Commander
# 81
01-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Wow, hfmudd, I LOVE what your mirror Sanara said about the Prime Directive! You really captured the difference between what it started as in TOS (protecting those who genuinely could not have fought the Federation back) and what it became in TNG--an excuse to play politics and to pick and choose which atrocities to accept and which ones to ignore.
Just so. Thank you.
(And, seeing as how Trek often references real-world politics, there's also a bit of a dig there at how often "civilized" democracies stand by while other countries act in barbaric ways, especially to their own people. Apparently, "never again" and "universal human rights" and similar rhetoric only counts when you're sitting on land or resources those democracies want, or are a potential or proven threat to one of them.)

I also wanted to address the improbability (in scientific, rather than narrative, terms) of why it's always these two universes (or is it? - see previous discussion), and present my personal theory on which way the Vulcan/Romulan split went in that universe - that it was the "weak" Surakites who were exiled to wander the stars, and the dangerous schemers who stayed home.

Quote:
What she did--not really taking the time to learn what Joining was like in the prime universe, and then trying to kill Draz--was wrong and ultimately it does show the corruption that seems to be almost ubiquitous in the MU. But, what she said before that point was right.
Even then, I don't see her as 'corrupt'. Impatient and judgmental, yes (qualities shared by this Sanara, though somewhat tempered by Draz), but still doing her best to survive and learn despite the horrible things she's experienced, and in the end, willing to sacrifice herself to grant "mercy" to what she thought was a victim and end the life of a cruel tyrant. (Unfortunately, even if Draz shows her mercy in turn when she wakes up in Europa's brig, it's unlikely to change her opinion.)

It's a grim, dangerous and often desperate universe, and it breeds people who are the same.

Last edited by hfmudd; 01-26-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 82
01-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
I also edited mine and have decided it is finished. The way it ended leads to the imagination the final conversation between the Captains and any ramifications may be dealt with in later LCs if the opportunity arrises.
Well done. The beam burning into the Deltan's throat is a nice visual (as in written well, not something I want to happen to me). I expect that the 'payment' for Kathryn's services will be interesting whenever it is revealed.
Captain
# 83
01-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
It's a grim, dangerous and often desperate universe, and it breeds people who are the same.
That was what I was going for with my entry and the Mirror Marcus... He didn't necessarily want to become immortal, he just wanted to not die, and was willing to go to any expense/length to prevent that happening...

I really liked the references you made to the improbability of the crossovers, and indeed, the political references were very apt, but one part I especially liked, was the description of Mirror Sanara having cut her own hair, that was a really nice touch

[Edit to add]
After discussion and reflection, I felt I should re-edit and add an epilogue...

Additional cast...

T'Natra - Gal Gadot
S'rR's Kane - Amy Smart
Selek - Oded Fehr

Last edited by marcusdkane; 01-26-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Rihannsu
# 84
01-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
(...snip)
...I REALLY hope you don't mind if I steal that, because you said what I wanted to say much better than I did.

@cmdrscarlet:

Ibalei hasn't quite been killed off...yet. It mostly depends on how a few plot lines in my fleet develop.

EDIT: Although, I could possibly have two separate...parallel? plots. One for in-fleet, and another for LC's.
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet

Last edited by ironphoenix113; 01-26-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Captain
# 85
01-27-2013, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironphoenix113 View Post
...I REALLY hope you don't mind if I steal that, because you said what I wanted to say much better than I did.
By all means feel free, I'm glad you liked it Only cost is some feedback on my added Epilogue

Quote:
Ibalei hasn't quite been killed off...yet
SPOILERS SPOILERS!!!
Rihannsu
# 86
01-27-2013, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
By all means feel free, I'm glad you liked it Only cost is some feedback on my added Epilogue
On that note: Your Epilogue was awsome. Not much to say other than you nailed it.
Captain
# 87
01-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Quote:
On that note: Your Epilogue was awsome. Not much to say other than you nailed it.
Thanks, that's always nice to hear After the comments by yourself and CmdrScarlet, I felt I should just add something to cover S'rR's' Revenge, and completely close the book on Marcus before the next LC, and I wanted to start giving Mayer's character a bit more depth than simply being a name on the bridge

[Edit to add]
If Hamish is the Scottish form of James, I figured T'Natra would be the Vulcan form of Donatra

Last edited by marcusdkane; 01-27-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Rihannsu
# 88
01-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Edited mine again (last time, I promise ). Shout out to marcus for that awsome paragraph at the end of the battle scene. Also added an epilogue to mine. So, to that end:

Additional soundtrack:
Epilogue: Thomas Bergersen; Could've Been (Illumina)
Captain
# 89
01-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Quote:
I agree; I think marcus' entry really benefitted from that epilogue. I really don't know his characters very well yet, but it made sense that after something so huge--especially after 15 years of writing a character--there should be some sort of look at the emotional fallout from that moment.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
# 90
01-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Edited mine again (last time, I promise ).
I'm equally going to make one last modification... A bit of a sentence isn't flowing right, but will be soon

Quote:
Shout out to marcus for that awsome paragraph at the end of the battle scene. Also added an epilogue to mine. So, to that end:

Additional soundtrack:
Epilogue: Thomas Bergersen; Could've Been (Illumina)
Happy to have been able to help you smooth things, and fantastic epilogue as well