Captain
# 51
01-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post
Something we did in the Mission Architect in CoH (for much the same reason) was include our own "tag" in either the title or description text. It was [sfma], which identified story-focused missions. You could then search on [sfma] or sfma and find those missions.
Of course these 5 characters would account for about half those available for a title in STO. You could cut it down to "-S" I guess but the real solution is a better sorting mechanism in the foundry itself.

I think the REAL issue is with the community itself. Having been posting in the STO forums for a little over a year now, I am firmly convinced that 99% of the complaining is done just to complain for its own sake. Whenever an actual, viable solution to anything is proposed it is ignored, shouted down, or overwhelmed by obviously stupid and unworkable ideas; preferably those which punish the "wrong kind" of player.
Survivor of Romulus
# 52
01-24-2013, 04:09 PM
There's more available characters there than you might think.

one of my missions is entitled "[HoloHistory] Klach D'Kel Brakt" and it all fit.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Commander
# 53
01-24-2013, 05:03 PM
So after reading most of this post. I have some questions. I am in a fleet of only 20 active players. we are all friends in RL so were not toging to split up. We need Fleetmarks badly. We have found that by doing a grinder every 30 min for 50 marks (and 600k EC for the 1st run) if we all run it 3 of 4 times we can generate enough capital to fund the current project. So what choice do we have? Cryptic put large Fleet mark demands on our star base projects, Getting 50 marks every 30min for a 10/12 min mission pushed us into Foundry grinders. If they had a fleet queue mission that was that fast, that easy, with that payout. I wouldent be playing grinders, So whats the answer? I think of there was a Doff mission that took 30 min and dropped 50 marks or a fleet PVE mission that had a good payout that did not take forever to queue for and 30-40 min to complete, the grinders might go away.
Survivor of Romulus
# 54
01-24-2013, 05:11 PM
The "I'm in a small fleet" argument keeps coming up over and over.

Why do you need the fleet marks? Why do you need to have a t5 starbase. What part of this game can't you enjoy without grinding fleet marks?

Choose not to grind. Choose to play and enjoy. Accept that as a small fleet you will not have a t5 starbase for years, if ever. If you really, really want the rewards, grow your fleet or leave and find a big one. Otherwise you will always be at too much of a disadvantage, you will always fell like you're forced to grind and I suspect you won't enjoy much of it. Its a gear treadmill that goes no where, there's no progression for which you need the fleet gear.

But really it makes no nevermind to me. I'd be fine with leaving the grinder missions in there if I could filter them out when searching for a mission and I suspect there'd be a lot of people who would be fine with being able to filter out our story missions. So let's get a better mission selection UI, win/win.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic

Last edited by drogyn1701; 01-24-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Captain
# 55
01-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
Categorized search UI for the Foundry: Problem solved.
If I were a crafty Cryptic employee I'd tie all the categories to the 11 Commendation types and in addition to current rewards apply a token CXP (50 - 75) of the appropriate type.

Cryptic really needs to start unifying all their systems so they all make sense and synergize instead of laying on bloated grind after bloated grind.

Last edited by atomictiki; 01-24-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Commander
# 56
01-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Well my Fleet PVP's and to stay competitive we need the Fleet gear and ships. And beacuse of these missions we are working on tier 4 right now. So for us they are a neccassary evil.
Career Officer
# 57
01-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post
I guess it's a matter of perspective and why you develop the missions. When I wrote missions for the Mission Architect in CoH, I never received a lot of reviews compared to the major authors. This was in part because I didn't advertise them on the forums, nor was I a part of an Architect site or group.

For the most part, I wrote content I wanted to play, often with my wife and daughter. Family and friends played my missions quite often (but of course could only rate once). If others played and enjoyed them, that was icing on the cake.

The same will be true when I take the plunge Foundry authoring, except that I will most likely participate more in the forums. The toolset is more complex, so tips and tricks will be appreciated, and the storytelling capability in Foundry far outstrips the MA. Feedback will be welcome.
I don't think it's that. The reward for making missions is close to zero, so a big part of making it is that you enjoy making them. But with your missions I doubt you spent more than a hundred hours on each one. A major part of the reward is knowing that people out there have enjoyed your work.

Just from a logical standpoint, I can't devote that sort of time I do to my missions if only a handful of people play them. In that case, the time I spend is not balanced out enough by the enjoyment others get out of the mission.

But, look, the truth is, so far I haven't had any reason to complain. I very well may not have any problems when I finally finish my next mission either.

I do completely agree that we need separate categories in the Foundry list.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Commander
# 58
01-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner View Post
Of course these 5 characters would account for about half those available for a title in STO. You could cut it down to "-S" I guess but the real solution is a better sorting mechanism in the foundry itself.
Then put it in the description field. It will still show up in the search even if you are searching on titles.

I've found that with other missions when I put parts of titles in the search; if any of those words appeared in the description text of other missions, they showed up in the search results.
Commander
# 59
01-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
I don't think it's that. The reward for making missions is close to zero, so a big part of making it is that you enjoy making them. But with your missions I doubt you spent more than a hundred hours on each one. A major part of the reward is knowing that people out there have enjoyed your work.

Just from a logical standpoint, I can't devote that sort of time I do to my missions if only a handful of people play them. In that case, the time I spend is not balanced out enough by the enjoyment others get out of the mission.

But, look, the truth is, so far I haven't had any reason to complain. I very well may not have any problems when I finally finish my next mission either.

I do completely agree that we need separate categories in the Foundry list.
It's true that I didn't put that many hours into my missions (the MA did not have enough functionality or space allotment for that).

I hope I didn't come off sounding rude in my last post; it wasn't my intention.

When I write for UGC, it's mostly stuff I want to play myself, either solo or with family/friends. I sincerely hope others will enjoy it as well, but that is less of a factor for me.

On the hand, with my book, I do hope many other people enjoy it. That's the primary reason I wrote it. So I do understand your viewpoint there.
Captain
# 60
01-24-2013, 07:07 PM
If it were only for myself, I'd do some cool backgrounds and automated devices (bartenders, whatever) and that would be it.

I have no interest in writing for myself. I already have thoughts, and they don't require wrangling with a quirky (to put it kindly) system to enjoy.
Closed Thread