Ensign
I realize its probably too late to change anything at this point, but I'd been really hoping the Dominion lockbox would be the chance for this melee weapon to be available to players. I don't know what it'd take to make it PC-usable but its already in the game as an NPC weapon and lying around ESD. It's the last on the list for my melee character to finish the collection.

Anyone else hoping this would be included? Even if its not at this time, maybe enough desire will see it added in later.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 2
01-22-2013, 07:14 PM
We looked into this early on in the planning stages, but the existing art work doesn't work with any of our existing melee animations. Creating the assets and/or animations that would line up for use with this distinctive weapon, and work correctly with our existing melee combo system, would've been a much larger time investment than our current schedule allows.

I wouldn't rule it out completely, as an item that may appear in the game at some point in the future. But we were not able to fit it into the team's schedule for the launch of this Lock Box.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Rihannsu
# 3
01-22-2013, 07:18 PM
That's unfortunate. But I'll be eagerly waiting.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
01-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Couldn't it use the Lirpa animations?

Raptr profile
Rihannsu
# 5
01-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by direphoenix View Post
Couldn't it use the Lirpa animations?
Nah. You slash with both ends of a Lirpa. That'd result in you alternating between slashign and thumping while holding the middle of the weapon where the blade starts....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
01-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Nah. You slash with both ends of a Lirpa. That'd result in you alternating between slashign and thumping while holding the middle of the weapon where the blade starts....
You don't slash with both ends of a Lirpa, mainly because they're not bladed on both ends. Lirpas have a blunt weight on their non-bladed end. You slash with one end and bludgeon with the other, as you would with any other staff, or non-bladed end of a polearm.

Raptr profile
Captain
# 7
01-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Isn't there a spot for a hand there? Not saying the lirpa animations would work, but I thought the handle has a spot in the blade as well.
Republic Veteran
# 8
01-22-2013, 09:12 PM
I think the bat'leth animation would work better than the Lirpa animation.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Empire Veteran
# 9
01-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
We looked into this early on in the planning stages, but the existing art work doesn't work with any of our existing melee animations. Creating the assets and/or animations that would line up for use with this distinctive weapon, and work correctly with our existing melee combo system, would've been a much larger time investment than our current schedule allows.

I wouldn't rule it out completely, as an item that may appear in the game at some point in the future. But we were not able to fit it into the team's schedule for the launch of this Lock Box.
That is good news that it just wasn't put in just to make money and end up not actually working Although tbh my view on melee is it should simply be redone in how it works so that a majority of weapon models can actually work since there are many in every star trek series that would be nice to have like this one as well as many others. Leads back to the problem out of the slew of Klingon bladed weapons I am assuming this is probally the same problem even if it was made it wouldn't work right.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post

So the NPC Jem'Hadar soldier animations cannot be used on player characters? Granted, I haven't paid attention to see if they had more than one or two swings/attacks, but is it really different? A whip got added, and that's more of a departure from anything else melee in the game, I would assume.

Or am I mistaken and they don't use proper kar'takin weapons, so those resources are of no use?
_______
equal parts cynical and helpful

Last edited by synkr0nized; 01-23-2013 at 07:17 AM.