanied by a massive AOE explosion about on par with a couple Quantum Torpedoes.

This failsafe was put into place for collision programming reasons, and can't be changed.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
01-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
The Web is designed to fail when used too close to an enemy that might not fit inside. In those circumstances, the catastrophic failure of the web formation is accompanied by a massive AOE explosion about on par with a couple Quantum Torpedoes.

This failsafe was put into place for collision programming reasons, and can't be changed.
how about iincreasing the dmg cus its a waste of cosnole space at the mo
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
01-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Quote:
The Web is designed to fail when used too close to an enemy that might not fit inside.
Those Borg probes in KASE have to be really big because my web hardly ever forms around them.
Empire Veteran
# 6
01-24-2013, 10:00 AM
I got the tholian ships as a collectors item lol... Never even really used them except for the day I got them...
Cryptic Studios Team
# 7
01-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjumetley View Post
Those Borg probes in KASE have to be really big because my web hardly ever forms around them.
If they're within about 4km of a Cube or stationary objective, the web will perform a catastrophic failure instead of forming.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Empire Veteran
# 8
01-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by errab View Post
Greetings All,

I got a pretty good deal on an Orb Weaver Lox Box ship and although I don't really think I'd use the ship very much I was interrested in using the console on my Recluse Carrier.

I'm not sure if I want to crack open a 35-40 million EC lockbox ship just to use the special console but it does seem kind of cool to be able to trap targets in place for a few seconds.
It's not worth the console slot, especially on a recluse. It's funny in pvp, but if you intend to play pve mostly don't buy it. For a Recluse i'd avise you to get a subspace jump console on the exchange, it's cheap and far more interesting than a web dealing poor damage and failing most of the times.

The Recluse is an awesome ship though, i had a lot of fun with it. Just don't use the console and the fighters, use advanced peregrines instead. The pets use beams and have no interesting ability (ie they suck) and the console is just slightly boosting the little dps the pets have every 3 minutes or so. Just a subspace jump, and that's it. Enjoy!
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Quote:

I would have to say that despite this tholian web generator technically "performing as intended", the answer remains the same and will remain the same by any knowledgeable owner of one of those ships. The web generator is not worth having. It is simply taking up space in most peoples inventory. The constant failure of the web to form (especially during STF's.) is too much of a blow especially in comparison with the mild effect that the web has when it actually does form. Either way it's quite a disappointment. One would think that a species as advanced as the tholians would have a much higher success rate when attempting to deploy their "web".

Are we to believe that this is not in fact Tholian technology, but a reverse engineered version of the "Tholian Web Generator", using Windows Vista as its base operating system? If not, I can't think of any other good reason for it's poor success rate. Perhaps they are being operated by the ever-problematic klingon reinforcement duty officers that refuse to work as intended. Wouldn't they be put in the brig for such insolence?
Lieutenant
# 10
01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
If it is 'just' for the console, then no. It is amusing in some circumstances in STFs (Donatra does fit inside nicely).

The Orb Weaver is a ship definitely worth flying if you like Science ships, though.