Lieutenant
# 1 Full Auto Rifle vs Borg
01-21-2013, 03:56 PM
In terms of Borg adaptation - When firing a full-auto rifle in normal mode, does each burst count as one shot, or does each shot in the burst count? i.e., do the borg adapt more quickly to a full auto than a beam weapon or pulsewave? I know pistols are not ideal for this reason, but wondering how the game sees the full-auto burst.
Captain
# 2
01-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizork View Post
In terms of Borg adaptation - When firing a full-auto rifle in normal mode, does each burst count as one shot, or does each shot in the burst count? i.e., do the borg adapt more quickly to a full auto than a beam weapon or pulsewave? I know pistols are not ideal for this reason, but wondering how the game sees the full-auto burst.
Each shot in the burst (thus nearly guaranteeing the fastest adaptation rate). An anti-Borg auto rifle also deals its bonus damage each tick, which is one of the few upsides.

Fortunately, there is a limit to how quickly the Borg can adapt to weapons fire. It's not enough of one to counter the disadvantage of rapid-fire weapons, but they won't adapt after a single burst, either.
Commander
# 3
01-22-2013, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoknight89 View Post
Each shot in the burst (thus nearly guaranteeing the fastest adaptation rate). An anti-Borg auto rifle also deals its bonus damage each tick, which is one of the few upsides.

Fortunately, there is a limit to how quickly the Borg can adapt to weapons fire. It's not enough of one to counter the disadvantage of rapid-fire weapons, but they won't adapt after a single burst, either.
Quick addition to that, they can adapt in one burst of secondary fire if it hits multiple borg.
Ensign
# 4
01-22-2013, 03:31 AM
I was under the impression that they changed it.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=251165

Quote:
I've just added an internal limiter that will prevent you from gaining a counter within .35 seconds of another. In other words, the absolute fastest that any weapon can be adapted to should become 1.4 seconds.
Captain
# 5
01-22-2013, 04:31 AM
Even if they tried to changed it, it obviously does not work, or at least not for all weapons. My character has the remodulation perk from the omega reputation system and Borg adapt after like 2-3 shots from her Romulan disruptor pistol. Same with the Romulan rifle.
Career Officer
# 6
01-22-2013, 04:52 AM
They did change it, then they changed it back. It makes the omega weapon a very specialized and limited use weapon on the borg, you must have a good second weapon or you'll be useless.
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Republic Veteran
# 7
01-22-2013, 05:01 AM
I would suggest using a sniper type rifle and pairing it with the Adapted MACO gun. Just make sure they are different energy types. The Adapted MACO is pulsewave and they generally do a big amount of damage in a single shot, although they have a longer reload time.

If you cannot yet get the adapted MACO, any other pulsewave gun is a good option till then.

One note on that Adapted MACO gun. It states in the tool tip that it does disrupter damage when it really does phaser so keep than in mind when selecting a secondary weapon.
# 8
01-22-2013, 07:08 AM
It's worth throwing out that the rep passive that slows adaptation got a ridiculous buff a few patches back. The patch only said "improved" but the net result is that a minigun (the fastest adapting weapon) with the passive adapts slower than a sniper (the slowest adapting) without it, and if you stick to snipers and pulsewaves, you might as well not be adapting at all. I've done entire elite ground STFs without ever having both weapons adapt at the same time now.
Captain
# 9
01-22-2013, 12:37 PM
But is that rep option really worth it? It seems redundant to me when they offer a set that has instant remodulation as the top prize.
Captain
# 10
01-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
But is that rep option really worth it? It seems redundant to me when they offer a set that has instant remodulation as the top prize.
I don't have that rep option, and truth be told I wouldn't pick it myself because it's too focused. However, the "instant remodulation" can, in a heavy firefight, still leave you with an unadapted weapon for at least a few seconds. The extra time might help bridge the time between triggering the instant remod and the cooldown (which is, if I recall, something like 10 seoconds).