Career Officer
# 211
01-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post
You're probably right. Having it as a daily -- even with clickies -- resulted in fewer clickie missions than we're seeing with grinders right now. It was a lot easier to find story missions then.

I do like the current system for my own story playstyle, but can see the overall benefit of the daily wrapper system in comparison.
The reason for changing the Daily to 20 minute repeatable is to try to bolster the flagging dilithium economy and help with the FM sinks which they royally screwed in S7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
I'll state this again, since "Foundry authors" are now being accused of a unified attempt to destroy grinders.

But just look at the list. It's not dominated by grinders, per say. It's dominated by exploits and Boff grinders. And the amount of them grows on a daily basis, since they take only 30 minutes to make.

Cryptic needs to fix that. It's bad for their economy and it's bad for Foundry authors who spent weeks or months crafting their stories. It's only good for the people that enjoy using an exploit.

Maybe we can hope for UI changes somewhere down the line. But for the meantime, they need squash easy money missions.

Only then will we really know how story and real grinders compete in the listings.

If players want the loot of 25 boss battles, they need to fight 25 bosses. If you disagree with that statement, then it's because you feel entitled to get something for doing nothing.
Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

1] It's not an exploit, if this is an exploit so is running "Spin the Wheel" every 20 minutes. You know what maybe I should just write a spin the wheel clone... except of course it wouldn't take 15 minutes to complete. That is the point none of these passive enemy missions are illegitimate according to the current measurement of what is and what is not acceptable for the daily reward, the stipulation is based essentially (with the added proviso that one must kill and enemy (once again Spin the Wheel would fall foul of this)) on time played. Until Cryptic decide it's illegitimate it is not an exploit.

2] It is improving Cryptics economy. As it stands the economy was in free-fall, that is the reason why they changed it from 20 hours to 20 minutes to get people to grind it, to help stabilize dilithium and offer a much need source of Fleet Marks. They wanted this to happen, indeed what else would they expect to happen?

3] There is no difference between a 15 minute Story Mission, a 15 Minute Active Enemy Grinder Mission and a 15 minute Passive Grinder Mission, they are all the same in terms of effort and time invested as they all take as long. No one is getting "something for nothing" because everyone has to spend on average 15 minutes in either type mission to get the rewards it's that simple.

Last edited by thisisoverlord; 01-29-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Captain
# 212
01-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisoverlord View Post
The reason for changing the Daily to 20 minute repeatable is to try to bolster the flagging dilithium economy and help with the FM sinks which they royally screwed in S7.
They increased Foundry rewards to try to encourage you to play Foundry missions. If the goal was something different, then there a million other places that they could have put fleet marks... like fleet actions.
Career Officer
# 213
01-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Quote:
They increased Foundry rewards to try to encourage you to play Foundry missions. If the goal was something different, then there a million other places that they could have put fleet marks... like fleet actions.
That was never their true intention, I know that as well as you do, if they really wanted to encourage people to play story missions they'd give added bonuses for playing the spotlights. Or they actually employ someone to review the Foundry Missions properly and give actual story missions rewards.
Captain
# 214
01-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Quote:
That was never their true intention, I know that as well as you do, if they really wanted to encourage people to play story missions they'd give added bonuses for playing the spotlights. Or they actually employ someone to review the Foundry Missions properly and give actual story missions rewards.
They've been trying to add unique spotlight rewards for about two months, but there is a bug with it. It was on tribble. I tested it and got a doff pack for playing the spotlight.

Please don't tell me what I do or don't know. And please don't presume to know the "true intentions" of Cryptic. Maybe instead, read what they tell us.

They've always been clear. Foundry rewards are rewards for playing Foundry missions. STF rewards are rewards for playing STFs. I'm not sure why you think otherwise.
Captain
# 215
01-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Quote:

Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

1] It's not an exploit, if this is an exploit so is running "Spin the Wheel" every 20 minutes. You know what maybe I should just write a spin the wheel clone... except of course it wouldn't take 15 minutes to complete. That is the point none of these passive enemy missions are illegitimate according to the current measurement of what and what is not acceptable for the daily reward, the stipulation is based essentially, with the added proviso that one must kill and enemy (once again Spin the Wheel would fall foul of this). Until Cryptic decide it's illegitimate it is not an exploit.

2] It is improving Cryptics economy. As it stands the economy was in free-fall, that is the reason why they changed it from 20 hours to 20 minutes to get people to grind it, to help stabilize dilithium and offer a much need source of Fleet Marks. They wanted this to happen, indeed what else would they expect to happen?

3] There is no difference between a 15 minute Story Mission, a 15 Minute Active Enemy Grinder Mission and a 15 minute Passive Grinder Mission, they are all the same in terms of effort and time invested as they all take as long. No one is getting "something for nothing" because everyone has to spend on average 15 minutes in either type mission to get the rewards it's that simple.
I was going to respond to this, but I sort of wore myself out trying to follow the reasoning. I'll let somebody else digest this post.
Career Officer
# 216
01-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Quote:
I was going to respond to this, but I sort of wore myself out trying to follow the reasoning. I'll let somebody else digest this post.
Lol like 99% of Foundry missions in testing there were a few words missing, it should read better now.
Career Officer
# 217
01-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Quote:
They've always been clear. Foundry rewards are rewards for playing Foundry missions. STF rewards are rewards for playing STFs. I'm not sure why you think otherwise.
What Cryptic say and what they actually do and why they actually do what they do are all very different things. Do you know of any developer that has been entirely honest 100% of the time to it's user base as to why they do something?
Captain
# 218
01-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Quote:
What Cryptic say and what they actually do and why they actually do what they do are all very different things. Do you know of any developer that has been entirely honest 100% of the time to it's user base as to why they do something?
It depends on the company's culture. The other MMO I play has a pretty honest, communicative staff. Cryptic has a reputation of being... rather cryptic. Which does put some of the more honest devs who do try to communicate honestly to players in a bit of a spot.
Career Officer
# 219
01-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictiki View Post
It depends on the company's culture. The other MMO I play has a pretty honest, communicative staff. Cryptic has a reputation of being... rather cryptic. Which does put some of the more honest devs who do try to communicate honestly to players in a bit of a spot.
This is true, to be honest the Dev that deals with Foundry stuff is pretty honest but if she's told to say something I doubt she has much choice in how she says it.

Either way this is all getting very flamey and non-constructive until the developers address this properly it's best to leave things as they are but I would still assert, that these grinding missions are not exploits at the moment and until Cryptic say otherwise that's the current reality.
Survivor of Romulus
# 220
01-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Quote:
This is true, to be honest the Dev that deals with Foundry stuff is pretty honest but if she's told to say something I doubt she has much choice in how she says it.

Either way this is all getting very flamey and non-constructive until the developers address this properly it's best to leave things as they are but I would still assert, that these grinding missions are not exploits at the moment and until Cryptic say otherwise that's the current reality.
Agreed. As I said in the other thread, we're just going to argue in circles. There's really not much more to say than has been said until we hear from Cryptic. I'm all for dropping it for now.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forums are like Sanctuary Districts, complete with Gimmes, Ghosts and Dims.
Closed Thread