Captain
# 1 No Tholian NPC Contacts?
01-17-2013, 07:16 PM
According to Bran, we're not going to be getting Tholian NPC Contacts. At least, not in the foreseeable future.

This is really tying our hands, so if the Foundry devs could add at least the ships, that would be much appreciated.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Rihannsu
# 2
01-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Yeah, the Tholians are a rarely seen race in canon, but they are strongly associated with diplomacy. They are a quite aggressive race, but they understand the value of peace as well.

I'm not sure if there was even a single appearance that didn't have some sort of negotiations involved.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 3
01-17-2013, 09:12 PM
It's probably just a case they we were lucky to get what we got.

Last edited by kirksplat; 01-17-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Career Officer
# 4
01-17-2013, 09:13 PM
The major issue is that in addition to Tholian NPCs not being in, we can't select space contacts for dialogues. So, you can't even use a "blank" dialogue (with a Connie or Galaxy class ship shown as the contact), or a Tholian ship contact.

I don't really understand why we're not getting the contacts any time soon for? I don't believe for a minute that this is some sort of planned thing. It doesn't make sense that we can't have them do whatever we want them to. They are a sentient species, unlike say a Mugato or a Targ.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
01-18-2013, 04:56 AM
meh can't we have the ships as contacts atleast?
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
01-18-2013, 06:51 AM
I just hope they realize WHY we want these contacts.

It isn't to be petulant. It's because we want to make stories that are more in line with the Spirit of Trek, which is not blasting everything in site. And we want to do that without having to resort to workarounds, which are cumbersome and which not everyone may know how to do.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
# 7
01-18-2013, 07:03 AM
For space... can't you take a neutral ship and skin it to look like a Tholian ship? Then use that? I haven't tried it yet.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
01-18-2013, 07:16 AM
Nope. You can only make a reskin of something if it appears in the NPC Contacts tab. No Tholians in there, ground or space, and they are not in the custom costume maker either.

So, we cannot:

Make friendly combat Tholians.
Make single NPC Tholians that can be used with Talk to Contact.
Make Tholians appear in the dialogue box in any way shape or form.
Reskin a lower-level group of enemies as Tholians.

We get space combat mobs and ground combat mobs. That's it.

For the benefit of all, here's some workarounds:

Story-based:

-Use a generic ship npc as a talk to contact and tell everyone its a newly-designed Tholian communications vessel.
-In the plot, say that there's another humanoid race that's giving orders to the Tholians and have the player talk to them instead.
-Have the Tholians somehow take over a humanoid (telepathically?) to talk to us. Like in Independence Day.
-Use a console prop for the dialogue.

Mechanics-based:

-Put down a Tholian ground mob and move one of them behind an invisible wall (may have to use several walls). Move the rest of those Tholians to a cut-off corner of the map. Then you can have the player walk up to the trapped Tholian, interact with a hidden object and thus trigger dialogue, mimicking a talk to contact.

Anyone else got any they want to add? I feel comfortable giving up any and all techniques I use, I'm sure not all of you feel the same way and I understand, but as KF says a lot of these things are tribal knowledge, but that doesn't get passed down unless we pass it down.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic

Last edited by drogyn1701; 01-18-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Rihannsu
# 9
01-18-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm plannign to do a variant of s-2: have a humanoid race working FOR the Tholians do the talking.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Rihannsu
# 10
01-18-2013, 01:49 PM
First things first. when and where did he say they are not getting contacts now or soon?

second, yes we do need contacts and costumes, and i suspect this is purely a time/technical reason and they will eventually get added. I know we may not get the crystal version yet as we cant yet create EV suit type planets and thats was something they wanted to work around, but if they have given us EV mobs and ships then there must be able to add the ship costumes like every single other group so we can reskin them to be friendly, or NPC'S.

I so want to have the tholians talking smack to my captain, but I cant. I want some non combat ones walking around to add atmosphere to the mission, but i cant. i want some ships that dont attack you on site because its pretty important.

yes we can work round it, but why exactly are we having to? sometimes a straight answer is needed.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission