Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 51
01-24-2013, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilczewski View Post
Hmmm... What's the worst, and least worst of having Lou Gehrig's Disease?
You know when we were young I used to say to him, "Lou, there's a disease out there that has your name written all over it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
except that... well... it'll make more people see Scramble Senors as an attracitve option....

and everyone knows how awesome and wanted ss is in pvp. -rolls eyes-

just when scramble sensors was considered to not be broken and a reasonable power they had to go and frack it up with a stupid and pointless doff....
Agreed. I have no desire to see it used more often. Also it's less than thrilling to see them make a doff for a power that has been the source of so many bugs in the past.
Captain
# 52
01-24-2013, 07:50 AM
What I "like" about this (thou it will fit to every sci ship released in the last few month) is the constant spawning of npcs in pvp.More and more carriers finally turned PvP in PvE .Ofcourse the server connection and game engine is the same and has to deal with more things spawned ,but who cares as long little Timmy gets a ship which can spawn few thousands friendly npc's is all Ok.
Career Officer
# 53
01-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxlagind View Post

The long raging debate has been how powerful the BUG is. People who have it claim that it's fine, people who don't recognize how amazing it is. With the consoles, people flying it are now going to have to accept the criticism they receive for flying what will be the ultimate Pay-to-Win ship.

For the time being, it will further the divide between the "haves" and "have nots", and will cause more players to avoid PvP rather than enrich it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devorasx View Post
Worse is that I feel the whole pvp bootcamp becomes heavily undermined by the lockbox. We at bootcamp are trying to balance and learn basics by playing fair and just. Cryptic claim to help and bless the bootcamp for its purpose, but this lockbox just screams hyporcrisy.This retarded lockbox, fueled by sheer greed and lust for money is ruining pvp further. Even the scramble sensor doff has no use in pve whatsoever, and certainly meant for pvp.

Why cryptic and PWE why???
I agree heavily with both of these assessments.
Empire Veteran
# 54
01-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
I still say it comes down to what I said in another thread.

Cryptic's being smart. They're playing both sides of the coin, so to speak.

Support the PvP Community - show support for things like the Boot Camp, OPvP Channel, Leagues, Private Matches (Scheduling things in OPvP or on the Forums).

Support the MOAR POWA Community - by giving them things that are obvious examples of power creep, yet are not things that are broken and make a complete farce out of the PvE experience (like they're still working on how players can "poop out Dispersal Patterns" of Trics - lol, still chuckle reading that line).

Unfortunately, with the latter - the regular queues and Ker'rat are going to become cesspools of molten cheese and the AFK. The AFKers are fine with that. Those dripping molten cheese for the most part will be fine with it - they'll just try to bring more cheese than the next guy.

But still, there's the former. From actual Fleet Battles to PUGmades, cheese-free matches could take place. It's up to the PvP Community to make that effort, and Cryptic seems willing to support that to an extent...it's a win-win for them.

As that community grows, bringing more folks into classic and cheese-free tourneys/matches... somewhere down the road, Cryptic "might" start adding more on the PvP side... sure, anything like Ker'rat will be a nightmare; but maybe if the PvP Community handles it right - the community could grow that Cryptic would even look at limited/unlimited queues and PvP areas.

In the end, it could very well be both a win-win for Cryptic and the PvP Community.

Unfortunately, while that's good in theory, it can also blow up in their faces. Trying to appease both sides can also potentially mean they'll tick off both sides royally.

Cryptic releases item A with ship B. This appeals to the 'more power' crowd. However, the PvP crowd (mostly) uniformly declares it OP, for whatever reason.

So the item or ship is nerfed.

This ticks off the 'power' crowd because their stuff got nerfed, and the PvP crowd is fine with the item. So Cryptic makes a 'middle ground' change to it, and from there, nobody is really happy anymore because PvPers might consider it re-OPed again, while the 'power' crowd just wants their item back how it was before.

And if this repeats several times...

Eventually people might be excited for something new, but also worried and annoyed that what they get will eventually be nerfed anyways.

Putting all that aside, nobody who PvPs is truly happy because more and more is being released that just adds heaps of cheese to places like the queues and Ker'rat. So nobody is really happy there, except those using it. The best example is the console swap; sure there's been some good consoles that each side has gotten, but that is also just it, both factions are gaining those consoles which only tosses in more and more cheese without really enhancing either side's enjoyment of the game or PvP.

I'm not saying there can't be a middle ground somewhere, it's more that the situation I described above is kind of starting to happen. There are player-initiatives, but that's also just it: PLAYER, not Cryptic.

I'm personally ok with new stuff. I like variety. I like seeing what kinds of interesting things they put into the game. But, I've never seen a game release THIS much stuff either. Namely just more and more of a power creep, blending the factions unique stuff into one thing, and so on.

Career Officer
# 55
01-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
How many bug ships do you see? .... People win them and then move on so they are no longer in the game.
I see them all the time in PvP. At times in the FvK matches, the lockbox ships on the Fed side are more numerous than all the others.