Captain
# 151
01-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Just a few numbers

Battleship Royal Rumble (longest running grinder type I know of) :
9,813 plays with ratings

First Cause, Then Effect (first spotlighted STORY mission with the new system) :
48,872 plays with ratings

No further comment
First Cause is almost as old as the Foundry. For a mission to have 1/5th of the plays in like 2 months is astonishing. The difference, of course, is that people don't usually replay First Cause.
Captain
# 152
01-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Took me about 1 month to get ~15 plays of A Cold Heart part 1 and ~10 plays of part 2, 90% of which I had to beg people directly to play.

Meh.
Career Officer
# 153
01-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
First Cause is almost as old as the Foundry. For a mission to have 1/5th of the plays in like 2 months is astonishing. The difference, of course, is that people don't usually replay First Cause.
Only one rating counts toward the numbers as far as I know, though, so if someone replays it doesn't add another rating, or am I wrong about that?

Either way, the fact the RR has so many plays so quickly is surprising...

You know, the truth is I don't even give a damn if the vast majority of the player base just wants to grind. Actually, in my opinion STO started out a lot better than it has ended up. The sale to PWE and the refocus on grinds and lockboxes has been a big negative, in my opinion. We'll never really know how STO could have been if they focused on storyline, because it didn't happen. Maybe it wouldn't have been as successful, who knows? As it stands, however, it's not really a surprise that most of the players are interested in grinds, IMO.

But the point is, if there is a small minority of people who enjoy story missions then they are worth making. If that stops being the case, then all of us can just move on.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.

Last edited by nagorak; 01-27-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Career Officer
# 154
01-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Mystery patch tomorrow, no notes so it's probably a nerf or three.

Congrats Hippiejon, kirkfat and the rest. I hope the playerbase recognizes who is responsible.

Edit: Tomorrow's patch has nothing to do with the Foundry. -Brandon

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 01-27-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Captain
# 155
01-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones1970 View Post
Or this is how we like to play , blow stuff up, not read for a hour.
Some of us like to read. Sometimes a good well written story is better than a no brainer blast fest.

If I was only interested in grinding, I'd play the Cryptic grind.

I like the foundry for Entertainment, and there are MANY very well written missions, written by VERY talented Authors. out there. If you don't like to read, it seems to me you are missing out on a lot of top quality stuff. Whether it is from laziness, or greed, we all have our opinions.

Do not trash what I like, simply because you don't. Let the authors do what they do best. Speaking for myself, I will continue to play story driven and multiple part missions, as long as the authors continue to write them.
I love nice long walks in the country.
Especially if they're taken by people who annoy me!
Ar ais olc leis an doer olc
Captain
# 156
01-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post

But the point is, if there is a small minority of people who enjoy story missions then they are worth making. If that stops being the case, then all of us can just move on.
I think it depends on the circumstances. If:

a. We're writing missions for an entirely different type of Star Trek game
b. We can't get folks to see or play our stories.
c. The general playerbase isn't interested.
d. Getting our stories to even qualify for rewards is difficult.

Then, I'd say yeah, it's probably time to move on. It's like we're trying use guest spots on the Jerry Springer Show to deliver episodes of The West Wing. People are throwing popcorn and screaming "Jerry! Jerry!"

At the very least, we're trying to salvage what is left of Star Trek in a game that no longer really cares about the IP. Is that harsh and elitist? Yes, a little. But it doesn't make it less true.
Career Officer
# 157
01-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkirkfan View Post
Do not trash what I like, simply because you don't. Let the authors do what they do best. Speaking for myself, I will continue to play story driven and multiple part missions, as long as the authors continue to write them.
The reaction is the way it is because you can go through this thread and seeing hippiejon and friends calling combat missions exploits and plotting ways to get them nerfed or removed. They can't walk it back, they went to crazytown and now own any nerfs that come down the pike.
Captain
# 158
01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindisbaddesign View Post
The reaction is the way it is because you can go through this thread and seeing hippiejon and friends calling combat missions exploits and plotting ways to get them nerfed or removed. They can't walk it back, they went to crazytown and now own any nerfs that come down the pike.
It's crazytown to ask you to earn your loot? Please explain why the devs should give you 500k ECs for blowing up a few defenseless ships.
Captain
# 159
01-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Blowing up 161 ships in a single Foundry mission that never shoot back yet drop oodles of loot isn't a problem?

Really?

Several hundred EC for doing nothing but clearing out my guns and watching a massive chain reaction seems kind of off to me.
Career Officer
# 160
01-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindisbaddesign View Post
actually this is what I have been saying.
you've just been so crazy town yourself defending your ability to cheat and exploit that you haven't been reading. here, have another opportunity.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=28

so, how was your day after i wished you a nice day ? You know, after you threatened to 1 star my misison.
I hope it was enjoyable.
I truly loved the 30 new 1 star ratings I got.
You're just amazing and so caring.
You do understand that I will wear all those 1 stars like badges of pride and honor.

please , keep taking the crazy pills and believe that there is some mad conspiracy of elite foundry authors who only want to ruin your game.
We sit around in smokey rooms plotting how we'll do it you know.
Wringing our hands together and cackling with glee we plot the secret downfall of your ability to gain marks and loot.

Pardon me, our recess is over. It's time to come up with our next horrible plot.
I have no further time to talk to you.
Closed Thread